• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150GS wheel removal

simonak3000

Hi.
During the winter months, I need to remove (one at a time) both my front wheel (for adjustement) and my rear wheel (for paralever bearing change). When its on the centerstand, the bike is very close to equilibrium, but rests on the rear wheel. How do I make sure that my bike wont tip over, especially when im taking off the front wheel? is there a trick you use to put some weight on the front or the rear depending on the job? I was thinking of making a support wooden support stand for the front and maybe put some sandbags on it.

2003 BMW R1150GS

A couple straps could be used (at decent angles, if possible) to hold the bike to the stand in a "balanced" position. I've done this before, but you do have to be careful. It's balanced up there, but not SUPER stable. It will rock a bit since the bracing is only to the stand itself, which has a pretty small footprint.

A second option is to install a couple ropes run from front and rear of bike going up to the ceiling... IF you can find a stud to hold a little weight. Keep in mind you don't have to hold the entire weight of the bike... You just need to keep it at the balance point, so maybe 30-40 pounds just to keep the bike from wanting to tip past the point of no return.

I also did this once, when fitting two new tires. I used the straps on my garage door upper hardware. I said once, because it made me very nervous during the entire time.

I like to run a strap through the centerstand and over one of the jugs or the exhaust cross over to prevent the centerstand from folding back if the bike tips forward. You don't want it to go far enough forward that it folds back and the whole thing winds up on the ground. Or on top of you.

Cheap insurance.

A second option is to install a couple ropes run from front and rear of bike going up to the ceiling...

I have a winch attached to the rafters; used it to lift the bike when I installed a new front shock. I'm sure it would work if removing both wheels at once. I usually do one wheel at a time - remove front wheel only, install new tire, etc. Then replace front wheel before removing rear. Note: secure center stand to prevent it from folding.

I like to run a strap through the centerstand and over one of the jugs or the exhaust cross over to prevent the centerstand from folding back if the bike tips forward. You don't want it to go far enough forward that it folds back and the whole thing winds up on the ground. Or on top of you.

Cheap insurance.

Correct you are.

Hi.
During the winter months, I need to remove (one at a time) both my front wheel (for adjustement) and my rear wheel (for paralever bearing change). When its on the centerstand, the bike is very close to equilibrium, but rests on the rear wheel. How do I make sure that my bike wont tip over, especially when im taking off the front wheel?

My RT balances the same way - equal when on the c-stand. The weight of the wheel removed is enough to make the bike rest on the remaining wheel end. You take off the front wheel and the weight is gone, so the bike tips back and sits on the rear. If you are really nervous about it, put something heavy 10-20 pounds, on the rear seat or rack or in the bags. I change front tires several times each year just leave the saddlebags mounted and never had any concern. Same thing happens when the rear wheel is removed. Bags are off, and the bike already sits on the front tire. Wheel comes off and it's planted on the front.

Cheap insurance.

:thumb

Simple and effective.

Back