• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

$26.5k...amazing

Nice looking bike. Not my style though. I hope they sell lots of them and keep North American folks working.
HDs have never been my 'thing' but they are good quality machines that are quite comfortable. HD is king in my neck of the woods.
If I ever won the lottery, there would be one or two in my stable, keeping company with Japanese, Germans, Italians...
speed sfely

With my apologies in advance to the mods

So now we rip riders who have limited skills, inclination etc and more money? Frankly, from questions on this forum and others I have read, that attitude turns a lot of MOA members and potential members into second class citizens along with Mojo less H-D CVO riders.

You are 100% right H-D makes more money off CVO models. Isn't that what companies do: find niches they can exploit with their manufacturing abilities to make a profit? I have a grand daughter who turned 13 yesterday and has gotten H-D stock for her birthdays and Christmas for the H-D riding side of her family all those years and is very happy with H-D making a profit.

I was curious to find a reaction to the concept of mass customization in relation to BMW and the BMW community of riders. But ripping on H-D riders and H-D is, as usual, the order of the day.

I will leave the thread to all of you to carry on.

I agree. Would I buy one ? No...not what I like. But hey, buy what ya want, enjoy it, how you will. I make fun of no mans motorcycle.

When I was a teenager, [in the 60s] I saw a 49 Ford pickup , had to have it. So I bought it ...all my buddies thought I'd lost my mind. Why'd you buy a truck??? Now?..everybody wants one....:brow

Nice looking bike. Not my style though. I hope they sell lots of them and keep North American folks working.
HDs have never been my 'thing' but they are good quality machines that are quite comfortable. HD is king in my neck of the woods.
If I ever won the lottery, there would be one or two in my stable, keeping company with Japanese, Germans, Italians...
speed sfely

Yes, these machines are so much better than the dead AMF crap I saw everywhere when I was a teenage punk rider.
HD would be a lotto prize for me, too. Too many other bikes of interest out there if it involves money I worked for.
But if I did want a classic old school HD, but a current model, I can't imagine anything other than an ElectraGlide for all that money. Classic old model!
As an Airhead, my other one would be a sorted out punched out bare bones old Sportster, points and carbs thank you! I think such a pair would capture everything riding a Harley is about. Sure as hell wouldn't trailer them!

I recently went for a ride with my GS and a buddy on an Electraglide. We stopped for lunch as restaurant in CT. Nobody seemed to notice him in his stereotypical Harley garb, but everyone looked at me like an alien craft had just crash landed in the parking lot. Turns out that I'm the one in the funny "costume".

Well stated by all, especially bashing another rider because he drives something else, not very nice...:brow...however......I have owned a Harley, was a HOG member, even earned my broken Harley wings thanks to the 80 year old blind and deaf lady. I get more snears and "look at that cute little bike, he's not a real motorcycle driver because he wears a helmet and safety gear" from the weekend Harley crowd than any other. Hell I was driving from Kennesaw GA to Cocoa Beach FL one day and stopped for a piss break when these two guys pulled next to me with two beautiful Harley's on a trailer. "hey look at that cute little bike, you taking it out around the neighbor hood for a little spin?" My reply...why I am, 500 mile spin thank you and you? Open mouth and looking at each other like idiots.
Not saying all here, but it seems like you get a group of Harley guys next to you and they look at you with an air of contemp, like your not a real biker or something.:banghead Don't get me wrong here, I can also say I've seen some real as$&@ holes on BMW's too. So let's stop bashing each other and show some class, it's tough enough already with the four wheel, texting, eating, farting, booger picking and general jerk drivers in cars. I'm done now :sick
PS my bike is old and cute....1974 R60/6, daily driver.

I have a couple of V-Rods and more BMWs. Those V-Rods are not the first HD products to cycle through my garage. What makes me laugh is when I make parts runs to the Harley dealer on the K bike, people look at it and talk with me. If I roll up on the V-Rod there is complete silence and the bandanaheads with their made in China company soldiers uniforms all look at me like I just unzipped my fly and wagged my weenie at them. Maybe I should! I have been told to my face it is not "American" and "not a Harley Davidson".

The guys with the bikes on the trailers? I ask what it's like with the Good Sams Club. With the Harley crowd you have to have a comeback or they eat you alive.

When I shopped for my first V-Rod I wore a shirt I bought at a BMW dealer in Arizona (south of Phoenix, cant remember the name) that has a BMW logo above a HD logo. Above the BMW logo it says "This is your brain". Above the HD logo it says "This is your brain on drugs". Below the HD emblem it says "Any questions?". That shirt cleared the air more than once. They are ok once they know you can dish it back at them, which I do, gleefully.

And, yes, years ago before helmets were mandatory in California, I got tossed more than once from HD gatherings because I always wore a full face helmet. I even got tossed out of an independent shop because the stupid little grommet behind the parts counter wanted to know why I was carrying a back pack. When I told him I was a student at Cal State Northridge and that was my book bag he tossed me on my ear saying "get out of here little school boy". I was a grown man and I had more money than that a-hole ever had. I never went back. Idiot didn't see the coming demographic change in HD ownership, lol. His loss.

I bash some of the HD crowd because they are so frigging dysfunctional and do not apologize for doing so.

I agree. Would I buy one ? No...not what I like. But hey, buy what ya want, enjoy it, how you will. I make fun of no mans motorcycle.

