• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Leak ALERT! 1200 GS

D

Dagley

:bottle

I just had the 24K service done on my 05 GS. Of primary concern was an oil leak. See the attached document for details but had I let the bike run out of warrranty prior to getting this fixed, the bill would have been over $3,000. (Not counting that high dollar set of shocks I had them install)

The leak appears to have orriginated from a seal on the input side of the transmission allowing oil to get into the dry area bewteen the trans, and engine where the clutch is.

Check the area where the transmission mates to the engine for any signs of oil. There is not suppossed to be oil in that area, so if you see something similiar to what is in the photos, you have a pretty serious problem and need to get it fixed before the warranty runs out.

This is not a common problem but neither is it unique. They should be aware of it.

Cheers,
Dag

Attachments

• 1200GS Oil Leak.pdf
    89.1 KB · Views: 396
Good post and great pictures! Definitely something to look out for. More and more I am begining to think I need to find an airhead rather than an oilhead to replace my K75........

Motor31 said:
Good post and great pictures! Definitely something to look out for. More and more I am begining to think I need to find an airhead rather than an oilhead to replace my K75........
I can't even imagine why anybody would "replace" a K75. Get another, maybe, but replace??? Nah!

Other Stuff

It was a little more than that:
They replaced all the seals in the tranny, new clutch because the old one got fouled, etc, etc. I may have overstated the estimate but there were other warranty issues with the bike that were included. New battery, reprogramming the computers, sniping some kind of pin, recall issue on the brakes or something. Anyway they said all together the warranty work would have been around 3K.

Bottom line is everything seems to be OK now.
Dagger

PGlaves said:
I can't even imagine why anybody would "replace" a K75. Get another, maybe, but replace??? Nah!

I can only have one bike due to load limitations. No garage any more. I wanted a bike better suited to 2 up riding than the K75, that's all. The K75 has been great but it's a bit doggy 2 up.

I saw an RT go thru the same thing. It may be a hex head issue.

Im curious if you noticed the clutch slipping due the oil. Or any symptoms at all.

I get some oil in that area and have heard many stories, from a blown seal to antirust oil that will spin off in few miles and is just there for shipping ect/

It definately jumps out on the GS since its so open. It may not show up on the other hex heads.

mjuskiw

No ther signs

No, I did not notice the clutch slipping and I do a fair amount of off road riding.

I think it was obvious when I brought the bike in that this was a little more than a protective film of oil that may have been applied as any sort of anti-rust coating.

I think at first, they thought I had just overfilled it when I chnaged my own oil and it was just residue blown out the breather but when they really looked and saw where the leak had originated, the problem became clear.

I can't speak highly enough of dealer once they identified the problem. They fixed it right and were very nice about the whole thing.

If you suspect you have this problem, there is one thing you night want to check prior to letting them take the bike apart. I have heard that the clutch plate is on Natl backorder. Be sure they have, or can get the parts before the bike gets surgery so it wont be sitting around in peices. :thumb

Dag

Thanks for the tip on the parts , Ill post a followup if anything interesting comes up

Mjuskiw

Thanks for the responses. So, does this have the makings of a "pattern failure" or are we just a tiny minority with bad luck? What concerns me is the *next* time... warranty only lasts just so long...

I had this problem on my 99RT, which began at 35K and ended at 48K after numerous trips to the dealer a ton of money, but some saved under warranty. I was first told it was the input shaft, then the output shaft, then the clutch... after replacing all of it at the same time it was fixed... good luck, it is unbelieveable that they still have not fixed this problem in over 7 years, just like the surging.... and I am thinking about the new R12R...

Boxerkuh said:
I had this problem on my 99RT, which began at 35K and ended at 48K after numerous trips to the dealer a ton of money, but some saved under warranty. I was first told it was the input shaft, then the output shaft, then the clutch... after replacing all of it at the same time it was fixed... good luck, it is unbelieveable that they still have not fixed this problem in over 7 years, just like the surging.... and I am thinking about the new R12R...

Hey Boxerkuh - I can state positively that hexheads don't surge.

Back