• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's missing from your ride?

droptop92

The aftermarket seems to fill the void for that one more farkle you just HAVE to get. Comfy seat? Bar risers? Lighting? All out there for the picking. But what is missing from your current ride that the original manufacturer just doesn't seem to quite understand? For me it is a cruise control on my F800GS. With so many new bikes going to ride-by-wire throttles, why don't we see more cruise controls on smaller displacement (<1000cc) bikes??

Tell me what you ride and what OEM feature you would like to see fully integrated straight from the factory.

Thanks!

'09 R1200GSA. The same observation I've had about almost every bike I've ever owned: the stock seats are mediocre at best and ironing boards at worst. Goes for Hondas I've owned, two KLRs, my Ural, a Moto Guzzi.

The glorious exception: my '02 R1150GS. That seat was perfect. I once had to do consecutive days of 750+ miles each and my hindquarters had no complaints. And the handgrips were great, too, just the right diameter.

I mean do you ever buy a car or truck expecting to have to replace the driver's seat? Why do motorcycle manufacturers constantly scrimp on seats?

On my 94 RS it's the seat. At about 160 miles the pain starts, my solution is hopefully the RDL sport seat, scheduled for August. :dance

'04 RT. I don't think the factory missed anything to be honest. I feel it was pretty much perfect out of the box.

Maybe the stock seat, but that's about it.

'09 R1200GSA. The same observation I've had about almost every bike I've ever owned: the stock seats are mediocre at best and ironing boards at worst. Goes for Hondas I've owned, two KLRs, my Ural, a Moto Guzzi.

The glorious exception: my '02 R1150GS. That seat was perfect. I once had to do consecutive days of 750+ miles each and my hindquarters had no complaints. And the handgrips were great, too, just the right diameter.

I mean do you ever buy a car or truck expecting to have to replace the driver's seat? Why do motorcycle manufacturers constantly scrimp on seats?

http://imgur.com/gallery/lfBxF :thumb

I don't find anything lacking on the stock seat for '16 RT except perhaps the front of the seat is a bit too wide for me, but not bad. Took it out 2 mo after delivery for a 9,163m trip and loved every second of it. I got off the bike about every 60-90 minutes for fuel, drink, stretch. Perhaps for dedicated IB riding something better might be needed.

I have a 2016 R1200RS and would like to see small LED lights on the front and rear of the bike to make me more visible to others.
2 extra lights in front and rear to make a triangle pattern.

K1300s and K75s..

need nothing. stock seats, bars, pegs, etc. all perfect for hours and hours of riding.

K75 had bar risers on when i got it. hated them. took'em off. back to stock.
both bikes had aftermarket seats when i got them. K75 was Corbin, K13 was Sargent. ditched both after many miles and put stock seats back on. way better.

well, both need one thing, MORE MILES WITH ME RIDING THEM!

I have a 2016 R1200RS and would like to see small LED lights on the front and rear of the bike to make me more visible to others.
2 extra lights in front and rear to make a triangle pattern.

R1200RS is such a cool looking machine! I'm leaning towards Skenes now as I just have trouble justifying the lovely Clearwaters as I don't ride at night and agree small LEDs for conspicuity could be good. A good study on conspicuity suggested asymmetry is a meaningful attribute for lighting schemes, for example having a triangle pattern with one light set being amber. If I do go Clearwaters I'd get the Erika/Krysta hybrid and use the amber lens cover on one of them. For conspicuity I think I already have a fair amount w/ RTW's 3 headlights plus LED halos and my high-vis jacket and white helmet. The study I read suggested the main value comes into play when the motorcyclist is going well over the speed limit because the asymmetric arrangement helps others at an intersection or side street be able to judge the speed of the motorcycle better. At speeds I go thru intersections at I'm not going fast per se, and if the possibility exists of someone turning into me early enough on I weave and sometimes rapidly flash high beams and will blast my 3-horn array! If they can't see and hear that a few more lights probably won't help a whole lot. But they sure look cool under the mirrors on RTW, the Clearwaters that is :rolleyes

16 RT the OEM Seat has to go.

I've never been on something so uncomfortable in my life, 30 mins on it and I'm ready to get off for the day. I've ordered a Sargent seat it will be here in a few weeks, we'll see how that goes. They have a 30 day return policy, that should be plenty of time for testing.

Love the bike otherwise, can't wait to get this one issue fixed.

AWD & Smartphone Integration

I would like to have a 2-wheel-drive system for my GS, one that can be engaged via a button on the handlebar when needed in difficult and/or slippery terrain. Ideally this system would be hydraulic but an electric version might also work. It would be excellent if it the rider could engage as much front wheel drive as needed, not just an on/off proposition.

This technology would make it far easier to handle the heavy GS in rough going.

Also.... I would much rather be able to plug in my Smartphone to the bike and use it for instrumentation, navigation, e-commerce and entertainment.

Ian

How about a front fender that actually keeps road crap off of the engine and pipes?
After my airheads (which were OK in this regard, but I added mud flaps anyway), my K75S, K100LT, and three oilheads all required additions to the front fender; I also added Huggers to the oilheads.

How about a front fender that actually keeps road crap off of the engine and pipes?

Vetter made one back in the day; The Rainy Day Fender. It worked really well, a flexible strip along the edges of the fender directed the water to the middle and the beak at the bottom threw it out on the centerline of the bike.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1414061928-566305-jpg.812

Been watching this thread, I think the point has been missed.

Been watching.....now a weigh in,

Side bag to keep beer cold while riding home from the vendor.

Stirrups for Redheads because a lot of them are short, I love Redheads.

An alarm clock that tells you that there is still enough time to put some miles on before work

A tire warning system that lets you know that you ain't giverner enough and they can do more

An automatic warning that you have ignored keeping 'er clean.

A feature that when you pull up to a chick riding a V-Twin cruiser and she thinks she's all that 'cause she rides, it pops up and says, "try to keep up to this".

Back