When I was a teenager, [in the 60s] I saw a 49 Ford pickup , had to have it. So I bought it ...all my buddies thought I'd lost my mind. Why'd you buy a truck??? Now?..everybody wants one....:brow

Dude, riders on the Harley forums laugh at the CVO stuff, citing the same things I mentioned.

I get more snears and "look at that cute little bike, he's not a real motorcycle driver because he wears a helmet and safety gear" from the weekend Harley crowd than any other.

Good point, Glenn. Much of our "attitude" is due to their attitude. I got the sneers and jeers when I rode my old K75 across northern NH during Laconia Bike Week years ago because I was ATGATT and had a white full-face helmet on. And of course the standard position of many of them is, "You ain't sh*t if you ain't on a Harley."

I don't have anything against Harleys or the people who ride them, but if what I get from them are the usual sneers and jeers, well, maybe what they'll get from me is a lack of enthusiasm.

Harry

There are people who ride a particular brand and model of motorcycle because they truly enjoy the experience, and there are people who ride a particular brand and model of motorcycle who wish to project an image or fit in with a group.

I have no problem with the first group. Had a great 330 mile "just for fun" ride with a friend on a Harley. No loud pipes, fine handling skills, and similar inclanations to mine about speed and the places to stop for food and frequent water breaks in temps up to 97F. I wore serious gear, including a cut-off sweat shirt I soaked in a river for the hottest part of the ride. He rode with a half-helmet, t-shirt and jeans. Think I was more comfortable. His gear might reflect some lack of knowledge, but it certainly wasn't about "the look." Would definitely ride with him again.

The jerks on two wheels are certainly not limited to Harley riders. There are more than enough in the Honda and BMW camps, to mention two.

When you encounter contempt for your chosen ride, shrug it off. You are entitled to ride the bike YOU like, and they are entitled to ride the bike THEY like. Why argue about it. Unless you think you can beat the crap out of them. Not my area of expertice.

Motorcycle meets

Britt Motorsports is a Yamaha and Kawasaki dealer. They also produce custom bikes. They threw a party last week at a local restaurant and the assortment of bikes and people was encouraging. There were crotch rockets, choppers, full-dressers, scooters, young, old, black white, brown and red people.

We enjoyed ourselves.

Here is a link to the only ATGATT folks in attendance;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...72243732.81058.178972938854907&type=1&theater

Of course Barbie's helmet is a custom paint job.

I enjoy a wide variety of friends; the ones we rode with were all on Harleys. i think my reputation will survive; but will theirs?

Niche

Many H-D riders do not like CVO or the fact that H-D made a water cooled motorcycle. So yes they make fun of the machines, but they just accept it.
H-D like BMW is worried about the younger customers. You must bring the younger rider (new riders) into your dealership. Bringing new riders, and keeping your loyal customers is an issue.

As for H-D riders attitude, it not exclusive to them. I've been on rides where I was the only BMW and everything else is a V-twin. I even wear a Shark Evoline (white no less), but it was okay (84 R100RT), of course we made stops at Bars, and many drank coffee.

I almost never ride with BMW's. By the way in Michigan I saw my first helmetless rider on a K-LT, this week.

I think BMW and H-D have problems with prices: A Kawasaki, or Honda is so much cheaper, and also very reliable. So if you offer a much more expensive product, you need to find away to get new people in the store.

To tell you the truth, I do not like the plastic that covers most BMW's, you have to buy a dual sport just to see the engine.

Very nice to look at no doubt, beautifully crafted and pleasing in almost every angle.
But to me, the real pleasure in riding IS the riding. Not in showing off some blingy piece of ass jewelry.

To each their own - and more power to them! My buddy just showed up on his 34,000 dollar Custom Road Glide. He loves it. That's all that matters...

To each their own - and more power to them! My buddy just showed up on his 34,000 dollar Custom Road Glide. He loves it. That's all that matters...

As long as he is happy with the decision that really is all that matters.

$34K, wow. 1 road glide or damn near 2 R1200 GS?

Sure, if he loves his bike that is all that matters. It just seems more of the posers are doing 1,000 miles a year or less showing off their ass-jewelry more than actually really riding.

To each his own. I prefer someting I can really ride and enjoy.

Recently had a car driver ask me, "why a BMW over a Harley?"

I said, "It's quicker, faster, quieter, handles better, brakes better, carries more load, and I have 170,000 miles on it without ever opening the engine for repairs."

We each make our choices based on what we really want.

I said, "It's quicker, faster, quieter, handles better, brakes better, carries more load, and I have 170,000 miles on it without ever opening the engine for repairs."
/QUOTE]

oddly, my Ural is slower, noisier, has bazaar handling, marginal brakes, probably won't go 50,000 miles without some major repairs and only gets about 31mpg. But my K sits forlornly in the garage while I'm out having an absolute blast on the Ural. Go figure :D

/QUOTE]

oddly, my Ural is slower, noisier, has bazaar handling, marginal brakes, probably won't go 50,000 miles without some major repairs and only gets about 31mpg. But my K sits forlornly in the garage while I'm out having an absolute blast on the Ural. Go figure :D

LOL :thumb

/QUOTE]

I know I can't. The K is like a perpetual motion machine with a good, solid feel while my old R-80G/S feels downright delicate, almost fragile, in comparison. The G/S is ok for gentle, local off road exploring but when you have to be somewhere more than an hour away the K is the tool of choice. The G/S is just plain sloooow.

Back