• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My 1974 R90/6 never-ending project, with plenty of pics.

1 week and 3 finals away, and I'll be working on it full time!

I ordered a caliper rebuild kit, master cylinder rebuild kit, fork seals, fork gaiters, bulbs, turn signal wiring harness, etc etc. That package should be waiting for me then. (But, man! BMW wants $86 for a stinkin' headlight wiring harness?!)

Also, my friend wanted to get better at working on things, so I showed her how to rebuild my R90 carbs. :thumb She's got a sweet Chevelle, (and an immaculate Suzuki GS750 that I take care of for her). I might need a new needle, but otherwise, they're ready to go. Even before I rebuilt them, I ran them on my R75 for a couple hundred miles without incident.

I'm going to pick up some steering head bearings, too. Mine are notched. I've never dug that far into the front of a beemer before , so I'm sure I'll be posting a ton of questions and pictures of that can of worms.

I. Can't. Wait.

regarding picture number 4 in the original post:

how does one ride a bike in colorado without traveling through any of the states adjacent to it?

Haha. You can see where the little red dots fell off the other states.

I sold that fairing to some bozo in California (it cost $200 just to ship it, when I said "no shipping" but he begged). When I took it off the bike and cleaning it up for the sale, that little "STATES I HAVE BEEN" plaque came off. Turns out, it was hiding a crack. :hungover

I still have the plaque. I might clean it up and attach it somewhere discreet, so the bike remembers where it's been.

inside the oilpan.:thumb

btw, that faring rocks, in the same way kc and the sunshine band rocks.

I re-read my post, and I thought I wrote "I still have the plague." Haha.

Yeah, I traded that fairing with the guy for a bunch of parts and come cash. I then sold all his parts I couldn't use (most were for a /7), and kept the cash, and I made like $500!!! :thumb

Keep this thread going

I re-assembled m'74 R0/6 last year, almost the best thing I have ever done. Even better, I got to share the re-build with a good friend.
Enjoy the journey, it's where all the fun is anyways.

Yeah, I traded that fairing with the guy for a bunch of parts and come cash. I then sold all his parts I couldn't use (most were for a /7), and kept the cash, and I made like $500!!! :thumb

That's the way to do it!
All of my various projects with bikes, cars, around the house, etc. have been at least partly supported by bartering, swapping, junkyard scrounging, and wheeling & dealing. Even while stationed overseas. It not only may save you some $, but it makes things interesting, and sometimes it's what saves a project from failure.
Sometimes somebody you meet along the way may either help you find what you need now, or remember you when it turns up later. It's also a way to learn who to go to for services or knowledge.
Keep it up, threads like this one and the Lonelobo's are way more interesting than how to splurge on Garmin Zumos and PIAA lights.

Keep it up, threads like this one and the Lonelobo's are way more interesting than how to splurge on Garmin Zumos and PIAA lights.

Thanks!

I would like an update on Renegade.. :ear

I'm actually surprised there aren't more threads on here like this. I've even thought about suggesting to someone that the ON should have a page or two dedicated to members projects. Like a "Readers Rides" section that a lot of other car/truck/motorcycle magazines have. I'll even volunteer to be the editor for that section!

2 finals on Monday, and 1 on Thursday, and I'll be on my way to working on it and taking plenty more pics. :D

Thanks!

I would like an update on Renegade.. :ear

I'm actually surprised there aren't more threads on here like this. I've even thought about suggesting to someone that the ON should have a page or two dedicated to members projects. Like a "Readers Rides" section that a lot of other car/truck/motorcycle magazines have. I'll even volunteer to be the editor for that section!

2 finals on Monday, and 1 on Thursday, and I'll be on my way to working on it and taking plenty more pics. :D

I always enjoy these threads. I think the electronic media is better than print for these projects because you can interact throughout the process and ask questions. I'm looking forward to your updates and pictures.

and 1 on Thursday, and I'll be on my way to working on it and taking plenty more pics. :D

Final done. Semester over. Hopefully I passed.

Transmission picked up. It cost a little more than the $600 estimate, because the output shaft was completely buggered up. But, I AM SO EXCITED.

Note to self: Fill with oil before I ride.

