• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where's This?

Visian said:
OK, changing my guess here... it's in front of Alice's.

Ian

So, Ian says it's in front of Alice's and I agree, now after seeing the Bay Area Lunchen?

Is this correct and if so Ian V get's the credit.

SFDOC said:
So, Ian says it's in front of Alice's and I agree, now after seeing the Bay Area Lunchen?

Is this correct and if so Ian V get's the credit.
Oh, I saw Ian's guess, and it's a good one; but the area directly around Alice's is not flat as in the picture, and the area across the street is big enough that generally the cruisers and the sport bikes don't intermingle that much.

But you're on the right track!

SFDOC said:
I'm "CLUELESS" :dunno
Also, that's simply not the attire one generally sees at Alice's. But dood!... there's another biker spot... to the south... A place where this is a natural.

DarrylRi said:
What a gorgeous picture. Isn't that the old St. Gotthard road?

Bingo! The best of the three across/through that pass. Unfortunately, it isn't always open. As they say, timing is everything.

OK Darryl, you're on a roll, who is that standing next to me in the picture? The answer is closer than you think...and no peeking!

0205.jpg

DarrylRi said:
Also, that's simply not the attire one generally sees at Alice's. But dood!... there's another biker spot... to the south... A place where this is a natural.

Are you talking Apple Jacks or the Rock Store Cafe?

GlobalRider said:
Bingo! The best of the three across/through that pass. Unfortunately, it isn't always open. As they say, timing is everything.

OK Darryl, you're on a roll, who is that standing next to me in the picture? The answer is closer than you think...and no peeking!

0205.jpg
That's waaaayyy too easy. Why, it's the King of the Alps, John Hermann. I met him, I think it was on the Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse (regardless of its name, it's not that high up), one day. I was with some friends having lunch in a restaurant when this old guy practically bursts through the front door and bellows "OK, WHO'S THE GUY FROM CALIFORNIA!" through the whole place. This did not make me feel like volunteering up my position, but... He had seen the plate on my R1100RS out in the parking lot. At the RA Red River Rally, in New Mexico, John gave a slide show and it turned out I was in it.

DarrylRi said:

Like Doood, you didn't say 400-miles south!!! :ha3

:nyah

Thanks Burnszilla the longest running question is over. :rocker

MarkF said:
That looks like a Rail Trail. Used to get the magazine. But, I did not know they were moto-legal.

Yes, it is a rail trail, but where is it? I didn't see any sign saying I couldn't cross it, but I didn't look very hard for one either. :brow

Yup, sounds about right.

DarrylRi said:
I was with some friends having lunch in a restaurant when this old guy practically bursts through the front door and bellows "OK, WHO'S THE GUY FROM CALIFORNIA!" through the whole place.

Yup, sounds about right.

That pic was taken atop the Ofenpass in 2002. As I got off my bike, some old guy comes up from behind me and says along the lines, "where are you from". I recognized him on the spot, even though the pic in his book is waaaay outdated. I said, "I'm from Canada and you're John Hermann". Probably caught him by surprise.

Us Aerostich riders are a dead give away when in Europe. I was just talking to one of my German friends and he mentioned he took a short ride out to Johannes Kreutz (well known MC hangout) where he saw a bunch of riders on an Edelweiss tour; some wearing an Aerostich suit. He knew they were American.

Talking about motorcycle meeting points, have you ever been up to Cafe Hubraum (Cafe Displacement) in Solingen?

Buzzez said:
Yes, it is a rail trail, but where is it? I didn't see any sign saying I couldn't cross it, but I didn't look very hard for one either. :brow
It's easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

SFDOC said:
Like Doood, you didn't say 400-miles south!!! :ha
Of course I didn't, that would be giving it away. But you seemed pretty stuck at Alice's -- NTTAWT -- even though I said neither parking area fit.

I guess my Val Dood accent needs some brushing up.

GlobalRider said:
Talking about motorcycle meeting points, have you ever been up to Cafe Hubraum (Cafe Displacement) in Solingen?
Nope, can't say that I have. Usually when I'm in that area, it's because I'm going somewhere else. I didn't even realize that there were any particularly nice spots to ride there. The Eifel, to the west, has gotten more of my attention...

state State?

DarrylRi said:
What a gorgeous picture. Isn't that the old St. Gotthard road?

Ok..I'm getting so confused & lost on here...my friend (a 3rd generation Harley guy) and I were checking this out on Thanksgiving and I was showing him how cool everyone on here is and all that and we're trying to figure out which replies go with which photos. A lot of us a newbies and haven't been all over the world and might like to check out some of these destinations in person (y'all have some awesome photos). Everyone seems to know exactly what you're talking about & what Lat & Long but I dont even know what state you're talking about sometimes! FOr instance... where on Earth is old St. Gotthard road??

Back