• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speaking of AM radio reception on your motorcycle-

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
While some think AM Broadcast radio is a thing of the past, it really isn't. You may not use it and have used it in a while but it's still actually very viable. Some may have noticed my comments on some of the "solar" threads regarding the "side effects" of electric/solar use.
It seems that some of the electric vehicle manufactures are eliminating AM radio from their cars. While the claim of AM being a thing of the past, my guess is that the lack of shielding on the electric motors used in the cars.

In case one wants to test the RFI (Radio Frequency Interference), try turning to an AM station as you approach a solar field. Perhaps being on AM next to an electric car will end with same RFI problem.

This article on the EV manufactures is interesting- https://www.axios.com/2023/03/13/electric-cars-am-radio

AM radio is, and can be, very interesting especially at night as propagation of the signal range "stretches" out.

When the "Balloon Goes Up", AM can and will be an important information outlet.

OM

I agree about the usefulness of AM. I used to travel with a mini AM/FM radio all the time. Not so much these days.

Shaggy dog story: I was in the Gulf Islands in Canada (BC) on a kayaking trip in the days before smartphones - fiddling with the radio, and accidentally dialed into the traffic report from Santa Monica.

Night time range of AM speaks for itself (pun intended).

Had a seasoned Journeyman lineman who was the lone RFI guy at the utility in Houston. I got assigned to him for a few weeks to spread red Glyptal paint/paste on suspect insulators…( I had pissed someone off I assumed)and myself as it fell off hotstick brush… another story :banghead
He had a hand held antenna connected to an analog meter to search for failing insulators. He also had an AM radio he said worked better and would point me to problem. On foggy nights near near the coast, the calls from TV owners on antennas would go crazy!

My only complaint about AM these days is it seems to make some folks angry :dunno

I’ll bet Steve remembers the rifle stock with the yagi antenna and the headphones? :)

OM

In my younger days I used to scan the AM radio dial at night. Once, when I was living in Houston, I picked up WJR 760 in Detroit, who back then, was the Detroit Tigers station. Nothing sounded better than the voice of Ernie Harwell from over 1,000 miles away.

In my younger days I used to scan the AM radio dial at night. Once, when I was living in Houston, I picked up WJR 760 in Detroit, who back then, was the Detroit Tigers station. Nothing sounded better than the voice of Ernie Harwell from over 1,000 miles away.

:clap

There was a whole hobby devoted to SWL (short wave listening). Many stations encouraged distant listeners to send/exchange SWL “cards” (QSL Cards) between stations and listeners.

OM

Growing up in the UK, listening to the latest music played by offshore pirate radio stations, and to Radio Luxembourg on the AM was popular when I was a kid.

I still break out my Dad's old Zenith Trans Oceanic H500 short wave and listen to stations from around the world at night, kinda neat it still works.

I still break out my Dad's old Zenith Trans Oceanic H500 short wave and listen to stations from around the world at night, kinda neat it still works.

That's a classic radio. Great that it is still in working order. :thumb

OM

AM's great in small town America . Morning gets you local news and events.
Night owls can find talk radio. things of the past.

It's been a while since I've seen a sign directing motorists to an AM station for road safety information. I have seen some with FM frequencies.

And I don't buy the 'critical' argument. Useful? Sure. Critical? No.

AM radio is, and can be, very interesting especially at night as propagation of the signal range "stretches" out.

For those of us tuning into Short Wave, I also played with my AM radio and got stations halfway across the continent.

On my Sony ICF-2010, I picked up Australia just using the built-in antenna.

For those of us tuning into Short Wave, I also played with my AM radio and got stations halfway across the continent.

On my Sony ICF-2010, I picked up Australia just using the built-in antenna.

The 2010 was a spectacular radio. Unfortunately there was a chip that let go rendering them “parts”. If you have one that is still working- :thumb

OM

The 2010 was a spectacular radio. Unfortunately there was a chip that let go rendering them “parts”. If you have one that is still working- :thumb

OM

It still works and is 100% mint and looks like the day I bought back in 1993?

From back then I remember a component failing possibly due to static...might have been a FET in the antenna circuit...no sure though.

I did the mod to my Yaesu FT530 so that I can receive the Air Bands (118-137 MHz)

It still works and is 100% mint and looks like the day I bought back in 1993?

From back then I remember a component failing possibly due to static...might have been a FET in the antenna circuit...no sure though.

I did the mod to my Yaesu FT530 so that I can receive the Air Bands (118-137 MHz)

Not familiar with the FT530 although someone gave me an Icom IC A22 which I got running. As this conversation is mainly about AM, including a detractor, I’m pretty sure the main radio transmission between the “heavy aircraft” is done on AM- (amplitude modulation).
When I work on this modern stuff, I have to find an Opti-Visor nowadays. :gerg

OM

Ford CEO just vowed to keep AM radio in both Ford and Lincoln cars for the foreseeable future.

Any why not. Radios are all in one chip and have been for decades. If you want the feature, program it into the dash radio or make it user selectable. I have a MFD in my car and I can add or delete what I want it to display, just as we can on our motorcycles.

Any why not. Radios are all in one chip and have been for decades. If you want the feature, program it into the dash radio or make it user selectable. I have a MFD in my car and I can add or delete what I want it to display, just as we can on our motorcycles.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, most of this solar panel stuff is very dirty as far as RFI interference. I’m guessing the electric cars are emitting the same hash.
I actually demonstrated this RFI/hash today to a fellow Amateur Radio Operator today. Anyone can test on their own to see what the extent of the RFI/hash is by their nearest solar field by tuning to AM radio and listen on the pass by the field.
OM

Back