• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airhead vs Oilhead

I am lucky enough to have a Airhead and an R1200RT. The RT is my daily driver, I keep the Airhead for nostalgia reasons and in case of zombie apocalypse when electronic ignitions won't work. What those other posters said is dead on.
Airheads are easier to work on but you get to do it more often. They also have problems with modern
fuels. But, in my wife's opinion, the biggest factor to own a modern design is SAFETY. ABS, tubeless radial tires, fuel injection and suspension improvements have not only improved the experience but have made it safer.

I have a R100RT and a R1200RT. Yesterday I rode the Airhead to visit a friend who lives about 20 miles away. On a backroad I met a car that was in the middle of the road in a curve. I got on the brakes and over as far as I could. Made it ok.
But, the first thing that came to my mind was, what a huge difference in the SAFETY ! R1200RT...The great ABS brakes , super handling, tires that grip in any condition, suspension that really works in any situation add up to a real world, life saving difference.
R100RT....The Airhead is fun to ride and work on and I really like it but weak brakes, ill handling, less than great tires that work best on dry pavement add up to some scary moments on the road.

So, my vote would be for the newest bike you can afford.

I was just thinking about this thread yesterday when I had to get mom's digital thermometer out to take her temperature.

Sure enough, the button cell battery in the high tech wonder was dead.

So I got out my mercury thermometer. Amazingly after all these years, it works...all the time. :laugh

I was just thinking about this thread yesterday when I had to get mom's digital thermometer out to take her temperature.

Sure enough, the button cell battery in the high tech wonder was dead.

So I got out my mercury thermometer. Amazingly after all these years, it works...all the time. :laugh

Although I currently ride an oilhead, and like it, I would be the first to agree that there is certainly a down side to every high tech step we are all forced to take these days. I'm happy that BMW motorcycles seem to be cutting edge bikes these days, and, according to the MOA news, win many awards. But I have to say, I am usually saddened to read about the new BMW's electronic suspension systems, ride by wire throttles, electronic cruise control, computer controlled this and that, etc. I fear my somewhat simple 1100 is the last "modern" bike I could own that I could both a) tackle all maintenance on, and b) be able to afford to own from a parts and repair standpoint. Maybe that is why airheads will still be being ridden thirty years from now. Like the old VW engines and cars; they were a timeless design.

airhead 1 oilhead 0

I've had oilhead,k bikes and my trusty airhead and simple by design sums it up the best. I dislike having to rely on any stealer for any work If I can avoid it at all. I cut my teeth on airheads and they are easy to keep up and IMHO don't take anymore and even less care than my oilhead.I would put off maintainence on the 1100rt cause of the plastic stuff even though it takes only 10 min. to remove. Power is no problem since as I age I am slowing down much more so I care not at all that some other guy passes by on a modern bike. I will tell you that when I am with some Harley buddies and we stop for lunch the crowd is standing around looking at my green 100rt and not the overpriced dime a dozen Harleys. The character of my airhead is much greater than my old oiler.I can do services in my sleep.Familiarity is a good thing when you travel far and wide on a 30 + year old bike.Yet they are all good and far ahead of other brands.

I've had oilhead,k bikes and my trusty airhead and simple by design sums it up the best. I dislike having to rely on any stealer for any work If I can avoid it at all. I cut my teeth on airheads and they are easy to keep up and IMHO don't take anymore and even less care than my oilhead.I would put off maintainence on the 1100rt cause of the plastic stuff even though it takes only 10 min. to remove. Power is no problem since as I age I am slowing down much more so I care not at all that some other guy passes by on a modern bike. I will tell you that when I am with some Harley buddies and we stop for lunch the crowd is standing around looking at my green 100rt and not the overpriced dime a dozen Harleys. The character of my airhead is much greater than my old oiler.I can do services in my sleep.Familiarity is a good thing when you travel far and wide on a 30 + year old bike.Yet they are all good and far ahead of other brands.

I too own an '81 R100RT and I hear every word you said.

Nicely put, and within reach, although even the iconic/ stock airhead exhaust note can be enhanced

"Living the Dream" :brow

There is a guy in Germantown,Oh..that makes / used to make true dual exhaust for Oilheads. Actually using the OEM mufflers on his S/S header pipes. I heard one...an R-1100 & it sounded really nice & yet "quiet" Sorta air-head[ish] ? but deeper. Hard to explain but trust me ....y'all would like it. The "brand" is /was Epco. Pricey but really nice quality. But as a business he is next to impossible to deal with. Seldom answers the phone, doesn't reply to emails....& or...he's backed up...no idea when he'll be caught up, etc & so-on. Years back I tried for over a year to get a set made for my R11RS...it never happened.:banghead

Cheap way to improve the sound from the stock oilhead exhaust is to have a machine shop cut a piece from the top section of the cat converter chamber then, with a grinder, remove the cat and weld back together. You will have a nice deep exhaust note not to noisy just a bit louder. I think your transmission might even run a bit cooler and happier especially in slow stop and go traffic, maybe.

Not my point

Big potential for conflict and flaming here, but my comments related to retention of the stock (or further enhanced) "Airhead" exhaust while allowing it to perform as good (or dare we say) "Better" than oilhead performance.
Not just theory on this, hence the mention of "Livin the Dream".

only had two

I had a 83 R80St airhead and loved it. Wore it out. Now I have a 1998 R1200C and am trying to wear it out. We will see this one may beat my old ass and be one of my kids.

Back