• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where can I hide my spare key? R1200RT

Spare Key

As GSJay says, the license plate is the KEY (pin intended) but I dont leave it to duct tape. I took my plastic key (R1200ST) and put it between the plate and the plastic plate holder. I run the little license plate bolt through the key and you absolutely can't see it. Those of us who are memory challenged understand that unless the key is on the bike, there is always a CHANCE of not having it there when you need it. On my old Triumph ST I did the mirror boot thing. I prefer the license plate idea.

On my wife's CS, I discovered the key while working on it... Someone zip tied it behind a panel that comes off.

What I do...

... is to keep the spare key in a seldom-used pocket of the jacket I wear.
Most jackets these days, it seems to me, have more pockets than anyone really needs.
So keeping it there insures that you will always have the spare key with you.
And if, by some fluke of a chance, a ne'er-do-well has the luck of finding the spare key on the bike, you've just given him the easiest way to steal it - and ride it away. And nobody, I mean NOBODY, else rides my bike!

Behind the license plate works for me, I even use it on my autos. Drill a hole large enough to fit a slotted screw for the plate so you can unscrew with a coin.

It is time to tell my favorite spare key story. We were at the Top O'Rockies rally in Paonia, Colorado. A friend from Wichita, Kansas received a telephone call advising that his sister had a medical emergency so he quickly packed up his camping gear and loaded his bike to rush home. And then he couldn't find the key to his K75. Dismay!. Knowing that there were a limited number of different keys for K75s, K100s and K1100s, of which there were many at the rally, we made an announcement over the rally site PA system. We asked anybody who had a spare key to their K bike to come so we could try it in our friend's bike. We found a match - key to bike - within the first half dozen attempts. He rode off to Wichita and mailed the borrowed key back after he got home. And he did find his key rolled up somewhere in his quickly packed camping gear.

Don't ask about the time Voni's key got lost in the peanut barrel in the liquor store at the Dinky Dozen rally. Just don't ask.

When we travel I have a spare key to her bike and she has a spare key to mine.

Life was so much simpler back in the /5 days. Same key, and even in event of no key there was always the appropriate golf tee.

Pop off a mirror, and zip-tie it to one of the fairing subframe tubes/brackets - out of sight, but easy to access.

That's where I use to keep my 07 spare key (+ some others like helmet lock etc)

I didn't use to carry a spare key until I locked my key in one of the paniers while on the Cabot Trail in NS. (You need a special talent to do this. :banghead )

I was able to retrieve it by removing the bottom hinges of the panier.

Since I always carry one now I will never need it. :thumb

I've always had a spare key "somewhere" on the bike, but to summarize this thread .....
-- carry a spare key in your jacket (this is great advice. use the money spent on selling all your other jackets to buy gas and go places)
-- carry a spare key in your wallet (this only works if you only have one bike, otherwise the wallet turns into a purse. Oh yeah, and have a metal key made. Those plastic ones will break over time in a wallet.
-- only camp in crowds and ask if anyone has a spare key. (got this idea from Paul. Great story, btw!)

Just trying to inject some humor. Carrying a spare is a good idea. While I like the mirror idea I think I'd go with some fairing panel that can be easily removed (oops. don't think BMW makes those any more). Cheap zip ties can get brittle with heat over time so keep that in mind if a zip failure would result in a lost key. (They do sell really good zip ties. It's the cheap ones that deteriorate quicker. I use two zip ties through the key eye so I can sleep easier.)

p.s. Replacing the switch on a certain 2002 BMW (model to remain secret) I realized that ANYONE could just unplug it, remove one small set screw, and turn the switch with anything, screwdriver, knife, piece of tree limb. It would be stupid easy to steal a bike with this type of switch and yet I continued to carry a spare.

I've always had a spare key "somewhere" on the bike, but to summarize this thread .....
-- carry a spare key in your jacket (this is great advice. use the money spent on selling all your other jackets to buy gas and go places)
-- carry a spare key in your wallet (this only works if you only have one bike, otherwise the wallet turns into a purse. Oh yeah, and have a metal key made. Those plastic ones will break over time in a wallet.
-- only camp in crowds and ask if anyone has a spare key. (got this idea from Paul. Great story, btw!)

Just trying to inject some humor. Carrying a spare is a good idea. While I like the mirror idea I think I'd go with some fairing panel that can be easily removed (oops. don't think BMW makes those any more). Cheap zip ties can get brittle with heat over time so keep that in mind if a zip failure would result in a lost key. (They do sell really good zip ties. It's the cheap ones that deteriorate quicker. I use two zip ties through the key eye so I can sleep easier.)

p.s. Replacing the switch on a certain 2002 BMW (model to remain secret) I realized that ANYONE could just unplug it, remove one small set screw, and turn the switch with anything, screwdriver, knife, piece of tree limb. It would be stupid easy to steal a bike with this type of switch and yet I continued to carry a spare.

Hardly a secret. Lock the steering.

I added an imobilizer to my GS1150

I have one of these Keyhiders behind a panel on all of my bikes. Make sure you get the Extra Large or a late model BMW key won't fit into the pouch because it is to thick at the top.

91P5aH77XHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have never had the Velcro fail, never lost a key, never have had anyone find the key where it was hidden.

It is time to tell my favorite spare key story. We were at the Top O'Rockies rally in Paonia, Colorado.

Don't ask about the time Voni's key got lost in the peanut barrel in the liquor store at the Dinky Dozen rally. Just don't ask.

When we travel I have a spare key to her bike and she has a spare key to mine.

Then the time at Sipapu when I misplaced mine... usually NOT me, but I’ll be nice... walked grounds several times and Paul walked up to my GS and picked keys out of footpeg grate...we now have spares on all bikes in accessible spots and double checked before trips to refresh where.

On my R1250RT I keep it in a magnet case under the front fairing.

The newer design is formed like a "shelf" under the front fairing where you can put the box and is easily accessible.

(There is a small metal plate that you can stick on the plastic included in the kit.)

BTW locking my key in the side case shouldn't an issue anymore with keyless and central locking. :thumb

Attachments

• Magnet key case.jpg
    Magnet key case.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 97
Seems like a good idea unless your bikes are like mine which have an issue with unlocking. :banghead

We accidentally locked the forks on Voni's R1100RS once, in a campground, in Montana. Since I really wanted to avoid the 400 mile tow to a dealer we screwed with the key for a bit over an hour to get it to unlock. I hope - never again.

Back