• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heated gloves and wires

J

Jfixit

I am going to use Gerbing's heated gloves on an 03 RT. Does anyone have a suggestion on running the wires from the accessory plug to the gloves in an easy to use manner? The gloves will be the only thing plugged in so I have to deal with the wires. Thanks for your input.

This is not the most elegant solution, but it works for me. I pulled an old nylon windbreaker jacket out of the closet - everyone has one of those, don't they? Then I ran the wires up the inside of the windbreaker, from the left waist up the left armpit, then one wire down the sleeve and the other across the back and down the other sleeve. I used duct tape to hold the wires in place while I tested it out. My thinking was that if it worked I't sew some fabric over the wires to replace the tape. It worked just fine and I never got around to the fabric part. The jacket is just another layer and if it is cold enough to need electric gloves, another layer can't be a bad thing.

John

Thanks John,
That is pretty much the only thing I could come up with also with the exception of a sweatshirt instead of a windbreaker. The duct tape is a good idea I hadn't thought of.

Y-Harness

I pretty much did the same thing without attaching it to a jacket. I tied the two wires together at several points to make it look like a Y. I put it behind my back and grabbed a glove connector in each hand and then put on my sweatshirt. The cable now ran down each arm and the main part of it ran down the middle of my back along my spine. Instead of plugging into the aux power port, I bought the variable heat control from Gerbing and have it mounted on my cross bar. It allows me to crank the heat down and not melt my hands when I don't need it full on.

Oh come on, if you really are from North Pole, Alaska you are never able to turn the heat down. Actually I started sewing the wires into a sweater last night and am pretty happy with the results so far. I did have to start over once because I forgot that when I turn the sweater back right side out the cord would move to the other side of my body.

Back