• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sena 20S Motorcycle Bluetooth Communication System

Great review, thanks very much. Just one addition, if you change out the microphone on the newest units it's not just a press in plug, as on your unit. Now you have to turn a small collar surrounding the plug, before the old mike will come off. After installing the new mike, turn the collar the other way to secure it.

It's not in the literature and I almost broke mine, trying to get it off, before I saw the small collar. Twist it a bit and the plug will pull right out.

Thanks This is good to know. I am still using these same units, so have not seen any newer ones. Sena now has some newer models out, so I am not sure where the 20S sits in their range these days.

... Sena now has some newer models out, so I am not sure where the 20S sits in their range these days.
It is still at the top of their food chain until the new 30K is released along with the 10C Evo in 3-4 months (Spring of 2017).

Now that Schuberth has switched over to using Sena for communications going forward (Schuberth SC1 - Spring 2017), I suspect that BMW will follow suit and hopefully we will see even greater integration between the Sena gear and newer BMW bikes, like having access through the wonder-wheel.

My riding buddy, Vern, and I have 20s Sena setup and use them daily. This is almost the perfect setup! I am hoping that on firmware version 1.7.1 they will add a new filter. I call it the "bad singer" filter. If any of you ever heard Vern sing you would know what I mean.

Ron

Finally got the order of Pairing to enable all features

Have followed the regular pairing and the universal pairing with no success. Am looking for someone that has successfully completed this.

After quite a bit of experimenting, I got everything working. Unfortunately, I did not document it, so now I have to do it again and do so...
I now have a Sena Prism and love it. While I have it Bluetoothed to the 20S can I still use the 20S to communicate with another 20S?

I had the old original Sena 10s and when they finally died, I got the 20s. That is the ONLY thing that has changed, and here are my set up and my results with the new 20s

Garmin Zumo 665 with XM radio
iPhone 6

I pair the Zumo to the phone as phone.
I pair the Zumo to the Sena 20s (was 10s prior) to the media.

With the old 10s I could listen to my XM radio (or MP3), if the phone rang it would ring on the Sena, show up on the Zumo (caller ID), and I would tap the Zumo to accept or decline the call. No problem.

Now with the Sena 20s, I paired it exactly how they instruct, but when I get a phone call, I answer it as I did with the 10s (tap the Zumo) and I can talk for about 10 seconds before the call drops. The party on the other end told me that they suddenly hear music (my XM radio). I can make a call and the call not drop, but it is annoying that any incoming calls gets dropped.

I have called, emailed over 25 times, Sena sent me two different 20s units (the same problem was happening when I tried my wife's 20s). Even with new 20s units, I still have the same problem. I'm thinking it won't work as they claim and I may have to go back to the 10s.

Exact same problem I am experiencing. Sena has been no help. BMW dealer has bent over backward to help me with trying to come up with a solution. So, just living with it for now...I keep hoping for an update that will correct it.

hojoinsc: like you, my BMW dealer swapped out my 20S with a different unit and it does the same thing. Pair the phone directly to the 20S and it works just fine. It appears the issue is with the 20S pairing with the Garmin. I don't get why outgoing calls work fine but incoming calls drop. Frustrating.

I had the old original Sena 10s and when they finally died, I got the 20s. That is the ONLY thing that has changed, and here are my set up and my results with the new 20s

Garmin Zumo 665 with XM radio
iPhone 6

I pair the Zumo to the phone as phone.
I pair the Zumo to the Sena 20s (was 10s prior) to the media.

With the old 10s I could listen to my XM radio (or MP3), if the phone rang it would ring on the Sena, show up on the Zumo (caller ID), and I would tap the Zumo to accept or decline the call. No problem.

Now with the Sena 20s, I paired it exactly how they instruct, but when I get a phone call, I answer it as I did with the 10s (tap the Zumo) and I can talk for about 10 seconds before the call drops. The party on the other end told me that they suddenly hear music (my XM radio). I can make a call and the call not drop, but it is annoying that any incoming calls gets dropped.

I have called, emailed over 25 times, Sena sent me two different 20s units (the same problem was happening when I tried my wife's 20s). Even with new 20s units, I still have the same problem. I'm thinking it won't work as they claim and I may have to go back to the 10s.

Exact same problem I am experiencing. Sena has been no help. BMW dealer has bent over backward to help me with trying to come up with a solution. So, just living with it for now...I keep hoping for an update that will correct it.

hojoinsc: like you, my BMW dealer swapped out my 20S with a different unit and it does the same thing. Pair the phone directly to the 20S and it works just fine. It appears the issue is with the 20S pairing with the Garmin. I don't get why outgoing calls work fine but incoming calls drop. Frustrating.

I've given up on Sena being able to fix this problem, and they admit it (indirectly) that they can't solve the problem so I'm stuck. The best I can do is pair the Sena to the Zumo to listen to music, and pair the Sena to the phone. It is a pain if I have to make a phone call, as using Siri via the Sena to voice prompt a particular number can lead to several wrong numbers.

Back