• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OK, who knows Motorsports?

That looks to be correct for the '78.
Kick was an option, though a bit uncommon on the Motorsports. Check your rear brake line. Should be blue cloth covered, if still original.
UncommonR100RS in front of purple house.jpg for them to have 40mm heads. In '78 the "Rennspot Polizei" was the only paint scheme/model where all came thru with 40s. In '77, all came thru with 40mm. iirc.

So how do you verify it...?

Thanks to all who have contributed to the topic.

My brother owns a 1978 R100RS gold metallic. European version 40mm heather pipes. Has first aid kit in the front seat. Rear disk break with blue colored brake line.

When one verfies the vin numbers over on www.realoem.com the site gives Model, Market (US or Europe) and Month/Year of production. However it does not give any info on color. To my knowledge the only difference of the '78 R100RS compared to the Motorsport is the color scheme, plus blue seat cover, and white bags. How do you know if it's not an "custom paint job"... ?

I am told that for a fee BMW Munich issues a "certificate of authenticity" say if an R100RS is an R100RS or a R90S is indeed one or if it is a "fake" one.

My question to all of you is: Does anyone of you have such a "certificate of authenticity" and does it indicate the original color on that certificate?

Thanks to all who have contributed to the topic.

My brother owns a 1978 R100RS gold metallic. European version 40mm heather pipes. Has first aid kit in the front seat. Rear disk break with blue colored brake line.

When one verfies the vin numbers over on www.realoem.com the site gives Model, Market (US or Europe) and Month/Year of production. However it does not give any info on color. To my knowledge the only difference of the '78 R100RS compared to the Motorsport is the color scheme, plus blue seat cover, and white bags. How do you know if it's not an "custom paint job"... ?

I am told that for a fee BMW Munich issues a "certificate of authenticity" say if an R100RS is an R100RS or a R90S is indeed one or if it is a "fake" one.

My question to all of you is: Does anyone of you have such a "certificate of authenticity" and does it indicate the original color on that certificate?

There was a website a few years ago that was dedicated to the Motorsport, both the RS and S models. You could register your bike, the site would verify that it was a Motorsport, and list that bike. I am no longer able to find the site, so I can only assume that it is not active. Maybe someone else knows. By the way, I bought my now sold Motorsport in Lubbock. Close to you?

Wayne

I've got a few

Folks - I have one of these bikes (I love it!!!!) I would like to touch up a bit of the paint. I notice all the color discussions, however, where can I order small quantities? Any help would be most welcome. Mark

Also, I am looking for a 3/4 seat if anyone has one to sell.. Any condition, I can always repair it!!

Thanks again.

Hi Mark, I have a red, blue, two golds and some other color stored in my shed. All is great shape except for one and I have a new cover for it but haven't put it on yet. I might be willing to part with one but I won't be back in Texas until August or so. Maybe we can talk then.

Last edited:
I did some more research on the Motorsport. Among others BMW books I have Ian Faloon’s: The BMW Boxer Twins Bible, Air-cooled models 1970-1996 http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/gear-reviews/the-bmw-boxer-twins-bible.aspx

On page 72 it states:

“No official data exists for the number of Motorsport models produced, but they were available in both US and non-US series. S R100S Motorsports were around numbers 6163000-6163870 and non-US 6067500-6067700. The R100RS Motorsport numbers were from around 6183000-6183592 for US and 608800-6092865 for non-US specification.”

That is all I found. I have no idea where Falloon, author of several BMW Motorcycle books, based his numbers. But at the least here they are and they seem credible to me. Interestingly Bill Stermer’s BMW R100RS book writes about the Motorsport but gives no indications about the Motorsport numbers. (Or at least I could not find them...)

As asked in my previous post in this thread, if anyone of you has requested a BMW Certificate by BMW Munich I would be interested to know, if that certificate states the color of the model or not?

I'm new to the forum and have a '78 R100RS Motorsport with 17,690 original miles. Didn't even get the wheel recall. It's a one owner bike that was last registered in 1987. It was mothballed in '92 until I purchased it December '15. It's all original except the Koni shocks and the black seat. The original seat should be blue and I have a blue seat cover on order from bmw2valve. I have the original seat pan with the first aid kit storage space in the front but the original owner had a Russell day saddle swapped. :banghead When I get the correct seat cover I plan on shipping it to Sargent to have them swap back to original. The vin# is 6183498. I've followed this thread and would be more than happy to share thoughts and ideas (and take close up pics of my bike if it's any help) if you're looking for specific info. Here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

• DSC05388a.jpg
    DSC05388a.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC05387a.jpg
    DSC05387a.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC05385a.jpg
    DSC05385a.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Thank you, Sir. I see by your avatar you either have or had one yourself. I could not believe the good opportunity that came my way to assume ownership/stewardship of this flagship bike!

