• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The New Bagger BMW

Agreed. I have to remember that most people were scratching their heads when BMW brought out the original GS bikes. I think we all know how that turned out. BMW doesn't seem to be afraid to take chances on new designs, probably one of their better traits. I think also of the brick engine, ABS on motorcycles, even the revolutionary, small, (somewhat) six cylinder engine in this new model when it first came out, to name a just a few "unusual" design ideas from them. At this point I'm not too surprised by anything they debut. Besides which, it all seems to run well, and have a certain class about it. I'll bet this model is a lot nicer than a Street Glide, in every way.

I disagree on the comparison to the GS. That variant was an extension of BMW's ISDT efforts in the 60 and 70's. As such, it was a novel concept developed by BMW.

The bagger is just BMW's shot at a bagger.

BMW is no doubt very happy with the reaction on the forum to the Bagger. :clap

Their 2020 goal for the US is to double their market share. They won't do that by selling just to their traditional customer base, which now includes three models of S 1000 series bikes. They aren't the traditional BMW MOA type of bike but have done much to expand BMW's US and world market share.

At launch they describe it as the first of a series of bikes designed for the US market. Instead of cannibalizing their existing base this is their first take on how to expand their base. It has been reasonably received in the cruiser press. Time will tell if it sells or is a bust.

They will continue to build bikes we are accustomed to and ...

Now that our gov't has informed the Germans that their currency is undervalued, those BMW marketing goals will most likely need to be revised.

Never seen this before....

Now that our gov't has informed the Germans that their currency is undervalued, those BMW marketing goals will most likely need to be revised.

Never seen this before....

I doubt they will change the marketing goals. What may well change is the how management distiguishes between goals and performance evaluation metrics. In 2008 the Motorrad Segment production goal was set at 150,000 units per year by 2014/15. It did not reach that goal but performed strongly in that difficult period when compared to other manufacturers.

BMW did the Bagger reveal in LA not Milan. That was a big deal that went under the radar for most traditional BMW riders. Motorrad President Schiller set the goal and identified it as the first in a line intended specifically for the US / NA market intended to expand the customer base in the effort to reach the goal.

The 2020 goals for the Motorrad segment are 200,000 units world wide, doubling the US market share, adding at least 200 dealers world wide and expanding BMW's South American footprint outside of Brazil to a continent wide one. We can outline all sorts of challenges in doing that. The challenge for management is to come up with strategies to overcome them.

:lurk

I've been an MOA member since 1977. And I have to say that almost every time BMW came out with a new model line there were naysayers aplenty to deride the new bikes. It happened with the K100, the K1200LT, the K1200R (upright motor), and the F650 Funduro, and later the X (cross) series of 650s and the 450. It was especially true with the R1200C, but less so with the other Oilheads. The polite folks would criticize BMW and the bikes and then append some trite statement about how others can choose what they like.

And so it is, once again with the G310 bikes and now this Bagger. Oh, how history repeats itself.

I doubt they will change the marketing goals. What may well change is the how management distiguishes between goals and performance evaluation metrics. In 2008 the Motorrad Segment production goal was set at 150,000 units per year by 2014/15. It did not reach that goal but performed strongly in that difficult period when compared to other manufacturers.

BMW did the Bagger reveal in LA not Milan. That was a big deal that went under the radar for most traditional BMW riders. Motorrad President Schiller set the goal and identified it as the first in a line intended specifically for the US / NA market intended to expand the customer base in the effort to reach the goal.

The 2020 goals for the Motorrad segment are 200,000 units world wide, doubling the US market share, adding at least 200 dealers world wide and expanding BMW's South American footprint outside of Brazil to a continent wide one. We can outline all sorts of challenges in doing that. The challenge for management is to come up with strategies to overcome them.

:lurk

The assumption that BMW will absorb costs to meet a sales target is pretty strong.

Nothing wrong at all with the looks of the 310 bike, I really like the looks of it. If Paul G. says the are ok, who would I be to argue? I am just afraid they will prove to be underpowered, especially loaded with gear. Also, that little single is really turning some rpms at 65-70mph, and I question how the engine will hold out long term. One thing I have learned in my life (and I'm not too proud to admit it), is that the older I get, the more I realize I don't know anything about anything! :scratch. I hope they prove to be super duper, because I will probably buy one. Oh yea, they are made in India too. :)

The assumption that BMW will absorb costs to meet a sales target is pretty strong.

