• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Paul B.

Best wishes to you Paul. Get well soon, you've always been a pleasurable camp member, looking forward to you next time I'm set up.

As 'Brother-Editors' of Touring Tips, here's a tip for you, Paul:

Get better and prepare to report back to duty as soon as able!

Good Luck! :thumb

The Heifermeister, Lynn, and I rode over to Saratoga Hospital to see Paul. He has double pneumonia and is being treated for it. He managed a pretty hearty Argggggh from an old Sea Dog, but he tired quickly. He was happy to see us. He did not have the pneumonia when admitted a couple weeks ago - this is something new. He is in good spirits and expressed appreciation to all who helped make the RA Rally happen. He will get out of the ICU when his oxygen intake is at the right level and they can take him completely off the machine. They have started the weaning process.

Do continue keeping him in mind.

Best,
Muriel

Muriel et Al

I spoke with his daughter this morning. Paul was temporarily off the ventilator but had to be put back on since his oxygen saturation wasn't high enough for him to breath on his own. This means that he couldn't breath for extended periods of time and without intervention he would become exhausted leading to respiratory arrest. Now, he is comfortable / sedated on the ventilator and is receiving IV antibiotics. His mind is clear, he remains oriented ( when not sedated ) and his heart is strong. He is also feeling the love of the BMW community.

During the RA rally he told me that he wasn't going to be camping with the Sherpa because he wasn't feeling well. Instead he decided to stay at the family lakeside cabin not far from the rally site. He was complaining of afebrile flu like symptoms and being very tired by days end. He contributed some of it due to the rally but knew there was something more to see his family MD about the following week. He had pneumonia, was treated, hospitalized and now is dealing with something new or unresolved with this admission. I just hope he didn't get nosocomial pneumonia from his first stay while his immune system was weak. There were blood cultures drawn, the culture studies to identify the germs and he is being managed appropriately so keep the positive and hope alive.

I hope to make a trip up to see him soon since its only a 4-5 hour ride to his home. Once I see him I will know the confidence of the situation and maybe I can get a look at the numbers and studies in this HIPAA reality.

The family thanks us for all our thoughts and prayers.

You can send an eCard if you wish to Paul Bachorz, his room is ICU.

All the best, and a big thank you for the Vermont Club. :thumb

I thought he looked pretty good on Friday of the RA in VT. He was walking the camping road and talking pictures of people along the way. He did seem a bit tired and guarded, but was mostly his usual optimistic self, still holding out a bit of hope for making the Salty Fog Rally in Nova Scotia. Damn, I hope he shakes this thing!

Muriel et Al

I spoke with his daughter this morning. Paul was temporarily off the ventilator but had to be put back on since his oxygen saturation wasn't high enough for him to breath on his own. This means that he couldn't breath for extended periods of time and without intervention he would become exhausted leading to respiratory arrest. Now, he is comfortable / sedated on the ventilator and is receiving IV antibiotics. His mind is clear, he remains oriented ( when not sedated ) and his heart is strong. He is also feeling the love of the BMW community.

During the RA rally he told me that he wasn't going to be camping with the Sherpa because he wasn't feeling well. Instead he decided to stay at the family lakeside cabin not far from the rally site. He was complaining of afebrile flu like symptoms and being very tired by days end. He contributed some of it due to the rally but knew there was something more to see his family MD about the following week. He had pneumonia, was treated, hospitalized and now is dealing with something new or unresolved with this admission. I just hope he didn't get nosocomial pneumonia from his first stay while his immune system was weak. There were blood cultures drawn, the culture studies to identify the germs and he is being managed appropriately so keep the positive and hope alive.

I hope to make a trip up to see him soon since its only a 4-5 hour ride to his home. Once I see him I will know the confidence of the situation and maybe I can get a look at the numbers and studies in this HIPAA reality.

The family thanks us for all our thoughts and prayers.

You can send an eCard if you wish to Paul Bachorz, his room is ICU.

All the best, and a big thank you for the Vermont Club. :thumb

Paul, get well soon, you are missed.

(Stat, thanks for the link.)

Most recent info from the vet BMW group:

Paul has been put on a ventilator due to breathing difficulties. He has also been sedated and "medically paralized" in order to assist with his recovery.

