• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wheel Balancing

bobs_one

So, I've decided to start doing my own tire replacements and balancing. I've been doing them for years on dirt bikes, so I figure it can't be much different on the bigger bikes. ;) I managed to scoop up a used No Mar machine, so I think I'm really well prepared now - except ...

I have a balancing/truing stand that I use for the dirt bikes and which is big enough for the BMW wheels. I think (haven't tried yet) that the mounting cones on the balancer will work fine on the front wheels, but I think I need some kind of adapter for the rear wheel? Would it be the same adapter for my 2014 RT and for my 2017 GSA (spoked wheels)?

I looked at the Marc Parnes website. Is his BA12 the right adapter? Are there other choices/sources?

Hello,
Yes, the BA12 is the correct rear wheel adaptor for both bikes you asked about.

I have the No-Mar balancer with plastic cones, stand and all the adaptors and find it not as usable/consistent as the Marc Parnes setup.

If you plan to UP your involvement by doing all your tire changes yourself with the No-Mar, I'd highly recommend getting the correct setup from Marc Parnes.

This is the kit (BG12) I started with and have added some other rear wheel adaptors for R1100 and K1600 over the years.
369C0E77-1B74-4EA2-B241-BF89F420428A_4_5005_c-M.jpg

Wheel Balancing Beads...

I had my tires replaced this past summer before a long ride. They talked me into using Balancing Beads instead of the usual weights. That was the smoothest 1,800 mile trip! I've been extremely pleased. That is just a thought.....

Jon
2016 R1200RT

I had my tires replaced this past summer before a long ride. They talked me into using Balancing Beads instead of the usual weights. That was the smoothest 1,800 mile trip! I've been extremely pleased. That is just a thought.....

Jon
2016 R1200RT

Can you share which particular brand of beads you used?

I've had the Marc Parnes setup for a year now and have used it for four sets of tires so far and it's been great

Jon
2016 R1200RT

I had beads in a tire once - a long story as to why - and they helped an unbalanced tire until we were at the finish of the Iron But Rally, parked for a couple of days of triple digit temperatures. The combination of rubber dust and clumped together beads caused the worst imbalance situation for a couple of days until the clump broke apart and we reached cooler temperatures. My experience is they sort of work most of the time.

Back