• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT K26/0440 April 2011 build: Wonder Wheel Multi-Controller Debug

RideNMyRT

I'm trying to debug a Wonder Wheel issue on 2011 R1200RT with Audio and NavVI. The Audio computer is unresponsive to the right click and the NavVI doesn't respond to the wheel.

More specifically, the computer does not respond to pushing the Wonder wheel laterally towards the center of the bike. This is the "b" position referenced in the manuals. All else works fine and I can get everything working except the right click and NavVI doesn't respond to wheel for zooming in and out. I can't reset Bluetooth pairing and is a bit of a pain to only be able to click back through play lists and radio stations.

I bought this bike used and as-is knowing there were issues here. Otherwise it is a great bike. And, I don't really need it. Siri and my helmet audio takes care of music, coms, & Nav. But, I get two satisfactions out of bikes one is riding and the other is debugging, repairing, improving, etc.

So, here is what I have done so far.

Removed and examined wiring from wheel to plug at audio controller. No issues
Validated all harness connections with shop manual specs. No issues.
Unseated and reseated wiring harness connections for audio and nav. No Change
Tested with a new wheel. No Change.
Unwrapped wiring harness tape from Audio controller to main stem to look for issues. A couple of kinks that were suspicious.
Tested with a used but equivalent Audio/Nav Wiring Harness wiring harness. No change.

Any experience or ideas a next step are appreciated? All I can think of is that somehow it does not have the correct software configuration. So, I'm thinking a dealer software eval is next step. Audio system data are not supported by my GS-911 for this model year.

Thanks in advance for your help.

On the 2010-2013 RT’s, the wheel only controls the radio.
2013 and up GS and RT models use the wheel to control the dash and gps display.

Last edited:
Thanks beemerchuck. That's good to know. I spoke with the service manager at local dealer and he pointed me to the controller unit. Said the only case he encountered similar resolved that way. In hindsight that is logical as it is the first circuit branch between the wheel and the harness. I assumed the firmware for processing the clicks was in the main radio unit and the controller was a pass thru but in the evolution of the technology the pre-wheel controller must have had buttons for the wheel functions. Anyway, I sourced a used equivalent at a reasonable price and will report the result.

Anyone know of a good info source for details and debugging BMW electrical?

Back