• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ignorant Newbie Wants BMW Buying Advice

November 30 is the forum default for those that have not specified a particular date. If it happens to be THE day, Happy Birthday!

:bar

OM

A default birth date?? Leave it to the internet as in who would have guessed I mean a default birth date? Talk about complexity just for the halibut now Oregon has self serve gas. Isn't that just great? NOT!!! The $%#^&& governor just signed the bill. But..a gas station must dedicate half its pumps to full serve at the same price as its self serve pumps. What a joke now we have to learn gas pump technology,Grrrrr..... When is it all going to end as in keep it simple and who wants to stand out in the weather trying to figure out how to use a gas pump? Not me! No doubt all the CA transplants are going to just love it. More Grrrrrr...

Topic is advice for buying a BMW...self service stations really doesn't have anything to do with it!!

Let's all put our heads on our desks and have a little quiet time now. :)

I suggest you buy the new Honda Transalp, or a CB500X. :rolleyes :D

IMG_1747-X2.jpg

IMO, Airhead, Oilheads, Hex/Camheads, Wetheads, etc. all have their pros and cons. It depends on what you want, what you are willing to deal with and how much you can spend. There's been plenty written about each model's pros and cons, so do the research and figure out which fits you best. I think you'll be happy with either of them as long as you understand their strengths and weaknesses.

I sincerely appreciate this community, and the advice offered to me. Yes I am balancing brain-think against heart-feel. I am scared of the wetheads. I am not a high-tech sort. I am an old fart. I do not trust all that computer wizardry and all those various systems and features. Just more stuff to potentially fail, I fear.

I want something suitable for occasional touring, but otherwise less bulky than an RT. I think a late-model ('03 or '04) 1150r or GS would be a good bike for me. But someone suggested I ride various models and I will ride a 2010 R1200GS camhead today. I posted a request for input on the Camhead forum this morning. In my view, more power and still easy maintenance and high reliability.

I have no plans to visit any gas pumps today. I just don't need that kind of stress in my life right now. ;)

It didn’t stop me from buying one since I have a great independent shop nearby, but one more thing for you to consider (I don’t mean to add to your angst) is that many dealers won’t work on older models. Sometimes just 10 years old and they’ll refuse. Check any local dealer and ask if you’re planning on not doing the maintenance.

Thank you. I am not super worried about that. I rarely take anything to a shop, and basically never to a dealership.

Back