• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ark barn rat

M

Marine

i am a new member to bmwmoa and looking forward to meeting other beemer riders also i am in the process of rebuilding the firs bmw that i have ever owned so i will be asking for a lotttt of help from everyone. the bike is a 1977 r/75/7 so if anyone is familiar with this model please clue me in on its good points and its short comings.the bike has been stored in ashed for about 15 years so i am expecting to replace a lot of parts etc.please reply with suggestions,tips,advice, anything at all that is on your mind.thanks

Marine,

I'm gonna move this over to Airheads - since that's the bike you have, and there are a bunch of real enthusiasts in that forum who I'm sure will help you out.

Hang on - the move is usually smooth but 'ya never know..

Whoooooooosssssshhhhhhhhhh...

i hope you have a pile of cash.

please tell us where you're from.
there is usually someone within a reasonable distance who can drop in and give you a few pointers and suggestions.
between MOA and ABC (airhead beemers club), guarantee someone can be a big help and a new friend.

-dan

The R 75/7 was a short-lived model before they transitioned to an R80/7, and this makes it somewhat more "collectible". It is also purported to have a few extra HP and a bit more torque than the 80/7.
I would say that this is a model that is worth some effort to restore/rejuvenate if you can swing it, financially.

Good luck!

+1

i hope you have a pile of cash.

please tell us where you're from.
there is usually someone within a reasonable distance who can drop in and give you a few pointers and suggestions.
between MOA and ABC (airhead beemers club), guarantee someone can be a big help and a new friend.

-dan

There's quite a network of remarkably helpful airhead people out there, and several good sources of new and used parts. But just for starters, anything rubber is dried out. You're gonna hafta rebuild the carbs. There's rubber o-rings and the diaphragm. Anything greased will likely be frozen. The grease turns to glue. Like steering head bearings, wheel bearings. tho they may be cleanable. Check final drive splines and clutch out-put splines. those little-bitty springs on the spinning weights of the ignition sensor. good luck and post lots of pix

Last edited:
Ar Barn Rat Pics

Here Are Some Pics Of The R75/7 That I Dug Out Of The Shed.if You Will Notice On The Right Side Of The Bike The Mice Have Built A Very Swanky 4 Story Condo.

Attachments

• IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 727
Ar Barn Rat Pics

Nother Pic Of Raratouillie 4 Story Condo

Attachments

• IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 724
Sweet! I love it. I LOVE it. :laugh

Go check out the before pics on my R90/6 thread.

Go ahead and take the heads off and have a look.. proceed from there.

About Myself

I Am A Christian,and Have Been Most Of My Life.if U R Not We Still Will Get Along Just Fine Because Everyone Is Entitled To Their Own Belief In My Opinion.i Live In Van Buren, Ar About 5 Miles From The Ok Border And 1/2 Mi South Of I40. Best Place In The Us To Live. I Am 67 Years Old And Am Married. I Have 5 Children,11 Grandchildren,and 1 Great Granddaughter.very Proud Of My Family, 1 Serving In The Us Navy And All Others Holding Down Paying Jobs, For The Time Being. I Am Semi Retired As A Truck Driver, And Have Been To All Lower 48 States, Several Canidian Provinces, And Folks We Have A Beautiful Country,a Country To Be Very Proud Of. Time To Start Talking About The R75/7,it Has Been In My Family Since Around 1988. My Brother,who By The Way Is Member #6991,bought The Bike While Living In Frederick,md. His Son Rode The Bike To Daytona Beach And Around In Va And Md Area For A Couple Of Years Then Parked It For 4 Wheel Transportation. When They Moved Back To Ok They Rode The Bike Down There And Made A Couple Of Short Trips On It And Then The Boy Moved Out Of State And Left The Bike Behind. Eventually My Brother Pushed It Into The Shed U C In The Pics. I Have More Pics And Will Be Sending Them Soon And Will Keep Updating The Progress On Restoring, Thanks For Ur Concern And All Of Ur Replies. Marine.

Ur Restored R90/6

Sweet! I love it. I LOVE it. :laugh

Go check out the before pics on my R90/6 thread.

Go ahead and take the heads off and have a look.. proceed from there.

SEEING UR PICS AND REPORTS INSPIRED ME TO TRY IT MYSELF I AM REALLY IMPRESSED WITH WHAT U DID TO THAT BIKE EXCELLENT JOB MARINE

Wow... That bikes pretty rough!

OTOH, a projects a project and that one will keep you busy for a couple of months and very likely empty your wallet. I'll be out here checking out your problems and progress, while throwing in a little advice if you need some.

I recently completed a 1976 R-90 build that took me from a worn out bike to a real looker, so theres some inspiration for ya down there somewhere.

Just remember to take things one step at a time and order your parts in advance.

Click for Inspiration:

76 r/90

Wow... That bikes pretty rough!

OTOH, a projects a project and that one will keep you busy for a couple of months and very likely empty your wallet. I'll be out here checking out your problems and progress, while throwing in a little advice if you need some.

I recently completed a 1976 R-90 build that took me from a worn out bike to a real looker, so theres some inspiration for ya down there somewhere.

Just remember to take things one step at a time and order your parts in advance.

Click for Inspiration:

beautiful bike ideal for that part of the country to ride around on hope mine just looks half that good when finished. thanks for the encouragement.

update on r75/7 restore

the good news the motor still turns with allen wrench in alt nut after 20 years of not doing anything but housing a condiminuim of mice. Both tires were flat of course but aired them up and they are still inflated.looks like all rubber will need to be replaced,and some wiring where the mice ate the insulation. Drained the oil,got a full 2 quarts, and no metal of any kind in oil pan. BTW if there is any co out there that has lower prices on parts please let me know. this is what the "country gentleman" looked like prior to bath, naked and all.

Attachments

• pics of bmw 038.jpg
    pics of bmw 038.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
more 77/7 pics

rt airhead after some cleaning with brush just before bath. this was the 2nd floor of the mouse condo.

Attachments

• pics of bmw 010.jpg
    pics of bmw 010.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 316
this is master cylinder looks i will be needing another one not with not quite so much age showing

Attachments

• pics of bmw 021.jpg
    pics of bmw 021.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
this is of course the air intake cover it was one of the main dining areas in the mouse condo

Attachments

• pics of bmw 044.jpg
    pics of bmw 044.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
mouse dessert maybe?

Attachments

• pics of bmw 090 .jpg
    pics of bmw 090 .jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 310
Back