• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who Else Changes Their Own Tires?

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
As far back as I can remember, have always changed my own MC tires, including with snowflake mags on several Airheads. Back in the day, I used to wrestle them in the driveway, with large screwdrivers or whatever else available. About 20 years ago, I bought a Harbor Freight tire changer, with adapter for motorcycle tires, and that made life much easier. I thought snowflakes were the most difficult, till I tried to mount a run flat car tire on a GL1800 GoldWing. After 2-3 hours, I gave up and took it to a car tire store. But I hated defeat, and took lots of notes from fellow GoldWingers who'd figured out how to change them, Next time around, I changed the GoldWing's RF car tire myself, and what a feeling of accomplishment! I enjoy the independence changing my own MC tires, and wouldn't want it any other way. I used to use balance beads, but stopped long ago, as I cannot tell a difference, with or without them.

Does anyone else here change their own MC tires? including snowflakes?

I have a No Mar still in the box in the garage waiting patiently for me to put it together. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to make that leap.

I also have the NoMar and it works incredibly well. Between myself and close friends it has easily paid for itself. The best part for me, aside from the obvious cost savings, is that I can change tires at MY convenience. :thumb

The best part for me, aside from the obvious cost savings, is that I can change tires at MY convenience. :thumb

I have a Harbor Freight tire changer with the Mojo rim clamps and Mojo bar. I have had to add to it with tire irons and a few other little tools to peel off BMW tire with the almost non existent drop center.

I fully agree with the above statement. When I first bought my Harley the dealer would not guarantee a time slot, I would have to run the motorcycle over, drop it off, get a ride home and pick it up later, usually a few days later. The time that tok I could change the tire myself so it came out of convenience, cost was just an added bonus. I have changed tires at 2AM when I just felt like banging around the shop instead of sleeping. Between my buddy and I we have changed quite a few tires.

I happened to be at the dealership one day and watched them run HD bagger in for tires. I noticed the time. In 45 minutes they changed both tires, and had rolled the motorcycle outside. They charge a full two hours for that service. That kind of ticked me off too. That got me to time myself while doing both tires on my 2005 Ultra. I could do both in about an hour and 15 minutes. My 2016 takes longer as the rear tire and rim is just simply heavy so it is a handful to get off and back on the motorcycle. My 2018 is a breeze in comparison.

Had a Harbor Freight and switched to a No Mar about nine years ago. This past summer I got a Derek Weaver pneumatic tire changer which makes things much easier. I sold the No Mar to a Canadian friend and it is still sitting in my shop as we wait for the border to reopen.

Kevin, which No-Mar do you buy, the Cycle Hill? What made it better than the HF ? I have considered buying one, but the HF still serves me well with the Mojo additions.

Kevin, which No-Mar do you buy, the Cycle Hill? What made it better than the HF ? I have considered buying one, but the HF still serves me well with the Mojo additions.

I do not recall the model name and having just looked at their site I think they have changed their model names since I bought mine. I believe mine was their middle of the pack model. I also see that they are having a "Black Friday" sale for the entire month of November, so probably a good time to buy. Maybe Rangerrecce will sell you his. I had not made any modifications to my HF changer. The No Mar, with the Post-clamps installed, holds the wheel much better and without damge to the wheel and that is half the battle right there.

I have been doing my own, from lawn tractor to pickup truck to motorcycle. Not that I’m happy about it but I haven’t found a local operation that doesn’t turn a tire change into real realigning the Warp-Core. :dunno
OM

Harbor Freight here as well with Mojo Bar and Mojo Clamp Blocks.

I just made a further modification to my HF changer by trimming the existing HF wheel clamps so that they do not extend above the Mojo Blocks.

Much easier to get a good grip on the wheels of my GS ADV.

HF Mojo Block Trim.jpg

Additions To Harbor Freight

I have added several things to the basic HF machine: rim protectors, medium size irons and most importantly, No-Mar tire mount lube. It comes in a jar about the size of a Vaseline jar, and makes mounting any MC tire easier. With the RF car tire on the GoldWing, it was absolutely necessary. Sounds like we all learn our own tricks. As others here, I do not enjoy changing MC tires, but also agree, it's not about the $ it's about convenience and independence.

I have changed my own tires for years. I have a waist high stand and use 14" tire irons. I have an old JC Whitney auto tire bead breaker. I use a couple of V clamps I use to help keep the bead in the wheel center.

I have an airhead tire changer, a 25 gal oil drum with a piece of fuel line cut and put on the lip. it, is stable, and a nice height. I also have a coats 220, which is nice.

I do not recall the model name and having just looked at their site I think they have changed their model names since I bought mine. I believe mine was their middle of the pack model. I also see that they are having a "Black Friday" sale for the entire month of November, so probably a good time to buy. Maybe Rangerrecce will sell you his. I had not made any modifications to my HF changer. The No Mar, with the Post-clamps installed, holds the wheel much better and without damge to the wheel and that is half the battle right there.

Couldn’t even if I wanted to: went in three ways with two other members, about $400 each, I think that makes it towards the top of the line model at $1200 with the balancer.

I just have to get motivated to put it together and get Brian Hinton to clear up his schedule and come down and show me how to use the darned thing.

There is the matter of the “funsway” of the garage mahal. I scratch my head often wondering where to put it.

My balance stand is very similar. I built it from some left over angle and square tube scraps and some patio screen door rollers. Total cost was less than $5 and an hour or so to build.

How about a picture with a little write up on how you use it?
TIA
OM

I remember the old days of wrapping solder around the spokes for balance weights :gerg

How about a picture with a little write up on how you use it?
TIA
OM

I remember the old days of wrapping solder around the spokes for balance weights :gerg

Where do you buy, and what type of spoke weights do you guys use? I'm going to be mouting and balancing a couple of tires soon and was a bit shocked at the cost of the weights. I would think you would need an assortment of different value weights to get it right. My local shop that used to balance my tires is no more.

Last edited:
Where do you buy, and what type of spoke weights do you guys use? I'm going to be mouting and balancing a couple of tires soon and was a bit shocked at the cost of the weights. I would think you would need an assortment of different value weights to get it right. My local shop that used to balance my tires is no more.

I don't have any spoked wheels on the bikes I regularly ride so I use stick-on weights. But a quick google search for "motorcycle spoke wheel weights" resulted in several sources.

I don't have any spoked wheels on the bikes I regularly ride so I use stick-on weights. But a quick google search for "motorcycle spoke wheel weights" resulted in several sources.
Yeah, I found some too. Quite exspensive, I was looking for the best deal for an assortment. But thanks anyway.

Yeah, I found some too. Quite exspensive, I was looking for the best deal for an assortment. But thanks anyway.

Yes but they are generally reusable. And generally a single weight is all that is needed to balance a wheel/tire.

Also, what I do is balance the wheel with no tire mounted. I then mark that weight with a distinct mark - red paint in my case - to show it as permanent. After that most tires need no weight or very little weight added.

Last edited:
Back