• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CAT plug question

eastbay

I was browsing through the topics and came by A discussion of cat plugs. My bike has some surging so I looked in my relay box and I have a yellow cat plug I saw one suggestion under this topic that said you could try pulling it out and it would run richer and shouldn’t cause any issue. So I pulled it out and took it for a ride and damn if the surging wasn’t completely eliminated. I know it’s got to be in there for some reason probably trying to meet some EPA standard. My bike a 2000 RTStill has the cat. Is running richer going to mess the cat up and if so what would be the best way just to eliminate the cat there are no inspections here in Florida. Here is an excerpt from the topic but I can’t seem to find it right now.

Check the actual manufacture date of your bike. Like my 94RS, if it is an early model Oilhead (mine was an Oct 93 build) it does not have any Cat Code plug to replace. Early Oilheads, (before changes were made to the engine controls) did not use a Cat Code relay like the yellow one mentioned in the article. Early Oilheads operated in an open-loop control mode all the time, which means they always ran slightly richer fuel mix than the later models. The grey relay is for the starter and by installing the pink relay it obviously is the reverse logic of the grey relay, and the starter cranks.

If your bike is an early Oilhead as I suspect it is, there is no yellow relay to replace. Also, pre-yellow relay Oilheads typically did not have surging issues either. Mine never did. I did do the air intake tube mod on my 94 RS and it did improve low/mid-range torque. But it also produces a lot more air intake "honk" which you will hear when you get on the throttle especially if you use a K&N filter like I did with my bike.

It's a jumper plug, not a relay.

Lots of previous discussions about this...

First, yes the bike is set up for a catalytic converter for use in the USA, and it's the right color as far as the factory is concerned. It is indeed part of the EPA requirement.
Yes too rich of a fuel mixture can lead to more buildup of unburned crud inside the cat, reducing its effectiveness (or maybe even clogging it in extreme cases, such as using an oil not intended for cat use).
Eliminating the cat would reduce the back pressure of the exhaust system, possibly beyond the computer's range to adapt (an AF-XiED "O[SUB]2[/SUB] sensor manipulator" might take care of that).
Is the O[SUB]2[/SUB] sensor still plugged in to the harness, is it still actually functional (tests are in other threads here)? They sometimes fail due to age or heat.
If the cat plug is pulled - Does your bike have a "mixture potentiometer"? The computer will look for that; if it's not "found" it will default to some factory setting.

A while back, Roger04 posted a pretty complete description of which plug does what, and the effect of changing it - attached below.

Attachments

• CCP Coding Explained.txt
    8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
So, to be clear, is it a bad idea to run without Cat plug with cat installed and working O2 sensor? It seems to run better and has no surging. I had an R1100 rs that. Did not surge, but had a techclusion.

"Usually" the surging can be greatly reduced by being Absolutely Anal about your tuneup - valve clearances, TPS setting, idle stop screws and cable adjustments, decent sparkplugs (many of us strongly favor the Autolite AP3923 for these bikes), etc.
Do those first ... then decide... It may or may not be "better". An exhaust analyzer may be of some help, to see real-time if it's too lean or too rich.

I’ll edit the title to reflect CAT Plug rather than CAT relay. It will help in future searches.
OM

"Usually" the surging can be greatly reduced by being Absolutely Anal about your tuneup - valve clearances, TPS setting, idle stop screws and cable adjustments, decent sparkplugs (many of us strongly favor the Autolite AP3923 for these bikes), etc.
Do those first ... then decide... It may or may not be "better". An exhaust analyzer may be of some help, to see real-time if it's too lean or too rich.
Thanks. Put the plug back in. Already installed the Autolites when I first got the bike. Going to finish the rest of the tuneup when I get a chance. Will report back with results.

Back