• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where's This?

SFDOC said:
This isn't that hard. Where am I? (Yes, it's N. America) and I'll accept general locations.

44599326-M.jpg
Yellowstone had a bad fire; this is Mt. St. Helens!

Is that off of Windy Ridge?

DarrylRi said:
Yellowstone had a bad fire; this is Mt. St. Helens!

Is that off of Windy Ridge?

Yes, it's Ryan Lake, 5-miles North and two ridge-lines away from the Mountain on NF-26 road. 572-Degrees and 300-MPH winds swept through here. Three people died.

I was gonna say it south of this Mountain. But, any way Good job Darryl.

44604995-M.jpg

Alright, enough jet-setting. Here's a biker destination spot in the USA.

Now, before you complain, I want you to know that I've carefully cropped this photo, both so that it won't be too big, and also that it captures the salient features necessary to identify the location.

I think that if you look carefully and pay attention to detail, you will find that this photo could really only come from one a couple or three locations in the US. If you go with your gut feeling, I'm sure you'll nail it.

P1010041crop.jpg

PS: A few minutes later, her boyfriend got on the back and they rode off. They both had helmets, as required by law.

DarrylRi said:

Now, before you complain, I want you to know that I've carefully cropped this photo, both so that it won't be too big, and also that it captures the salient features necessary to identify the location.

I think that if you look carefully and pay attention to detail, you will find that this photo could really only come from one a couple or three locations in the US. If you go with your gut feeling, I'm sure you'll nail it.

P1010041crop.jpg

PS: A few minutes later, her boyfriend got on the back and they rode off. They both had helmets, as required by law.

I'd get on the back of that.
New Cuyama, CA

SFDOC said:
Any body want to guess the name of this Mountain and which lake I'm taking the picture over?

44604995-L.jpg

Mt. Bachelor, Lake Billy Chinook? Looks more like Hood though... and I forget what lakes are around there.

Disclaimer: I could totally be high.. it's been years since I've been there, and it's 4-something am or 5-something am here

Last edited:
DarrylRi said:
P1010041crop.jpg

Ass-oooooming that she is 18, this isn't Laconia, Sturgis or Daytona.

New Cuyama is a good guess, but man, wouldn't that outfit be a little rough out in the high desert?

There are some trees reflected in the cruiser's mirrors that look sorta like the area I'm thinkin.... and she's on a sport bike.

I'm gonna guess Mid-Ohio.

Ian

Burnszilla said:
I'd get on the back of that.
New Cuyama, CA
Not with that lime yellow 'stich of yours, you won't! ;-)

Consider the fashion sense that goes into selecting a halter top and OP shorts (well, I don't really know that they're OP) combined with leather chaps... on a sport bike.

One thing it says to me, is, Hey, I'm close to home!

DarrylRi said:
Give me a hint!

Passo Maniva is one of a series of passes that lies between Passo di Croce Domini and the town of Anfo on Lago d'Idro. Most of it is gravel. Normally, you'd take the road through Bagolino to Breno over Passo di Croce Domini which is all paved, but you can T off at the top and swing back to Anfo.

Map of Passo di Croce Domini

And what the road between Passo di Croce Domini and Anfo looks like...
0013.jpg

0014.jpg

DarrylRi said:
Hmmm, I wonder if my friend in Trento even knows about this road... because just this summer he directed me over Passo Manghen (going the other way). Is the Kaiserjaegderweg the little SP133 I see on my map? Looks very enticing!

I'm sure he does.

Well only the first few clicks are the SP133. You then turn left onto a very narrow twisty road that heads south and intersects the SS 349 just west of Passo di Vezzena. Map

And the Kaiserjaegerweg road looks like...

Attachments

• P6170058.JPG
    P6170058.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 70
DarrylRi said:
On top of that, there are nice little hotels that actually cater to the motorcycle crowd.

Darryl, do you know about these maps and the hotel list that caters to motorcyclists. I posted it on ADVrider.

ADAC Motorradtouren Maps & Hotel List

DarrylRi said:
Cafe racing? Simply go from pass to pass, and have a capuccino (mornings) or espresso (afternoons) on each one.

Would you ever be wired. North American coffee (aka water) is quite different from European coffee (aka high test). When my girlfriend first came over from Italy, she commented on our coffee being like water. I can't drink coffee so I've downgraded to Grappa.

GlobalRider said:
Darryl, do you know about these maps and the hotel list that caters to motorcyclists. I posted it on ADVrider.

ADAC Motorradtouren Maps & Hotel List
No, but I'll surely look into it, along with your other map pointers.
Would you ever be wired.
Not me. I drink 4-5 cups a day. I have an italian "superautomatic" maker and buy italian roast coffee. I am fully addicted, no question.

North American coffee (aka water) is quite different from European coffee (aka high test). When my girlfriend first came over from Italy, she commented on our coffee being like water.
The Euros tell a joke that Americans have 2 kinds of water: one is warm and brown, the other is cold and yellow. (It takes a while for news of the latest fashions here to get across the pond; they still think we have a 55mph national speed limit, and they will think that the only beer available is Miller/Coors/Bud Lite for a long time to come.)

I can't drink coffee so I've downgraded to Grappa.
I wonder how you manage to sync your wobbles with the curves as you "come down" from a passo after a couple grappas... ;-)

Belg said:
Mt. Bachelor, Lake Billy Chinook? Looks more like Hood though... and I forget what lakes are around there.

Disclaimer: I could totally be high.. it's been years since I've been there, and it's 4-something am or 5-something am here

NOPE on all accounts, but you are in the right 'Range'. You are totally low.

Maybe around 9 or 10 you'd like to try again. :nyah

DarrylRi said:

P1010041crop.jpg

I'm gonna say Miami/South Beach, and she's (boyfriend too) are under 21 and required by law to wear a helmet.

SFDOC said:
NOPE on all accounts, but you are in the right 'Range'. You are totally low.

Maybe around 9 or 10 you'd like to try again. :nyah

Make that 2 or 3... I work late this week.... pick up coffee in 15 minutes.

SFDOC said:
BUMP

Inquiring minds want to know?

Where's that chic-a-dees OP shorts at?
Ooops, sorry about that. Yes... ahem, well, somewhere close to home, somewhere to go to, somewhere to be seen. Somewhere that the cruisers and the sport bikes have to park close together, because the parking lot isn't too big, and yet it's a good draw for both of them. Somewhere where the weather's fine, somewhere with a helmet law.

Back