I am not assuming anything beyond BMW will do what they can to maximize their effort in the US. Right now what they have told us is a goal of doubling US market share by 2020 and a worldwide goal of 200,000 units per year.

The US market share was not defined. Their 2015 sales were a new record. Their 2016 sales just beat their 2012 number. What that means for the goal and how you measure it is unknown, at least to me. How is up to the guys at BMW who make the big bucks. They could raise prices, eat profit, assemble CKD... I don't know.

I've been an MOA member since 1977. And I have to say that almost every time BMW came out with a new model line there were naysayers aplenty to deride the new bikes. It happened with the K100, the K1200LT, the K1200R (upright motor), and the F650 Funduro, and later the X (cross) series of 650s and the 450. It was especially true with the R1200C, but less so with the other Oilheads. The polite folks would criticize BMW and the bikes and then append some trite statement about how others can choose what they like.

And so it is, once again with the G310 bikes and now this Bagger. Oh, how history repeats itself.

Yea, I recall most of those introductions too and the resulting outcries of "How could BMW do this? What are they thinking?"

I can understand BMW's thinking with regard to the G310 series, but this bagger... why?
What does it do that the K16GT can't do? Fuggetabout the bagger cruiser market. It's shaking out to be H-D and Indian. Period.

Market Trends

Is BMW too late to the market for a bagger? It seems like everyone else is already building a production line bagger, so what makes BMW different (other than a better bike). Ten years ago the market was for choppers. Once nearly everyone was building a chopper, riders started looking for what they could do to differentiate their ride. The market seemed to go mostly towards baggers, with some toes in the water for cafe' racer style as well. What is the next market trend for motorcycle design?

I don't have a true eye for market trends, but it seems to me that companies on the tail end of the market don't always do as well as those which take risks to lead or are at least only one or two spots behind the lead.

That said, I kind of like BMW's bagger. But, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, I would prefer a Boxer bagger mostly because I like the look of the Boxer engine over the K-bike. YMMV.

Yea, I recall most of those introductions too and the resulting outcries of "How could BMW do this? What are they thinking?"

I can understand BMW's thinking with regard to the G310 series, but this bagger... why?
What does it do that the K16GT can't do? Fuggetabout the bagger cruiser market. It's shaking out to be H-D and Indian. Period.

BMW has been trying to figure out how to get into the cruiser/bagger market since the dropped the R1200C line. No it doesn't do anything a K1600GT can do except look like a Bagger. The B/C market may be shaking out to be dominated by H-D and Indian but that may be why BMW sees an opportunity, not to dominate the segment, but sell a few bikes. Remember what brought many of us to BMW? They weren't H-D, Brit bikes or UJMs.

The risk for financial risk BMW is low. The underlying K1600 platform already exists. They don't need to tool up and train a new production line and fill the aftermarket parts line with all that many new parts. If they sell they have to deal with scheduling production and not a whole lot more.

What surprised me was they haven't introduced a Bobber variant of the R nineT in the process.

The B/C market may be shaking out to be dominated by H-D and Indian but that may be why BMW sees an opportunity, not to dominate the segment, but sell a few bikes. Remember what brought many of us to BMW? They weren't H-D, Brit bikes or UJMs.

A few years ago I looked at U.S. sales by HD and by BMW. In that specific year if BMW could have captured 2% of HD sales, BMW sales would have doubled. A "few' conquest sales from HD could be a big gain for BMW. Time will tell.

I like baggers. I'm building an old school version. Slow process, I know. But, I like bobbers, cafe racers, scramblers, tourers, muscle bikes, dragsters, small, large, fast, not as fast, solo, two up, Cheap, expensive The poplar and the obscure. Whatever it takes to go for a ride. :love

What's the fuss:scratch

View attachment 60033

Have one it seems:jester

I like this motorcycle...every time it shows up here, it reminds me of the early days, when motorcycles were motorcycles , when vanity mirrors were not an option :dance I have three modern rides, but considering going back....to lighter, less complicated , no computer, etc.

I do not need 150 HP & a mini TV to tell where to turn. If I get lost ? I enjoy being lost, till I find myself again :dunno

Add to this one, tubeless tires, upgraded charging system....and , I'm good to go.

Back