• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replace helmet every 2-4 years?!?

There's only one way to find out if a six year old helmet still protects like new, and I'm not going to be the guy to do it. I figure it's a good feeling to buy a new helmet every five years, it means I never had to use it for it's intended purpose before then!

Perfect attitude!

Replace the helmet after 5 years? only if you first spend the second $500 on full leathers (or equal).

I'd much rather crash with an old helmet & leathers than a new helmet & streetwear.:D

Go with 5 years

A friend of my used to pull that silly rationale on his wife so he could justify spending money on a new Arai every 2 years or so.

Do a search on Motorcyclist magazine's article on DOT vs. Snell for some eye opening results. Bottom line is, modern helmets that are DOT (or Snell) are damn good.

I've been meaning to take a band saw to one of my crashed HJC helmets to see if I can detect the foam compression from the hit. (it was quite a whack so I replaced it)

Fall on your head, and you'll see the compression of the foam, and be thankful (yep, I've seen it, felt my forehead, happily tossed the thing in the trash, and spent the money for a new helmet).

Drop the helmet off your bike's seat, and no, it's not going to need replacing. This latter from the Arai rep who made a video with Leno regarding helmet sizing (Snell also says dropping it won't require replacement):

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm

Regarding the famous Motorcyclist article on helmets, it was excellent, as far as it went, however, as you read it, bear in mind they only tested DONATED helmets, thus lots of helmets were excluded [I believe it was last year in one of its issues that Motorcyclist crowed about how Snell has "finally" seen the light and changed their test protocols to mimic the article's recommendations; still, I take the MC comments with a small grain of salt, as they didn't do a Consumer Reports-style deal and go out and purchase (all) helmet brands]:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Here's the Snell link, scroll down to the new 2010 standards to see the changes in Snell protocols (along with their self-serving comments):

http://www.smf.org/stds.html

And finally, there's a new testing protocol out of England, called SHARP, which alleges it's a good real-life comparison:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Rather than use anecdotes regarding "I've been wearing the same helmet for X years and it still looks fine," which is the corollary to the Oil Law "I've been using X brand oil for years with no problems therefore it's the best," I'll consider the experts' objective test results when purchasing my next 5-year-old helmet.

Last edited:
Should I crash and my helmet sustains any impact whatsoever, I'll gladly consider the helmet as disposable. Heck - I've been doing that with bicycle helmets for decades, so I'm familiar with the drill.

I'm not worried about my helmet degrading over four or five years. My Shoei Multi-tec is two years old now and I have no intention of replacing it anytime in the next couple of years. It's never been dropped (knock on wood) and I baby the heck out of it considering how much it cost and the important job I ask it to do.

But I refuse to believe claims that the protective properties of the high density foam inside the helmet degrades to the point that it won't adequately protect my head in an impact five years from now. The foam inside my m/c helmet is identical to the foam in my bicycle helmet, and that stuff doesn't degrade over time - only with impact. Maybe over 50 years the chemicals would break down, but certainly not over five years - and especially not over 2-4 years as the CR article claimed.

If the U.S. Department of Transportation tells me I need to replace my helmet every five years, I'll believe them. I won't believe the claims made by companies in the business of selling new helmets. They have too much at stake to be unbiased.

That's a nice marketing slogan - and there's no argument that many helmets are trash. But inexpensive DOT approved helmets are much better than cheap helmets were 30 years ago. Testing of DOT vs. Snell is a hot topic, but I'm convinced DOT testing is more representative of real life crashes and good, full face helmets are available for less than $200.

umm, what is this "DOT testing" you speak of?

DOT does not test helmets, not now, nor in the past. They established standards of performance (based on data/information collected in the early 1970's), presented those standards to the helmet manufacturers. Next, they ask a basic question: "are your helmets meeting the standards we established?" If the company says "yes indeedy-do we are", then they get to affix a DOT sticker to those helmets.

To extract the most life from your helmet, it should be stored in a light-free environment of consistent temperature and humidity. That is not your unheated garage- sounds like a closet to me. Stored in that manner, the "shelf-life" of an unused helmet is virtually infinite (according to AGV). This means that when you find a killer deal on a helmet that you really like, you can go ahead and buy 2 of them, storing one away for when the other is ready for replacement. and, by storing indoors, the shelf life of an in-use helmet can be extended toward the farther end of the 3-5 year range.

And yet, CR's evaluation and opinion regarding global warming is spot on perfect. I guess it's just motorcycle helmets they don't know much about. :D

BTW - replacing your helmet every five years seems consistent with helmet manufacturers' recommendations.

I think CR has a lot to learn about four wheeled vehicles let alone two wheeled ones. Personally, I don't trust CR as far as I could throw it. It's not that I don't read their reviews, I just take put much weight in their conclusions and recommendations.

I read that riders should replace their helmets every two to four years because the materials degrade and the helmet becomes unsafe simply by aging.

