• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dent in tank

Roxter Rider

While removing the tank on my 04 Rockster a neighbors cat got tangled in my feet which caused me to fall, which resulted in a dropped tank, which also resulted a drop kicked cat, don't worry the cat is fine but my tank isn't. Any ideas on how to get the dent out ? I am afraid I am looking at a new tank. The integrity is okay, it just looks bad.

Attachments

• 100_3672.JPG
    100_3672.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 297
That looks to be a fairly shallow dent. Perhaps one of those 4" suction cups with the handle on it (Harbor Freight Tools) might provide enough grab to pull the dent up.

That, or a really good body man, with a dolly on the end of a bent piece of tubing in through the filler hole, and a hammer, should be able to work that dent out, maybe without even repainting the top of the tank.

What kgadley01 said.
Couple of years ago I had a dent that looked worse on my car. Took it to the body shop and the guy told me he knew a good paintless dent repair guy... I probably didn't need his services (rare to be sent somewhere else so you can save some money...). The paintless dent repair guy drove to my house and did it in my driveway (like windshield repair). Made me sign a paper that there was no guarantee I wouldn't need paint since sometimes the paint chips when they pull the dent. I said ok. 50 minutes and $280 later the dent was completely gone and no paint needed. Body shop estimate was $1200, so $280 was great. I was happy and the body shop I used later for another job won me as a customer. Very honest guy!
If you can't find one under paintless dent repair, go talk to a body shop. They may direct you to one.
Good luck.

Thanks I'll locate one and give it a shot, the repair, not the cat. It's one of those cats that can't take a hint, there are smart cats and dumb ones, this is one of the dumb ones.

Thanks I'll locate one and give it a shot, the repair, not the cat. It's one of those cats that can't take a hint, there are smart cats and dumb ones, this is one of the dumb ones.

I have a not only smart, but conniving one.
He just looks at you and is apparently thinking, "Who, me?".

I watched how they do it on youtube. Heat gun and a can of compressed air...AMAZING and worth a try!

Do a search and go for it! Not sure about the gas though!

Back