Thank you, Sir. I see by your avatar you either have or had one yourself. I could not believe the good opportunity that came my way to assume ownership/stewardship of this flagship bike!

I let my also low mileage Motorsport go a few years ago. It was nice, but yours looks more original. Mine had extensive modifications done by San Jose BMW in the mid 80s.

There was a website a few years ago that was dedicated to the Motorsport, both the RS and S models. You could register your bike, the site would verify that it was a Motorsport, and list that bike. I am no longer able to find the site, so I can only assume that it is not active. Maybe someone else knows. By the way, I bought my now sold Motorsport in Lubbock. Close to you?

Wayne

If you know the name of the former site then you can search for it's history in the WayBackMachine here: http://www.waybackmachine.org

just picked up a R100S Motorsport

Happy to join this discussion now. I just picked up a very original 78 R100S Motorsport European model Serial # 606...besides the custom windshield (owner is still searching for original shield), (and maybe battery covers, for some reason they don't have any badging) all seems original. Has blue brake fluid line from rear reservoir to cylinder (line to caliber has been changed). Blue seat. 38mm headers.
Happy to get some feed back SDC10312.jpgSDC10313.jpg

Didn't even get the wheel recall.

Technically, you might still be able to get the wheel replaced. It gets a little tricky once a bike changes hands, but it is my understanding that if a dealer searches the database and finds that no wheel recall has been applied to your VIN, then it has a chance of getting done. There have been discussions all over the map on this and in some situations a dealer (who might not have wanted to get involved) doesn't find your name as the person the bike was sold to, then they have been known to say they can't/won't do the exchange. But it's worth a check. I can't recall if one of these recalled rims was ever found cracked, but the potential is there.

Happy to get some feed back

How many miles on your S?

I know the S Motorsport existed but it was not advertised like the RS here in the states. Ian Falloon substantiates the existence of the R100S Motorsport in his R90S book and said sometimes it was referred to as the R100SRS. I don't think it was sold in America because according to Falloon "These featured the 70 HP R100RS engine, but with a smaller S handlebar fairing. The colors were identical to the similar R100RS Motorsport, and equipment extended to single and dual seats, engine protection bars, and a kilometer per hour speedometer." I also remember reading that BMW's were a tough sell back in those days and some dealerships made modifications (mostly colors) to R100S's and sold them as limited editions or "LE". They were not factory authorized. The R100S didn't have the same following as the R90S which is a shame really because it's a superior bike to the R90S in every way through refinement. I'm sure good deals can be had on R100S's.

The R100RS Motorsports were not tracked from the factory with specific engine/frame #'s which is very unfortunate and hard to believe really so unless I can somehow get verification that mine is truly a Motorsport... ya'll just have to believe me! :scratch

Last edited:
it has 19k miles, the serial number fits into the range as mentioned in the Falloon book. It also states 70HP on the title. Either way, it is a beautiful bike and I will post some good pictures after the complete cleanup

I can relate to the complete cleanup...

Attachments

• Motorsport 2a.jpg
    Motorsport 2a.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC05407a.jpg
    DSC05407a.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Motorsport 1a.jpg
    Motorsport 1a.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 141
it has 19k miles

Sounds like yours sat for quite some time like mine did. I just resurrected it after purchase from the original owner who had it stationary for almost 30 years. Last time it was registered was '87. I'm fortunate to have a copy of the original title and have the original bill of sale from '79. Do you have any original documentation?

I bet you can sell that seat, or not. They did the same to my old Motorsport, tried to turn it into an RT. The good thing was the original seat looked like new.

The nice thing about the blue Russell day long seat is it's mounted on the original pan. I have a blue cover and foam on order at bmw2valve. When it comes in, I plan on replacing the Russell and then I'll have 2 seats, one black, one original blue with original pan. The black seat is not original pan but period correct. I have two sets of body work for the R90S and the S/S cowl doesn't have a cover and pan... voilà. :thumb

Attachments

• photo (280)a.jpg
    photo (280)a.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 135
Sounds like yours sat for quite some time like mine did. I just resurrected it after purchase from the original owner who had it stationary for almost 30 years. Last time it was registered was '87. I'm fortunate to have a copy of the original title and have the original bill of sale from '79. Do you have any original documentation?

it actually was not that bad, owner took good care of it, just did some polishing and waxing. He was aging so didn't ride it anymore for the last 7-8 years. Yes I have the original sales papers, tools, hand books, the cable lock under the tank etc. Will do valves, carbs, all the fluids, tank cleaning etc.in the next couple weeks. Goal is to ride to the www.ridingintohistory.org event end of May in St. Augustine

Back