• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Valve Adjustment?

Yeah, I saw that. A bunch of people who have not actually done the job, discussing "how it might" be done. I thought by now, someone would have done the deed.

Checking is easy, just get top dead center:
02ValvePhotos201copy.jpg

Insert the feeler gauge between the valve shim and the follower and check for spec.

Adjusting is a bit more complicated as the shims need to come out. So do that the cams need to come out.

Remove the cam cage:
02ValvePhotos6copy.jpg

02ValvePhotos50.jpg

The cams literally fall out.

Lift the follower:
02ValvePhotos52.jpg

Use a magnet to pull out the shim.

Reverse to put back together.

It is a little more complicated than that, but easily doable by the home tech with standard tools.

By the way, some info you might find useful:

LINK TO WETHEAD SERVICE SCHEDULE!

Link to Tool Lists Download in Word Format!

Link to Valve Chart!

Link to Torque Values!

Jim :brow

Looking good, thanks. Too bad it uses a new style shim. I have a good supply of the hemispherical old style I use on my K bike.

Is there an engineering justification for moving from threaded adjuster, to semisphere, to a differently-shaped shim, all for generally-similar 4-valve twins within a period of four years?

Is there an engineering justification for moving from threaded adjuster, to semisphere, to a differently-shaped shim, all for generally-similar 4-valve twins within a period of four years?

I guess you would have to ask BMW.

BTW, the Camhead has been around longer than 4 years.

I expect it has to do with reducing the valve check/adjust frequency.

Threaded adjuster for pushrods, shims for overhead cam. Overhead cam is sometimes thought of as better because there are fewer moving parts and less reciprocating mass -- the rods and the rocker arms. Others will disagree that it's a better/worse comparison, just different.

The overhead cam is a vast improvement in valve workings (as mentioned above). Overhead cam systems use shims of one sort or another. I suspect the three year run of the cam head using hemispherical shims was ended because the new shims are lighter, smaller and flat on both sides. Of course there must be other contributing reasons as this is such a totally different engine other than twin opposed. In the new engine the shims just slip into the designed hole on top of the valve stem/keeper in the upper spring retaining disk. Very slick. They cost about $4.50 each and there are 21 sizes. If you work on a couple of bikes you can start collecting a few, but it is turning out that the system is very stable. Official maintenance is; check the valves every 12K miles.

I imagine returning the cams to their proper position will be the next instruction needed. Other than that, it looks pretty straightforward. No chains to mess with, just align the gears.

I imagine returning the cams to their proper position will be the next instruction needed. Other than that, it looks pretty straightforward. No chains to mess with, just align the gears.

If the flywheel is locked or otherwise has not moved then putting the cams back in the same orientation that they were removed should be enough. I'm copying Jim's picture that showed a ruler on the flats of the cam. Remove the cams this way. Install the cams this way.

02ValvePhotos201copy.jpg

Nota bene: if you loosen the cam sprockets (you don't need to and shouldn't) then all bets are off. So don't do that.

Thank you. That is what I have been wondering about.

Not as simple as the hex head, but a lot better than a new K-bike.

Question about which adjustment plate (shim) size to use...

Hey Jim, sorry about the lame question, but with 21 different choices of adjustment plate to purchase, how do you know which is the correct set to order? And by the way, I've ordered you DVD, which should make it to my home next week in Charleston, SC. In the meantime, I was curious how this small feat is accomplished. Since I must order the shims before I open everything up...you can see where i'm going with this. Thanks to anyone who can answer my question.

Hey Jim, sorry about the lame question, but with 21 different choices of adjustment plate to purchase, how do you know which is the correct set to order? And by the way, I've ordered you DVD, which should make it to my home next week in Charleston, SC. In the meantime, I was curious how this small feat is accomplished. Since I must order the shims before I open everything up...you can see where i'm going with this. Thanks to anyone who can answer my question.

Harold you must first inspect and or measure the shim your bike came with. If the clearance is to tight usually going down 1 size will get you in spec. I would measure the clearance and calculate for the most accuracy.

Harold you must first inspect and or measure the shim your bike came with. If the clearance is to tight usually going down 1 size will get you in spec. I would measure the clearance and calculate for the most accuracy.

Correct. It really is that simple. It is pretty rare you will need to replace a shim, but if you do you can swap it out fairly easily.

I talked to a mechanic at a BMW dealer. He said that none of the wetheads have needed any valve adjustments, at least the ones that have come through his shop. That sounds good.

Harry

Probably a dumb question, but here goes:

So with the throttle-by-wire, am I correct in assuming the days of synchronizing throttle bodies are over, at least as far as wetheads go?

Harry

Thanks, Jim.

I adjusted the valves on my old RT today and will synchronize throttle bodies tomorrow. I hope to switch to a new GS, and am gathering information on it, but have to sell the old RT first, a challenge with the weather being what it is in the NE.

Harry

Back