• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gas gage?

gazzo

gazzo
A friend just bought a new F650GS.
His only complaint is that there is no gas gage (until it says it is in reserve).

Are there any aftermarket gas gages for this bike?

You posted the question in the F650GS TWIN section. And since these bikes do have a gas guage I am assuming you mean the F650 single.

To answer your question about a guage I don't think there is an after market option. I had a fuel injected F650 single and didn't miss the gas guage at all. Just use the low fuel light. On mine the fuel light would come on between 163-180 miles. When the light came on I had 60 miles of gas left.

I now have a F650GS Twin and the gas guage on these things is friggin useless. It stays on full until after half the tank of gas is used and then plummets downward. I now ignore the guage and have gone back to using the low fuel light and trip meter to let me know when to get gas.

I just went out and looked at it because I was not sure. Always had R's so I am not familiar with the F bikes.
It is a twin as best as I can tell. Two exhaust headers into one.
It says F650GS. It is new within the past 2 months, so I would assume an '08 or '09 model.

The fuel gauge is part of the optional trip computer I believe. I don't know if it's possible to add that on after the fact or if it is a factory only deal. My guess is it would not be practical to add it later. I doubt adding any sort of accessory unit would be straight forward or very accurate anyway.

I like having the gauge available as a guide, but pretty much use the trip odometer to track my mileage travelled on a fill up. Once you become familiar with the consumption and typical range. You get pretty good at knowing how much fuel is left.

I wonder what information is shown on a bike without the trip computer, since the trip computer display is also the odometer. :scratch I would assume that at the least you would still have the odometer, trip meters, gear position, and clock. :dunno I would of assumed you would also get the gas guage and water temp guage.

The owners manuel should show what info you get with and without the computer but I'm to lazy to look.

I gotta say I do get a kick out of the instant gas mileage feature of the computer. Its kinda fun to see how miniscule changes in throttle affect the gas mileage.

Back