• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice on custom saddle for my R1150RT

tangoalpha

Hi Guys.

I've been researching custom seat options for my bike and would like to get your opinion.

First, I'm 5'6 with 30" inseam. On my bike, '02 R1150RT with my factory seat in the lowest setting, I cannot get both feet firmly planted on the ground. With both feet touching ground, my heels are somewhat off off the pavement and that's while wearing boots with a heel. It's something I've dealt with my entire riding life and I've grown accustomed to. I usually just one leg it and lean the bike slightly and that gives me sure footing with one leg firmly planted. What can I say? Being short legged sucks! Be that as it may, it really hasn't given me any serious difficulty and I've never dropped the bike as a result, but it does at times make it somewhat challenging trying to push the bike backwards in to a parking stall or dealing with uneven pavement.

The other reason I'm considering a custom saddle is because I find the factory saddle to be a real pain in the butt. Literally! So I figured go with a custom saddle to address both issues. I've narrowed my choices down to Sargent and Corbin. I've had Corbin saddles on previous bikes before so I know that they're well made and they offer a low seat option as does Sargent. According to the Sargent website, their World Seat (low seat) is ideally suited to riders with 29" or less inseam. While I stand at 30", I must admit I rather like having the an extra inch to spare. Then again, Corbin doesn't offer those specs on their website, so theirs may be the same, but I can't be sure. I'd like to get your advice on which if these two saddles you'd recommend. I'm also contemplating adding the heated seat option, but I'm concerned about drawing too many amps. As it is, my bike uses, PIAA accessory lights and I have an Orange Technoligies TPMS installed as well. Per the Sargent website, their 12v wired heat controller and heating pad draws 1.5 amps. Not sure of that's in the high or ow setting, but it seems somewhat low to me to be the high setting.

What are your thoughts?

Rich's Custom Seats, Seattle (actually just outside Seattle). Excellent workmanship. Coddled my ass for 4,200 no-pain kilometers over 5 days.

Just send him your seat and a side view picture of you sitting on your bike as it is right now. Tell him what you want. He'll build it any way you want (high, low) and stand behind his work. Good turnaround time, too. Not cheap but competitive.

Rich's Custom Seats, Seattle (actually just outside Seattle). Excellent workmanship. Coddled my ass for 4,200 no-pain kilometers over 5 days.

Just send him your seat and a side view picture of you sitting on your bike as it is right now. Tell him what you want. He'll build it any way you want (high, low) and stand behind his work. Good turnaround time, too. Not cheap but competitive.

+1 on Stitch Rich. He did an amazing job on my airhead saddle.

I know Corbin doesn't do custom, and unless they recently changed, neither does Sargent. Correct me if my info on that is dated.

That said, any off the shelf saddle will feel great...if your butt matches the butt they used as a model. If you are looking for certain comfort, custom (made for your specific buns) is the way to go. Russell Day Long is the gold standard, but their interpretation of "low" is an inch higher than OEM. I use a Rocky Mayer. Others swear by Rich's or smaller startups. I personally feel you can't go wrong on any saddle made specifically for you.

Pete

Ill check out that option. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about Bill Mayer Saddles in Ventura, you could do ride in.

I hadn’t heard of Bill Mayer Saddles before, but a ride in option would be preferable. On the plus side I could squeeze a ride in to Santa Barbara and go enjoy fish n chips at the end of the pier.

Russell also does a Sport version for the vertically challenged riders like myself. This seat does not raise the rider over the stock height like the Day Long version does. I had one done last year, price was less than either Corbin or Sargent. I have been happy with the seat, I may have to have an adjustment done, you get 2 for free.
When I contacted Sargent about lower seat versions for my RS, they indicated that wasn't an option, can't say if Russell will offer lowing as an option. I did the lower Wilber shock route to accomplish that requirement.

I hadn’t heard of Bill Mayer Saddles before, but a ride in option would be preferable. On the plus side I could squeeze a ride in to Santa Barbara and go enjoy fish n chips at the end of the pier.

Bill Mayer, Senior, invented and patented the Day Long Saddle with the transverse metal spring to support the "wings" of the seat. He eventually sold the patent and business to Russell. He did go back into the seat business using multiple foam densities to provide proper support.

After Bill senior died two sons, Bill Junior (Rocky) and Rick both were making seats. Rocky took over Bill Mayer Saddles and Rick ran a second company. Rick is now, as far as I know, not making seats any more. Bill Mayer Saddles continues to make fine seats.

Sargeant Seat

I bought the world seat for my 03 RT and rode from Portland to Yosemite to Reno and back in one long weekend with zero complaints. I do not have the inseam problems so it is the standard version with no heat of course. I had Rich's Seats do my 07 GT which had a hideous seat. It was nice and comfy, plain black leather and reused my seat heat but it was also $800. Also the leather sucks up the rain where I live.

I sold my 03 RT but still have the Sargeant for it if you are interested. Still looks new. PM me.

I'm not sure where exactly you live however I get the feeling its north of San Francisco. Anyway, there's a guy in Santa Rosa who did a good job modifying my buddy's R1100S seat a couple of years ago. If you want I can dig up the name.

I'm not sure where exactly you live however I get the feeling its north of San Francisco. Anyway, there's a guy in Santa Rosa who did a good job modifying my buddy's R1100S seat a couple of years ago. If you want I can dig up the name.

Hi. That would be great! I'm definitely looking for options and I must admit, if I could save a few bucks in the process that would be even better. :)

I have a Corbin on my K100RT, narrow in width, comfortable and I've put tens of thousands of miles on it.

My R1100RT came with a Corbin that was very wide and much too firm for any comfort. Being 5'6" with less than a 30" inseam made coming in for a landing on this wide saddle, very precarious for my short legs. I replaced it with a Russell Daylong, although a bit high, works well when stopping by sliding up near the gas tank. Thousand kilometer days are easy on this saddle.

I have both for my 1150. Each rides differently. The Corbin makes me feel like I am sitting in the bike, the Sargent more of an on the bike feel. I like them both and can go many mile days in comfort. I ride the Sargent mostly.
If you have any interest in the Corbin shoot me a pm. I may be interested in passing it on

My vote would be for the Russell Day Long. I have never been happy with the Corbin. They make a beautiful saddle but my butt just can't take it. The RDL, on the other hand, I have ridden for 26 hours straight and my butt was fine, the rest of me was a mess.

Doug

Back