• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The New Bagger BMW

What has happened to BMW? IMO, that thing is the worse looking motorcycle BMW has ever built. :banghead
PS: I hope they can't sell ANY. I wouldn't park next to one.

Actually, history repeats itself ...

This is about the same as the early 2000s K1200LT and R1200C ... both I think the response to pressure from USA dealers somehow thinking BMW should compete with lesser motorcycles.

Yes, this new one is equally an embarrassment to BMW.

That said, whenever BMW goes down this dead end street, it remains that the underlying motorcycle is superior to those it chooses to compete with.

That said, whenever BMW goes down this dead end street, it remains that the underlying motorcycle is superior to those it chooses to compete with.

When the form defeats the function, what's it matter if the underlying machinery is superior? I would buy the Honda and get the reliability.

hey, look at it this way, Gail... at least you can easily flatfoot it! :ha
:wave Hey Visian! I gave up flatfooting a long time ago and I don't think I could even on that fugly thing. Why BMW has to go down that path is a mystery to me?? And, no I don't want to see a bunch of bs statistics on what people want in a motorcycle. I chose BMW a long time ago because it used to be different from the status quo, like the other people who owned & rode them. That sure has changed just like everything else changes...doesn't mean I have to like it or buy one.:) I am sorry to say, it seems like everyday BMW is getting less appealing to me....from the bikes right down to the club itself (yea, I said it). I have heard from several different BMW dealers, that they are dropping my G650GS, so that pretty much puts me out of the BMW business unless I can find a used one, and I usually do buy low mileage used. I prefer a dual sport over a roadster, etc. I know several men who ride the G650GS, and like them because they are light and can be lowered, if need be. So lets see...lets stop making the G650 and make a cruiser that looks like a monkey f..king a football, or the G310 which is pretty much useless unless your going to the post office (sorry Paul & Voni I really do love y'all). Now...back under my rock :).

or the G310 which is pretty much useless unless your going to the post office (sorry Paul & Voni I really do love y'all). Now...back under my rock :).

I recall a 120cc trailbike that carried my father and I, when I started out. It wasn't useless and we weren't little people, either.

Do I see BMW selling a lot of the 310's, no? But, that doesn't mean they're useless.

Do I see BMW selling a lot of the 310's, no? But, that doesn't mean they're useless.

They are absolutely USELESS for the kind of riding I do, and that is what I was referring to. I have "other" bikes too, but I don't ride cross country on them. Did you major in nit-picking?:)

By the way, just what does the 18k service on a K1600, or a K1300 cost? You never know, I might want one someday. I do like the K bike idea. Can I say that here?

Can't speak to the K16 but expect it would be slightly more than on the K13. For a full 18k service done 100% by dealer (oil&filter, valve check, all other required/recommended checks as per the BMW service DVD), typically a low of around $800 and ranging up to $1000 depending upon the dealer. If valve clearances need adjusting, not just checking, additional costs arise from shim buckets and such. When spark plugs are $26.82 each, things add up in a hurry.
Best,
DG

Last edited:
They are absolutely USELESS for the kind of riding I do, and that is what I was referring to. I have "other" bikes too, but I don't ride cross country on them. Did you major in nit-picking?:)

Actually, Voni and I plan on riding cross country, or at least touring, on G310s. Why not. I can't say cross-country for sure because I almost never wander east of the Mississippi for aversion to congestion reasons. But, the top speed works, the carrying capacity works, and the fuel mileage is marvelous. We have been hosting a couple of riders from Maine - one who is 9,000 miles into her trip on a KLX250. We know a guy who spent a month or so touring from New York to California, by way of the Texas Big Bend, on his 250 Kawasaki Super Sherpa.

By the way, just what does the 18k service on a K1600, or a K1300 cost? You never know, I might want one someday. I do like the K bike idea. Can I say that here?

Never had a full service at the dealer, but a valve check, spark plug and coolant change was $560 on both of our K1300S bikes.
I'm guessing a valve adjustment would add $100 to $200 since the cams need to be removed.

When having the valves checked it's best to change the plugs and coolant while things are opened up.

My interview would go like this...

ME: Did you build this to satisfy a demand?
BMW: No.

ME: Then why?
BMW: Because we can and we wanted to.

Two years and done on this model. I don't see Moto Guzzis flying off the dealer's floor at 20 grand....I'm certain this won't fly at at 30. see what I did there? flying= Flying Fortress...:wave

Actually, Voni and I plan on riding cross country, or at least touring, on G310s. Why not. I can't say cross-country for sure because I almost never wander east of the Mississippi for aversion to congestion reasons.

We look forward to seeing you both on your "west of the Mississippi" tour. :thumb

Further, the G310 at the Vancouver bike show was a very popular bike and I think the GS version will be even more so. The G310 is competitively priced as compared to the Ninja 300, CBR300, Yamaha R3, et al.

Lastly, I didn't think the original K1600GT would sell as well as it does. I like the look of the new Bagger. Could be a surprise hit. One thing we should all learn over a medium-to-long life...there's no accounting for taste. :dunno

This is just a guess, but I think BMW will sell a bunch of these things. Last time I looked at sales figures, cruiser sales were about half of all motorcycles sold. In that group of cruiser buyers there are probably quite a few who want more performance.

And the thing is attractive, in a funny sort of way.

Last edited:
I like the looks of it pretty well. Its a good compromise for my touring style some weather protection, without riding behind a barn door wind screen, and no trunk. Id have to try the seating position, I like the uprightness of my R and if its close to that could be ok for me. The Honda goldwing engine in the F6b is tough competition though, but with it comes no MOA, that would be a bummer.

BMW is no doubt very happy with the reaction on the forum to the Bagger. :clap

Their 2020 goal for the US is to double their market share. They won't do that by selling just to their traditional customer base, which now includes three models of S 1000 series bikes. They aren't the traditional BMW MOA type of bike but have done much to expand BMW's US and world market share.

At launch they describe it as the first of a series of bikes designed for the US market. Instead of cannibalizing their existing base this is their first take on how to expand their base. It has been reasonably received in the cruiser press. Time will tell if it sells or is a bust.

They will continue to build bikes we are accustomed to and ...

Good on BMW for trying something new.

Agreed. I have to remember that most people were scratching their heads when BMW brought out the original GS bikes. I think we all know how that turned out. BMW doesn't seem to be afraid to take chances on new designs, probably one of their better traits. I think also of the brick engine, ABS on motorcycles, even the revolutionary, small, (somewhat) six cylinder engine in this new model when it first came out, to name a just a few "unusual" design ideas from them. At this point I'm not too surprised by anything they debut. Besides which, it all seems to run well, and have a certain class about it. I'll bet this model is a lot nicer than a Street Glide, in every way.

I have no dog in the hunt because unless they make a 1600S or RS, no interest.Have ridden a GT and yes, a solid performer and capable of mile eating...just did not ring my bell.
Not for everyone, but for someone if they decided to build and market it. I bet the focus groups in Germany said it grabbed them.

I think folks will be surprised at the performance of the 310 series. Having a KTM baby Duke with the same general specs has changed my views of the little engine that can. With the demise of the G650, will not be long until the same engine design of the 310 reemerges as a 600cc version also like the KTM 690. My WAG is this is why they did away with an old tried and true model.

Maybe the folks who loved their Victories will check out BMW?

My brother falls in that group, and his buds have mentioned it

Back