• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hand Clutch Switch 2014 R1200RT

rob612

Hey all,

I'm having issues with my clutch lever switch not allowing me to start in gear. If anyone has replaced one for my year 2014 R1200RT (which I'm sure someone has) do you have the part number and who did you purchase it from.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

You're probably looking for #9 in this diagram from the MAX BMW parts fiche:

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 5.52.14 AM.png

There are two versions of this switch and this part of the diagram only shows the version which is used in RTs with Shift Assistant Pro and Cruise Control. BMW Part #32 72 8 537 608 is for bikes without cruise control. It has a price which is eight dollars less. I have the same issue. The microswitch piece is secured in place by a tiny self-tapping screw which looks to me as either a Torx or Allen head.

Here's how it's shown on the Euro MotoElectrics website:

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 6.02.31 AM.png

Before you spring for a new switch, make sure the one in place hasn't moved slightly causing a problem.

It is a common happening with the older K bikes.

The screw holding switch is a 1.5mm hex. Switch doesn’t rotate much but a little is all needed.
Be careful as there is a small and I mean small button spacer the screw tightens against if you remove switch. You will never find it on a shop floor!

As noted earlier, I had the problem of not being able to start the engine except when the transmission was in Neutral. I just took the two microswitch piece out of the clutch lever. It was dirty (39K miles on my RT). I cleaned it up and here's the result after the cleaning:

IMG_3380.jpg

I carefully returned it to its place in the lever housing, inserted the tiny screw using a T8 Torx driver, repositioned everything, and gave it a try. It worked immediately! Nice. We'll see how long this fix lasts.

Thanks to Omega Man for his wisdom and experience regarding micro-switches.

It is likely this one.

View attachment 85462

As noted earlier, I had the problem of not being able to start the engine except when the transmission was in Neutral. I just took the two microswitch piece out of the clutch lever. It was dirty (39K miles on my RT). I cleaned it up and here's the result after the cleaning:

View attachment 85472

I carefully returned it to its place in the lever housing, inserted the tiny screw using a T8 Torx driver, repositioned everything, and gave it a try. It worked immediately! Nice. We'll see how long this fix lasts.

Thanks for your response I'll give it little electronic cleaner.

Update on My Clutch Microswitch Experience

Well, fast forward a few days. I had taken the switch out of the housing at the clutch, found that it was very dirty, and used various physical and chemical methods to clean it up. That minor bit of work got it going again. But, after a couple of days of riding around NJ and PA, it stopped functioning.

I had already scheduled a service at Quaker City BMW in PA. I told them of my difficulty, and as soon as they replaced my clutch microswitches they were working again as intended. Here is a photo of the part which they took out of my 2015 RT showing the two switches in one unit:

IMG_3394.jpg

FWIW, this piece failed after about 6.5 years of usage over 40,000 miles. I probably use the clutch a lot, living in intensely-developed MA and now NJ.

Omega Man has had a lot of experience in microswitches in the work that he does. He said they all have a life, and sometimes can be revived for a while after failure. Once again, Gary was right.

Last edited:

View attachment 85472

Thanks for the heads up!

Back