Should? And this is based on what? Testing I hope.

Just as helmets undergo tests when given initial approval, they should also test them when they've been sitting around for 5 years if they make that statement.

Personally, I don't trust CR as far as I could throw it. It's not that I don't read their reviews, I just take put much weight in their conclusions and recommendations.

That would apply to every magazine out there. Every read the final one or two paragraphs of a review? They're careful not to upset anyone. That is the reason why I don't waste my time with any of them...including the ones in the ON.

I won't believe the claims made by companies in the business of selling new helmets. They have too much at stake to be unbiased.

Not only that, but a well known paper on helmets and safety also said that anything over $150 doesn't protect you any better. You are paying for the name, the fit and finish and those fancy graphics that helmet manufacturers seem to concentrate far more on than the important issues.

If your head hits a guardrail and snaps your neck, the helmet has very little to do with protecting you at that point other than making you look pretty in your coffin.

Not only that, but a well known paper on helmets and safety also said that anything over $150 doesn't protect you any better. You are paying for the name, the fit and finish and those fancy graphics that helmet manufacturers seem to concentrate far more on than the important issues.
I believe the results were that some (but not all) of the $150 helmets protect as well as more expensive ones.
you are also paying for more than just "name, fit, finish & fancy graphics" with your extra money- you are buying features.
top vents that actually vent? not so much on the KMart special. chin vents that actually let air thru? again, not so much from that BlueLight Special. removable, washable cheek pads and liner parts, so your helmet doesn't smell ike something resurrected out of a High School Locker room? again, not so common on the cheap lids. custom fit the size via varying thickness of cheek pads? well, you get the idea.

sometimes, you DO get something more for your additional coin.

You are also paying for more than just "name, fit, finish & fancy graphics" with your extra money- you are buying features.

And despite all of that, there is no such thing as a quiet helmet. I've always said its easier to apply graphics than solve real issues.

I buy my helmet based on "fit and comfort" above all else, then quality and features. Preferable all in the same package.

Talking about features, one that every helmet should have is an internal sun visor like the one found in the Schuberth, Nolan and a few others.

And despite all of that, there is no such thing as a quiet helmet. I've always said its easier to apply graphics than solve real issues.

however, some are notably guieter than others. also, the weight of helmets can vary substantially. this is another case where repalcing your helmet on a regular basis can reap benefits- as new technology allows lighter lids that still afford consistent (or superior) levels of protection.

I buy my helmet based on "fit and comfort" above all else, then quality and features. Preferable all in the same package.

exactly. if it doesn't fit correctly, it's next door to worthless

Talking about features, one that every helmet should have is an internal sun visor like the one found in the Schuberth, Nolan and a few others.

agree on the internal visor- wish my Arai had that feature.

agree on the internal visor- wish my Arai had that feature.

I think it along with flip-up chin bars are a Snell no-no. Thats why you won't see one in an Arai.

I'm sorry (and you've heard that before) that I sold my Schuberth Concept months after I picked it up in Germany. Once you've had an internal sun visor, you'll always miss it.

But the good news is...I just noticed that the Concept 2 (C2) took a big price drop at Louis. I just never liked it as much as the original Concept because they cheaped out on the interior. Maybe I'll pick one up this summer.

I think it along with flip-up chin bars are a Snell no-no. Thats why you won't see one in an Arai.

there's no automatic exclusion by Snell of a flip-face helmet. the reason that none, to date, have receved a Snell Approval is because they must pass standards of performance for a FF helmet, and until recently no one has submitted one of their lids for testing.
One is about to be approved- we believe it to be the AGV model- previously known as the Miglia, but they changed the name again, and i'm not quite sure what it's being called now.

not sure how/why an internal visor might play into the testing protocols.

there's no automatic exclusion by Snell of a flip-face helmet. the reason that none, to date, have receved a Snell Approval is because they must pass standards of performance for a FF helmet, and until recently no one has submitted one of their lids for testing.
One is about to be approved- we believe it to be the AGV model- previously known as the Miglia, but they changed the name again, and i'm not quite sure what it's being called now.

not sure how/why an internal visor might play into the testing protocols.

But there are Snell Approved open face helmets.

If your head hits a guardrail and snaps your neck, the helmet has very little to do with protecting you at that point other than making you look pretty in your coffin.

Well, yes and no. Helmets costing more than $150 probably don't protect any more but believe me, there is a huge difference in between the HJC's I used to wear and the Arai's I wear now.

Comfort, cleanability, ergonomics. My Arai full face weighs so much less than my HJCs that it makes a huge discernable difference in my riding fun factor.

I would say that a $150 helmet is fine until you're ready to maximize your comort and wearability.

Also features are all personal preference. I hate flip up sun visors and all that mess. I wear really good eyeglasses and change lenses. I use a fog-proof pinlock, though. THey are the best thing since sliced bread.

Back