• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where's This?

GlobalRider said:
Passo Maniva is one of a series of passes that lies between Passo di Croce Domini and the town of Anfo on Lago d'Idro. Most of it is gravel. Normally, you'd take the road through Bagolino to Breno over Passo di Croce Domini which is all paved, but you can T off at the top and swing back to Anfo.

Map of Passo di Croce Domini

And what the road between Passo di Croce Domini and Anfo looks like...
0013.jpg

0014.jpg

I'm sure he does.

Well only the first few clicks are the SP133. You then turn left onto a very narrow twisty road that heads south and intersects the SS 349 just west of Passo di Vezzena. Map

And the Kaiserjaegerweg road looks like...

I know I'm dumb and I dont have GPS... but like which part of the planet IS this?? It looks awesome!

mcclimans84rt said:
I dont have GPS... but like which part of the planet IS this?? It looks awesome!

Northern Italy, between the town of Anfo on Lago d'Idro and the town of Breno.

PS. A GPS will never find you the good roads, but a good map will.

mcclimans84rt said:
For instance... where on Earth is old St. Gotthard road??

Southern Switzerland, NW of Bellinzona.

There are 3 roads through there...the autostrada (like your interstates) through the mountain, the road over the mountain that is twisty and offers great views but still allows you to make good time and the old St. Gotthard road that is mostly cobblestone, a lot twistier and especially meant for motorcycles. ;)

Hey, there is also this road if the others aren't tight enough for you...
0116.jpg

"Northern Italy, between the town of Anfo on Lago d'Idro and the town of Breno.

PS. A GPS will never find you the good roads, but a good map will."

Ahh...very interesting! I guess we dont HAVE to have gps to enjoy riding! :clap
Thanks...(I just hope we didnt spoil the game here & give the answers too soon!)

GlobalRider said:
Southern Switzerland, NW of Bellinzona.

There are 3 roads through there...the autostrada (like your interstates) through the mountain, the road over the mountain that is twisty and offers great views but still allows you to make good time and the old St. Gotthard road that is mostly cobblestone, a lot twistier and especially meant for motorcycles. ;)

Hey, there is also this road if the others aren't tight enough for you...
0116.jpg

OMG...that is just Phenomenal...I'm going to have to start planning an over seas ride soon. WoW...spectacular! Thanks for sharing the stunning photos!~

mcclimans84rt said:
OMG...that is just Phenomenal...I'm going to have to start planning an over seas ride soon. WoW...spectacular! Thanks for sharing the stunning photos!~

Well you better start planning a "solo" ride instead of an "organizied tour" ride. Organized tours tend to take you on easier-to-ride roads aimed at the average North American rider used to our typical roads. You'll have to track down the really out-of-the-way back roads and ride on your own. IMO a "solo" tour is the best way to go if that kind of riding is what you are after and its a lot cheaper to boot.

I wouldn't look at renting a HD, a cruiser or a touring rig. Too heavy and their steering geometry doesn't lend itself well to the tight twisties.

Traveling with 20 Friends is an Alps tour article in the December '05 issue of the Owner's News with nice photography. As is always my complaint of all magazines, the photos could have been labelled a bit more for the readers. Below: Bike swapping was common. Great, but where was that photo taken?

Boy, did that group have their share of minor mishaps though.

An enjoyable read and the photography will sure help me get through till next summer's ride. Have a look at it and start dreamin'.

"Traveling with 20 Friends is an Alps tour article in the December '05 issue of the Owner's News with nice photography. As is always my complaint of all magazines, the photos could have been labelled a bit more for the readers..."

Well, I'll have something to look forward to as my copy must still be in transit.
:dunno

Brrrr.

Just got back from a long trip, wherein my sweetheart took this photo. I'm sure several folks know where this is: (no fair checking the properties...)

hint: rainforest + glacier

46246812-L.jpg

nospamsatx said:
Just got back from a long trip, wherein my sweetheart took this photo. I'm sure several folks know where this is: (no fair checking the properties...)

hint: rainforest + glacier

46246812-L.jpg
Fox glacier on the west coast of the southern island of New Zealand. Hope you had a great time!

that didn't take long

Yes indeed. Ride report coming soon. Plans for how to live there still in progress. :dance

......My dream is to ...RIDE..Out of the USA!!.....but where is this???

Attachments

• hills 2.jpg
    hills 2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 76
B2BWYLD said:
......My dream is to ...RIDE..Out of the USA!!.....but where is this???

Hmmm. Is that Vasquez' Rocks out by Agua Dulce, CA, just off of CA-14 on the way to Lancaster? I haven't been there in a while and that looks too green, but with the past winter...

nospamsatx said:
that didn't take long
Yes indeed. Ride report coming soon. Plans for how to live there still in progress. :dance
NZ is a great place to go riding! Wonderful people, too. I would love to go back.

Where's This? ....another clue

....in California....this is about a mile from the first photo....

Attachments

• alabama.jpg
    alabama.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 66
B2BWYLD said:
....in California....this is about a mile from the first photo....

HA, I got ya to give up the State. OK this looks like an area near El Cajon / East San Diego.

Close or farther north?

Where's This? ....another clue .......

.......farther north........395.....that-a-way....... .....

Attachments

• Rocks.jpg
    Rocks.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 165
Buzzez said:
Where is this? No fair peeking.

9515538-M.jpg
This looks like a piece of the trail in PA over the Allegheny River.. I tried to walk across it before they put the "trail" down, and being scared of heights I scared the crap out of myself...

Back