• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is a cell phone required with a Sena or Cardo unit?

Hi Everyone. I am considering a Sena or Cardo unit for riding with my wife. My primary intention is to have an intercom. I do ride with groups from time to time so the ability to talk to them would be a bonus.
My question is do I need a cel phone to make the units function? I do not have one and dont plan to get one. Can udates all be done via computer? Are all the controls available on the unit?
I appreciate any information riders with these units can provide.
Thanks!
John

You don't need a cell phone on the Cardo but the Cardo Cell Phone APP makes management of the Intercom simpler/easier. Still, it can be done without the cell phone and written instructions are provided. Updates can be accomplished via computer using a USB cable through the Cardo update APP installed on the computer.

I am considering a Sena or Cardo unit for riding with my wife. My primary intention is to have an intercom. I do ride with groups from time to time so the ability to talk to them would be a bonus.
My question is do I need a cel phone to make the units function?
Speaking for the Sena 20S - intercoms pair without cell phone

I do not have [a cell phone] and dont plan to get one.
A modern safety feature on the back roads. Does this mean you still file travel plans with relatives or friends in case you and the wife don't show up where you're supposed to go? Or have you opted for satellite phone/messenger?

Can udates all be done via computer?
yes

Are all the controls available on the unit?
All present for pairing intercom. Preset options are best done with a computer.

Recommendation: I like reading manuals and comparing prices and features before I make a selection. The manuals are available through the manufacturer websites. If you only want the intercom function, there are options other than the big 2 that are less expensive.

I have the Sena 50S. You do not need a cell phone to use its intercom function. You can access all functions using the device itself, but a number are much easier to perform with the Sena motorcycles app on a smartphone (it also means you don't have to memorize a series of button presses etc.). You can update the device by plugging it into a PC/Mac, and using a Sena app. However, if you use the supplied charging cord, and have Wi-Fi, there is a small, built-in, module that will automatically check for, and perform, updates (assuming you've set it up properly). That said, I pair my Sena 50S to both my iPhone, and my GPS. I don't listen to music, but I can easily make an urgent phone call by accessing Apple's Siri voice assistant, with a simple button press. I used this feature last year to call 9-1-1, after I was hit by a car on the interstate outside D.C. I was effectively one-armed at that point, and would have had great difficulty digging my iPhone out of my tank bag to place a call. I also get GPS navigation instructions, by having the Sena paired to my BMW Nav VI. For me, that's essential, and much safer than using a GPS without voice instructions.

Back