• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seattle north mechanic

1100rt

New to the Northwest living north of seattle. Thinking of buying a 1979 R100RT. Does anyone up here have a good airhead mechanic they trust to both look at and possibly do any work needed on the bike. Could be as far north as Bellingham.
Thanks upfront for any info.

North west mechanic

Yes there are several. Mike Valentine comes to mind. He can work on my bike any time. He is in Seattle on Aurora Ave. North of the ship canal. There is another in Blaine, I don't know his work but I here he is a knowledgeable mechanic. There are others. Where are you? :drink

Nice Location

I used to frequent Lopez years ago. Known locally as Slowpez. Things happen on Island time -- and don't be in a hurry unless the ferry is due in. Nice thing about riding a bike across the ferry -- you don't have to wait in line. Back in the day we would put the car in line at night so we could get the red-eye in the am. That was in the late 70's and it was the first time I ever saw a BMW motorcycle He showed up at the ferry dock just at loading time, got on first and got off first.:wave I used to wait in line for endless hours in the car.:banghead You will like Mike he loves bikes.:thumb Welcome to the N.W. I recently moved to Mt.Vernon from Seattle so I don't know of any local mechanics in Skagit but I am sure there are some, there is a large vintage car and motorcycle crowd in the area and every now and then I spy an airhead riding around. Somebody on the forum here knows the shop in Bellingham. I do most of my own work so I don't know who to go to locally. I am going to Seattle today to pick up the heads for my '82 R100, but other than that, I am never too busy to lend a hand if you need any help. Where is the bike you are looking at?
Matt

...not trying to be a jerk, but Mike Valentine is actually known as Mic Vallantine:

http://vallantinemotorworks.com/

I don't know him personally but have dropped off a bike or two @ his shop. He is very fair (and knowledgeable of our airheads). I dropped off a G/S a few years ago w/ a weird clink in the swingarm when the suspension was compressed. I feared something expensive w/ swingarm bearings on up. Mic discovered the previous owner had the rear fender installed a little wonky, it rubbed on the swingarm on hard compression causing the "click". He re-installed the fender correctly and charged me a half-hour of his labor rate. Come on, just finding the problem was worth more than a half hour!

I hear Tommy Ryser (Foreign Auto Clinic) in Blaine is a good mechanic, but I have not used his services, personally.

Good luck, keep that airhead on the road, regardless!

Duu sometimes I can't spell whrite

I first met Mick about 20 years ago tearing up the Seattle Night scene on his Norton. A good guy who will treat you right, he is passionate about his work and motorcycles in general. He graduated BMW school top of his class and worked for the local dealer a number of years before going out on his own with Valentine Motor Works. He is located in the 3900 block of Aurora Ave, N. (Park around back}. I met Tommy once last year, he seems like a good guy. He runs a shop called Foreign Automotive on Peace Portal Drive in Blaine. (He also runs a M/C touring service.) I here positive things about a guy in Bellingham but I have yet to meet him or locate his shop. I have to go to Harbor freight in B-ham tomorrow perhaps I should visit him. But whenever I need something for my bike I can't do on my own, I go to Mick. Last year, he put new tires, wheel bearings and swing arm bearings on my bike as per request, then went ahead and adjusted my throttle cables and a carbs because he noticed they were wrong. N/C.:thumb

Last edited:
Mick sounds like a good person to try. Thanks for the feedback. Always hard to find a good mechanic in a new area.

Back