20081218002.jpg

It's my grandmas 80th birthday today, so after dinner, I'm heading out to the shop and PUTTING IT ALL BACK TOGETHER. Man, that feels good to type.

I picked up the steering bearings, too. $40 for aftermarket ones, which are supposedly better than the stock BMW ones. Works for me!

:drink

Now that's a purdy sight to behold. Looks as clean as your heads.

Subliminal message:
Fill with oil before use.
Fill with oil before use.
Fill with oil before use

There's nothing like a good project to give you something to do during wintertime.

:thumb

I did some urban exploration during the daylight. The weather was crappy, and when it got dark, I was on my way.

20081218006.jpg

My package from MAXBMW didn't contain everything I've ordered.. but I trudged on! It had enough. My goal last night was to get it to fire/run. A lot of it is still dirty on the outside, and maybe a little rusty, but mechanically, the bike is sound.

Here it sat, eagerly awaiting re-assembly:

20081218007.jpg

Slapped the transmission in:

20081218012.jpg

When my heads were re-done, the guy at the shop gave me a "trash" exhaust header. It has a small hole in the crossover, but it's ok for now, so I put it on.

20081218016.jpg

Rebuilt carbs on:

20081218017.jpg

Putting it more-together:

20081218019.jpg

I put the mufflers on. Tightened up this-and-that. Made another list of parts I need.

I went to adjust the valves, and CRAP. One of the valve adjust nuts was cross-threaded on one of the bolts. Also, somehow I've lost a different nut for the other side. Well it was 11:30, and I wasn't going to come up with a solution that night.

I was messing around with the transmission when I was hooking up the clutch lever. Man, it was tough. I was stumped. Did I not line everything up inside properly? Why's it so hard to press the shaft in the back of the transmission? So, I hooked the clutch cable up, and messed around at the lever, and shazam! it feels normal. Awesome.

It was about 12:30am at this point. The drivetrain (is it called that on a motorcycle?) was all back together. So, I went to rebuild the master cylinder. I go to spray it with some WD40, and crap. I'm all out. So, I just put it in the parts cleaner to soak. I "assembled" the new piston/rubber rings/etc so it'd be ready once I could clean up the master cylinder itself.

I then slapped in a battery and hooked up the light plate of the instrument cluster to check which bulbs were good/bad. (I had previously stolen a couple for my R75 so it could pass inspection.) The starter button turned the engine over, quickly. The rear turn signals lit up. Both brake lever activated the light. The horn didn't work. I think that has something to do with the long-gone fairing; which also means that the front turn signals and headlight are in a box, waiting for me to sort out the wiring in the headlight.. Let me tell you, it's freaking scary, too.

For my own sense of accomplishment, I slapped the tank and seat on. Hey, it looks like a motorcycle now!

20081218024.jpg

When I was getting the tank out of my storage area, I scratched it. Argh!

20081218023.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Did you see the article in Airmail about using the vacuum cleaner tube for crossover tube? Looks like a good, low cost solution. If you need additional info, let me know and I will get it for you.

So, yesterday, after another round of successful urban exploration, I had my brother drive me to the local airhead shop so I could pick up some of those valve adjust screws. And get free food.

Tonight, after a sun-up to sun-down day of exploration (sorry I'm addicted), I got to my shop and installed everything properly, oiled everything up, rotated the rear wheel to get everything lubed inside, and hit the starter button. It was rolling over, but had absolutely no spark.

So, I replaced the points. Now, I've got some nice fat spark out of the right side, but none on the left.

I'm freaking tired, so I'll tackle it tomorrow.

Well, now I know it should run on at least 1 cylinder!

wheels on your bike

BTW, your bike has a nice pair of aftermarket Lester Wheels. Some hate them, others like 'em. Keep us posted on the spark.

BTW, your bike has a nice pair of aftermarket Lester Wheels. Some hate them, others like 'em. Keep us posted on the spark.

Yep. Once I get this thing sparking on both cylinders, and riding good, I'll see if I even form an opinion on them. Some people say you can feel the difference between the Lesters and spokes.. and I've put 20k on my spoked R75.

I'll get back to the spark today.

Back