• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gloves for cold weather riding

heejrbmw

I want to ride a bit longer than the season permits for many folks in my area. Morning temps are typically in the 20s to 30s and highs in the 30s to 50s from mid-November to March. Not that atypical for many regions of the country.

My problem is that my hands get much too cold. I do not have heated grips, and do not particularly want to go there.

I have some good winter riding gloves that someone gave me - almost new - because the giver hated the gloves. I too dislike them. They are so thick that my hands cramp trying to grip the throttle.

Anyone have any advice on gloves that are particularly warm without a lot of bulk?

I'm thinking I'll have to buy heated gloves, but don't know anything about them. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
I do have heated grips, but I think these gloves would work for you...

I am very happy with my BMW Pro Winter gloves.

I also use Seirus Hyperlite All-Weather Gloves as liners. These are also great to keep on while getting gas or just walking around. They fit easily in my jacket pocket and are there when I need them.

I also carry a pair of Gerbing’s G3 Heated Gloves, but I only use them when it really gets cold.

Last edited:
I have been wearing Lee Parks leather gloves for several years -- they're great except when they're wet. For colder (Texas) weather, I wear glove liners with the Lee Park's gloves -- they are surprisingly warm and extend their usefulness. I've found liners for anywhere from $10 to $15. The thinner silk-like liners work best for me -- good warmth and good dexterity. I've ridden with the glove liners with temps in the 40s up in the Smoky Mountains with good results -- colder than that, I couldn't say.

When the temps dip under 30 I actually use my bicycling gloves. I also use them for skiing. They are a lobster claw style that is extremly warm and allows better dexterity than any other glove I have tried.
The brand is pearl Izumi and they can be found online at Performancebike.com. Price is right when compared to motorcycle only gloves.

Sorry about the web site. For info you have to go to Pearlizumi.com directly

Last edited:
I'm with TallPaul on the BMW winter gloves. Easily good down to the 30's, especially if you have grip guards or some other windbreak. More insulation on the outside of the glove, less on the palm so that heated grips are more effective.

Winter Gloves

I ride all year here in MA. Snow is the only thing that stops me. I just picked up a pair of Gebrings G3s. I can honestly say that I have no idea why I waited so long. They make riding in the cold almost pleasurable. My hands were always the first to suffer and these really, REALLY help. I tried many non-heated gloves but none really worked. Never tried hippo hands though.

Pros:
the heat - obviously :D
Extremely well made
They are warm even when not plugged in

Cons:
I find the harness and controller to be a bit cumbersome. I am working on a better way to set up the system so it is more permanent
Pricey but not too bad
A bit bulky for gloves but again, not too bad

S

My problem is that my hands get much too cold. I do not have heated grips, and do not particularly want to go there.

Thanks,
Ed

The pro winter BMW gloves are very good. And are awesome when also combined with heated grips.

If your serious about wanting to keep your hands warm then you only have two choices. Heated grips with good winter gloves, or heated gloves. I have both. I find heated gloves to be annoying to use for short trips. Hooking up the wires and adjusting them so they are comfortable is just to much wasted time for daily commuting. I find it much simpler to use the BMW winter gloves with the heated grips. If I am going for a ride lasting over an hour in 20-30 degree weather then I will use the heated gloves with the heated grips. The heated gloves don't have heat on the palm of the hand so without also using the heated grips my palms would get cold from hanging onto the cold grips.

If you ever do decide to go the heated grip route I doubt if you would ever be willing to go without them on future bikes

I just bought gloves from my local Harley dealer, new "cold weather 2-in-1 full finger gloves" . They have kept my hands worm in mid the mid 30's.

Throw an outlet on your bike and get some heated gloves. That will end your problems regarding cold hands. I just bought a pair made by Venture. They are microwire style. I;m told, but do not know this first hand, that they have had microwire for several years, and Gerbling is really just playing catchup. All I know is they are fantastic, heating up in about ten seconds. I'm sure Gerbling as well as some other brands are good too. You won't believe how nice heated gloves are.

Bar grip coverage helps a ton by breaking down on wind hitting your hands. Don't get me wrong, yer hands will still get cold but not as much if you have a direct wind current blasting yer hands.

If you plan on winter riding, get a pair of electric gloves.

I have lines connected to the battery where I plug the gloves thermostat which mounts to the windshield with a tab of velcro. If not using, unplug thermostat and toss it in the bags and takes up little room.

No more warming the gloves on the exhaust every 20 miles.

I just bought some TourMaster Mid Weight leather gloves at the local Honda dealer. So far they seem to be a good balance of protection and low bulk. $40 bucks is a nice price too.

Cold Weather Riding Gloves

Thanks for all the replys with good information. I'm trying to make a decision and like all the positive responses regarding the Gerbing G3s.

Anyone had an opportunity to compare the older style G3s to the newer microwire G3s? I'm curious as to whether the newer are enough better to justify a lot more on the cost. There are some deals on the older styles right now!

Thanks again!

Ed

I have the older style Gerbings and like them a lot. On my Guzzi, I attached the connector to the battery. Now with my RT, I put an adapter plug on the wire so I just plug them in to the jack in the fairing. The only problem is figuring out what to do with the wires which are longer than they need to be. That's a small problem compared to ice cold hands.

To be honest, I rarely use them now since I have heated grips, but I still would want them on a longer trip in really cold weather. The grips don't keep my hands nearly as warm as the Gerbings, but they do take the edge off the cold and are fine for my commute.

I have a pair of pre-microwire Gerbing G3's. I got them 40% off. Before buying these I asked around about what advantage the microwire has over the old technology. What I found was that Gerbing claims the microwire heats up to full temp in 8 seconds, and that is 10 times faster than the pre-microwire. That means the pre-microwire would take 80 seconds to get up to full temperature. I decided that less than a minute and a half was not a problem for me. I can tell you after using my pre-microwire G3's that I can feel heat in them within about 10 seconds. It may be 80 seconds before they get up to full temp, but you start feeling them heat up very quickly. The other advantage Gerbing talks about is that the microwire is so thin you can't feel it. I have the pre-microwire jacket liner as well, and I can tell you that I can't even find the wire in the gloves when I look for it, so I don't consider that an issue. I can feel the wire with my fingers in the jacket liner when I look for it, but when I am wearing the jacket liner, I do not feel the wire at all.

I did have a pair of pre-microwire pants liners and had to send them back and special order a microwire pair because the fit was too tight in the legs and they did not have the size I need in pre-microwire. I can tell you that I _could_ feel the wire in the pants liner on top of my thighs. So, it may be just as well that I had to order the microwire for the pants liner.

If you can get a good discount on pre-microwire G3's or jacket liner, I would recommend them. As far as I know, all the Gerbing gear has the same power consumption before and after microwire, so that is not a factor.

Another comment on the G3's, they are thick leather and some have complained that they do not give you a good grip on the throttle. I have a crampbuster on my bike and don't notice that as a problem at all, since the crampbuster eliminates the need to squeeze the throttle.

Back