• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Best 2 bike lightweight enclosed trailer is ????

frankrca

I am looking for a 2 bike ( sport touring and sport bike at present, but would take 2 touring bikes) lightweight ( up to 1400 lbs) trailer. I wish to pull it with a car e.g. Subaru that has a trailer rating of 3000 lbs. the enclosed trailer should be easy to pull and may need brakes if close to the 3000 lb limit loaded. Please give recommendations. Thanks

Diamond C was the best made trailer I could find. Look at the welds, I found many had poor welding with the trailer painted after the wood bed was installed. That is unless you go with aluminum which probably the best if you are willing to spend the money. My 5x8 was about 1200 and had 12 inch sides and folding gate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironhorse trailers look like they would pull easy because of their low air resistance.
http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/product/2-bike-fliptop-trailer/

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/photo-gallery-of-motorcycle-trailer/#prettyPhoto

2bikefrontview-300x300.jpg

That's a nice trailer design. I too am in the market for a small hauler, so I requested some pricing info. Thanks Lee!

They're not cheap :)

A friend has a Excalibur which is very similar and it's a nice setup. Not sure if Excalibur is still in business.

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

This usually ruins peoples day but perhaps saves an accident from the "tail wagging the dog". If the Subaru has a hitch now, try towing something similar before you commit. I find tow ratings very over-rated.
YMMV.
OM

This usually ruins peoples day but perhaps saves an accident from the "tail wagging the dog". If the Subaru has a hitch now, try towing something similar before you commit. I find tow ratings very over-rated.
YMMV.
OM

That's a good suggestion.

I think that you may be hard pressed to "safely" tow a 2 bike enclosed with a car. It is going to have a fairly large amount of wall and winds and trucks are really going to impact stability out on the highway.

Pulled an open trailer with Subaru

That had a total weight of 1500 lbs with no difficulty. I realize a higher box design would not be good. The Ironhorse has an aerodynamic design that may be the answer. Thanks for the suggestion of try before you buy. Now to find someone who will rent their trailer or has one loaded with about 1000 lbs of cargo for me to try out.

You could always swing by a U-Haul store and try something. I'm not familiar with hitch set ups for Subaru. I'm kinda a fan of the 2" receiver hitches although not a fan of the "blister coat" they now use rather than paint.
OM

Frontal area might be a bigger concern than actual weight. My Cummins Dodge gets the same mileage towing my bike trailer as it does hauling the 24 foot enclosed car hauler. My point is an enclosed trailer might be more load than a 3000 pound open trailer.

I think that you may be hard pressed to "safely" tow a 2 bike enclosed with a car. It is going to have a fairly large amount of wall and winds and trucks are really going to impact stability out on the highway.

I put 3 bikes in this one and tow at 80+, got a speeding ticket to prove it. Kids tell me they took it over 100mph, just to see if they could.

I find that the US UNDERrates towing capacity, in Europe you see all kinds of small cars pulling very big camping trailers up and down the mountains no less. If memory serves me correct he Saab in the picture is rated 1000/100 lbs in the US, and 1500/150 KG in Europe.

SAAB%20TRL%20SMALL.jpg

RED FLASH is all one sees

When you and the kids take out the car pulling the trailer. What is the weight of your trailer empty? Brand?

When you and the kids take out the car pulling the trailer. What is the weight of your trailer empty? Brand?

It is made by R&R out of Michigan Aluminum frame Dexter torsion axle. I put brakes on it. It is a 6x10 V nose (45degree V) so close to 13' front of the V to back doors, also standard height most enclosed are 6" taller than standard. I also rotated the axle and put low profile tires on it for less wind resistance, probably dropped it 4 inches. Not sure what it weighs empty, my guess is 1500 lbs. But it will fit 3 bikes, and gear for track days, have hauled it several times probably close to 3500 lbs.

I put 3 bikes in this one and tow at 80+, got a speeding ticket to prove it. Kids tell me they took it over 100mph, just to see if they could.

I find that the US UNDERrates towing capacity, in Europe you see all kinds of small cars pulling very big camping trailers up and down the mountains no less. If memory serves me correct he Saab in the picture is rated 1000/100 lbs in the US, and 1500/150 KG in Europe.

SAAB%20TRL%20SMALL.jpg

I hope nobody else is on the road when you blow a tire. On either the trailer or car.

I hope nobody else is on the road when you blow a tire. On either the trailer or car.

I don't buy cheap tires, and just like on the bike am acutely aware of my vehicles feedback. I can detect a 5 psi loss in the bike, and about the same in a car, by the seat of my pants.

I don't buy cheap tires, and just like on the bike am acutely aware of my vehicles feedback. I can detect a 5 psi loss in the bike, and about the same in a car, by the seat of my pants.

You are good. And hug your kids, they are lucky to be alive.

Back