• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Corbin passenger backrest comments?

KCinSB

My '93 K1100Rs came to me with a Corbin seat, which makes it possible to flat foot my 30 in inseam legs. ;) l've been trying to come up with some kind of passenger back rest, and finally I noticed that the seat bottom has mounting pads that look like they are for that purpose :banghead . I have emailed Corbin today to see if they still have the parts for the older seats. The question is this: Can anyone tell me if that backrest works for them?:nod I'm interested in any comments, KC

You could post a picture, I suppose, if that might help us help you, but have you checked that the Corbin labels aren't covering backrest mounting holes? They're usually velcroed and peel up to reveal the slots, one for the rider and one for the passenger. One backrest can be bought and then moved from front to back in a snap. They are adjustable, too.

AHah! That's good news! Yes, I found the Velcroed Corbin logo at the rear of the Pax sear area. Now I'm just waiting for Corbin to reply to my inquiry on if parts are still available. KC

Fitting the backrest

My Corbin backrest did not fit as delivered. A plastic foam or stiffener partially blocked the hole into which the backrest post fits. This was resolved with a file and some elbow grease.

I just replaced my Corbin Dual Tour with a Dual Canyon (needed a lower seat).
I eBayed the Dual Tour but retained the backrest, and Corbin recovered the backrest to match the new seat, which they made with the bracket, so yeah they do have the bracket for the backrests. I would wonder, is the installation of the backrest bracket a job you'd want to try yourself?
Gilly

PS Wife is fine with the backrest, but she is only an occasional rider and just wants to feel more secure than having nothing behind her.

Gilly, At least on this seat, there are 4 threaded studs in a rectangular pattern that appear to be for the bracket mounting. It would be simple to mount and tighten 4 nuts,...... I think...:doh KC

Unless this seat is WAY different than the 2 Corbins I've had, that bracket goes "inside" the seat, not external. At any rate I'm sure they have the brackets as they just built me up a seat with one. The backrest will probably be a bit pricey, couple hundred maybe. (assuming you want the REAR backrest, there are also provisions on the newer seats for a driver backrest as well, those I've never really looked in to.)

Gilly

Sorry dude I have to eat my words. On my first Corbin seat, the bracket was internal to the seat. On the one I have now, you are correct sir, the bracket is external (bolts to the outside of the pan). Sorry.
You should look to see if the pan has a hole where the backrest tube (a square bar) will go through. Then you are just faced with the cover itself. On a normal seat set up for a backrest there is a Corbin Velcro patch that will cover the hole, for when the rest is off. Of course you can modify the cover yourself with an Exacto knife and a trip to the hardware store too. And I know Corbin will sell the backrest too, you need to contact them on the price though. This is the style I have, which my wife likes:
http://www.corbin.com/bmw/8696canyon.shtml
Or else I think any of the newer backrests will work too.
If you have a problem buying the bracket only, my brother can probably make one for you pretty easily.
Gilly

Back