• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 BMW GSA 12k Valve Adjustment

eagletalon

Hello,

I am looking for a reputable independent shop or dealer in the Orlando, Florida area to perform the 12k valve adjustment. I will be doing the rest of the 12k mile service, but not comfortable enough yet to do the valves.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

If you get your bike up to Rhode Island, I'll do the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks for FREE.
You just pay for consumables.

Let me know.
Brad Smith

Hello,

I am looking for a reputable independent shop or dealer in the Orlando, Florida area to perform the 12k valve adjustment. I will be doing the rest of the 12k mile service, but not comfortable enough yet to do the valves.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

If you're comfortable with most of the 12k service except the valves, I'm guessing the valves will still be in spec, just the gaps will need checked. I use JVB's video to do this on my laptop (no wifi in my garage). YMMV.
http://jimvonbaden.com/JVB_Productions.html

If you get your bike up to Rhode Island, I'll do the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks for FREE.
You just pay for consumables.

Let me know.
Brad Smith

If I was closer to Rhode Island I would certainly take you up on that offer as I want to learn to do this myself, maybe someday?

As a side note I grew up in Fall River and we enjoyed going down to Newport, Tiverton, etc.

Jon

valve adjustment

I've had one valve out of adjustment in 170,000 miles and it was loose. great bike

I just did the valves on my camhead and only had one that was BARELY out on the loose end. Quick trip to the dealer to grab a shim and button it back up and she's good to go.

I know lots of folks loved the screw and lock nut adjustment, but in my opinion, the shims are easier (other than having to go pick up a shim).

CamHeads vs WetHead/ShiftHead are very, very different in the shim choices available to set the Valve Clearances desired.

With the CamHead, if you are at the limit of clearance, you have only 1 shim choice to keep it in the proper range since the Hemispherical shims are only available in 0.05mm increments.

On the WetHead/ShiftHead, the availability of 0.02mm spacing of the 8.90mm shims gives you greater latitude to hit the target clearance you really want.

i-VQK77SB-S.jpg

I would say go to standard motorcycle in orlando but I lost track of them after they moved. Have some fun with it. Call Blockhead!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was closer to Rhode Island I would certainly take you up on that offer as I want to learn to do this myself, maybe someday?

As a side note I grew up in Fall River and we enjoyed going down to Newport, Tiverton, etc.

Jon
Hmm.

Personally, I'd say it's worth the ride. I know it was for me, and I'm 2K from Rhode Island. :scratch

Last edited:
Damn! now you have me thinking!

Don't think about it. It's only @ 1000 each way. IMO, You Simply CANNOT find anyone else better to take care of your scooter than Brad. He took care of mine, after a dealer screwed it up so bad, instead of riding my 15, I chose the 07. My 15 now runs better than it ever did.

And again, it's actually a little less than 1k according to google maps - presuming I have a "close guess" to where you're actually located. I DO know where Brad is...;)

Last edited:
I watched Boxflyers videos (excellent) and used the moa parts discount earlier this year to buy all $500+ worth of BMW tools for about $300.

At 50k, I had all valves within spec and cam timing was spot on. Two intakes were at the low end of spec so may have to adjust a couple next time.

I've been doing my own maintenance for 40 years but the valve service is something most mechanics can do. Checking the clearance is easy, you likely will not need to adjust anything.

Back