His daughter Pam is setting up an email list to keep all of Paul friends updated on his condition. If you want to be added to this list you need to email, Pam Bachorz at pbachorz@yahoo.com

8/27 Update

From Paul's daughter Pam:
Thank you to everyone for your continued outpouring of love and support for Dad,
as well as for all of us. He remains on a ventilator in the ICU and is still
medically paralyzed and sedated. Some results from his cultures came back today
and indicated gram-positive bacteria in his lungs. This means the doctors have
some more information about which medicines are likely to help him, and there
are more bags hanging on his IV hooks now! We are still waiting for results on
other cultures.

The hospital had hoped to put Dad on a rotating bed today but he is not stable
enough yet for the move. Hopefully soon.

Dad needed a transfusion today and as we watched the blood flow into him, we
were reminded of what a gift we can all give with blood donation. I know so many
people want to help him and don't know how; one thing you can do is to go give
blood. While of course it's not likely he will get your blood, another patient
equally in need--or even more so--will get it.

Another nice thing you can do is to send him an e-card. The hospital has a
special web site (http://www.saratogacare.org/index.cfm?contentID=273) that lets you type in a message to him. Printouts are delivered to his room and we read them to him. His outstanding nurse tells us that he may well be able to hear
what we are saying to him, so we like to think that he hears your well wishes
and feels stronger for it. And of course we will save them all for him to enjoy
when he wakes.

Thank you for your love, prayers, good vibes and healing light.

Paul, Judy, Pam and Patty

PS: You are welcome to repost this to any online forums Dad participates in,
such as the BMW MOA.

Another update - Paul needs more good vibes - lots of them!

Thank you for your love, concern and messages regarding Dad and his illness.

He remains sedated, medically paralyzed and on the ventilator. His doctor told
us today that he is critically ill and his system may not be able to support
many more of the occasional "events" that he has been experiencing. While they
are not giving up hope, the situation is increasingly, and quite, serious.
Father Kelly came today to give him the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick,
and we are trying to spend as much time as possible talking to him and just
supporting Mom.

The cultures I mentioned in yesterday's e-mail were from a single blood sample
and were attributed to site contamination, so they were not indicative. The
doctor tells us they still cannot identify any bacteria--or any other
cause--that have brought this about. They are not sure whether to call this
pneumonia/edema, anymore, or to attribute it to the mysterious ailment that
started at least a month ago.

Many, many thanks for the outpouring of e-cards today and last night. We read
each and every one of them to him and shared them with his (amazing) nurse too.
You can send e-cards from the Saratoga Hospital website:
http://www.saratogacare.org/index.cfm?contentID=273.

We also decorated Dad's walls with photographs today, both for him to enjoy upon
waking and for all of his visitors (and the ICU team) to be reminded of the
hearty and healthy man he has been up until now. If you have a special
photograph of Dad that you would like to send for his walls, please mail it to
the Saratoga Hospital, in his name.

If you would prefer not to receive updates via e-mail, please just drop me an
email at this address. I am also happy to add anyone to this list. You are
welcome to repost this to any online forums Dad participates in, such as the BMW
MOA, or to forward it to friends.

Thank you for your love, prayers, good vibes and healing light.

Muriel,

Kevin Greenwald forwarded this picture, taken at the Color In The Catskills last year.

1283042000.jpg

Paul on the left and Kevin on the right.

August 28th Update

Today was what one of Dad's nurses calls a "sideways day". He is still sedated,
medically paralyzed and on the ventilator--but his condition has not worsened.
The nurse told us that at this point in his treatment, a day without change can
be the best anyone can hope for.

They were able to move him to the rotating bed and he is tolerating that well.
The bed will allow for more effective treatment, and we are encouraged that the
move went smoothly.

Dad is now diagnosed as having ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome), which
is a sudden failure of the respiratory system for any number of reasons. We
still do not know how Dad got so sick, and we were told today that this is very
common--that in one nurse's 15 years of experience, he estimated that 40-50% of
the cases in the ICU never have an explanation for their root cause.

At this point the doctor says Dad may be on the ventilator for 3 weeks. He also
wanted us to understand that while he remains in very critical condition, his
case is NOT hopeless.

A friend of Dad's brought by a Navy flag to hang in his room today, which can
only bring good health and vibes to a sailor who likely is singing "Anchors
Away" somewhere in his deep sleep.

If you would prefer not to receive updates via e-mail, please just drop me an
email at this address. I am also happy to add anyone to this list. You are
welcome to repost this to any online forums Dad participates in, such as the BMW
MOA, or to forward it to friends.

As always, thank you for your love, prayers, good vibes and healing light.

Back