• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1250RT no AM Radio

jono

SlaveToCurves/Wind/Motion
I have a 2022 R1250RT with the radio option. I can receive XM/Sirius radio and the FM band works fine, however no stations are heard on the AM band only static. I bought a cheapo AM/FM antenna off Amazon and connected it (through an adapter) directly to the radio and located a number of AM stations. So I determined the radio is ok, it's a problem with the antenna. I took off the tupperware on the right side of the bike and found the AM antenna (which is labeled as an AM/FM antenna!). Unplugged the bike's antenna and plugged in my cheapo and again stations came in - so it appears the wiring harness is good. I plugged the stock antenna (part #65218406329) back in and put my hand against the antenna, and the static increased greatly, so it would appear the antenna is connected, it's just not providing AM frequencies.

I've been in touch with the dealer and gotten nothing out of them. I'm reluctant to replace the antenna as an experiment since it's listed at $167 at MaxBMW.

Posted on the R1250RT group on Facebook and heard back from a number of owners who say they have no AM radio - so it would seem this is a wider spread problem than my one-off.

Anyone else with AM radio problems and found a fix? Or have any other ideas to try?

Back in the day, there was a tuning “slug” on car radios that optimized AM radio reception. If there is a section in the manual on radios or radio installation, you may find more information.
OM

Back in the day, there was a tuning “slug” on car radios that optimized AM radio reception. If there is a section in the manual on radios or radio installation, you may find more information.
OM

Sorry if I wasn't clear - the radio works fine with an aftermarket rod antenna, and doesn't work at all with the stock antenna.

The “tuning slug” adjusts, in a simplified explanation, the length of the antenna to optimize reception. Most of the older antennas had what is referred to as an “RCA” style connector. You may be able to experiment with improving reception by inserting lengths of wire in the connector even though it is not really a commercially built antenna.
In AM radio, the longer the better.
OM

Sorry to say it, try a BMW dealer that provides serious warranty service. And again sorry to say, I know they are hard to find.

Here is the antenna installed on my bike - it's the large white part on the right of the photo. Interesting placement. I get much better reception with my cheapo antenna placed at the top of the fairing.

IMG_0906.jpg

The part made in Slovenia? If that is the antenna, and a run of the mill straight “whip” style is better, my guess there is a defect. Some of these newer style reception devices rely on an amplifier. I have no idea on what they are doing in this case.
Sounds like the dealer and warranty deal.
Let us know how you make out.
OM

The part made in Slovenia? If that is the antenna, and a run of the mill straight “whip” style is better, my guess there is a defect. Some of these newer style reception devices rely on an amplifier. I have no idea on what they are doing in this case.
Sounds like the dealer and warranty deal.
Let us know how you make out.
OM

Yes, the one made in Slovenia. And curiously doesn't list any USA certificates. My dealer shows no signs of interest in working on this problem - so I'll wait until I have a service due to address it. I suspect they won't be able to do much. The antenna conducts a signal, just not adequate to pull in a radio station. As I said in my original post, a cheapo whip antenna from Amazon brings in stations - so the radio is working. It's either something with the BMW antenna or its placement.

It doesn’t take much to receive a signal. I can’t tell what the connector looks like but chances are you are familiar with coax for cable TV. On cable TV coax, a test would be just inserting the center wire in without the screw “barrel” touching. Sometimes the reception would be better with just the center touching and diminish when the barrel nut made contact.
The Slovenian part reminds me of the “in the windshield” car antennas. Not really optimum but harder to be broken off. If it’s still apart, you may be able to do further testing using an alligator style test lead.
OM

2021 r1250rt. Amfm

My AM radio option does not work either, Im taking it in to the BMW dealer Ive already told them the AM does not work at all. The wonderwheel will not adjust AM stations, its just on Freq 530.

So will see what they can tell me, MY FM works but its not very good at picking up stations not near, and I do hear the Sirius subscription message when I choose that input. so Ill let you know what I hear later in July

Last edited:
My AM radio option does not work either, Im taking it in to the BMW dealer in Cincinnati for its 12K service, Ive already told them the AM does not work at all. The wonderwheel will not adjust AM stations, its just on Freq 530.

So will see what they can tell me, MY FM works but its not very good at picking up stations not near, and I do hear the Sirius subscription message when I choose that input. so Ill let you know what I hear later in July

Take it you aren't too high on Tom Wood's capabilities?

LOL ... I was not even aware the RT had an AM radio ! I have only use FM or XM and my iPod. I will check that on my 2016 RT ....learn something new every day!

BMW Admission

Dealer informed me 4 weeks ago that BMW:

- has admitted that the XM radio is a problem on the 21 and newer R1250RTs and BMW is attempting to address this issue as the combination of the TFT and metal windshield brackets are creating reception issues

- no recognition / admission that there is an AM issue :dunno

I posted on a few other sites re: AM reception issue and a few R1250RT owners state that their AM radios work

I did drop by dealer and listened to a new R18 Trancontinental AM radio - worked just great . . . hmmm - possibly a different antenna / placement on the bike

Maybe the BMW "sales / marketing group" pushed out the bike before "engineering group" could verify that the AM radio would work - was this model release managed by a commitee or a responsible Project Delivery Manager?? :nono

Last edited:

- has admitted that the XM radio is a problem on the 21 and newer R1250RTs and BMW is attempting to address this issue as the combination of the TFT and metal windshield brackets are creating reception issues

I posted on a few other sites re: AM reception issue and a few R1250RT owners state that their AM radios work

I did drop by dealer and listened to a new R18 Trancontinental AM radio - worked just great . . . hmmm - possibly a differnt radio / placement on the bike

Maybe the BMW "sales / marketing group" pushed out the bike before "engineering group" could verify that the AM radio would work - was this model release managed by a commitee or a responsible Project Delivery Manager?? :nono

Another good reason to keep my 2016 :thumb Especially now that I know it has an AM Radio and checking the owners manual (yes last resort) I now know how to get the FM to switch to AM!

BMW should have kept the aerial rod antenna until they throughly tested the replacement.

E.

I did drop by dealer and listened to a new R18 Trancontinental AM radio - worked just great . . . hmmm - possibly a different antenna / placement on the bike

I don't know if this was clear in my earlier post - but the cheapo AM/FM rod antenna pulls in AM stations when in the same position in the fairing as the stock antenna. So I don't think it's anything other than the stock antenna not being fit for purpose.

The antenna is the most important part of receiving/transmitting, more so transmitting.
A homemade AM antenna for receiving of about 30 feet would be great. In vehicle applications, optional length is achieved (sort of) by “turns” of wire on a shaft coupled with placement.
As antennas are stream-lined for both size and placement, reception suffers.
OM

My 2022 R1250RT's AM reception is also a no go

Here is the antenna installed on my bike - it's the large white part on the right of the photo. Interesting placement. I get much better reception with my cheapo antenna placed at the top of the fairing.

View attachment 88209
Hi Jono. It's Steve from BMWLT.com blog. Just wanted to support you here too, as my 2022 R1250RT suffers the same lack of AM reception.
Question. Where exactly did you hook in your alternative AM Antenna? Does the white cylindrical holder that looks a bit like a cigarette come apart? I don't quite understand how it works/opens. I'm not going to mess with it unless my local dealership fails when they try to resolve the lack of AM reception issue but I'm gathering info now. Also, wondering if this is a dual antenna that might be contributing to or causing my bike's poor FM reception too?

Steve

Back