• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

USB Music 2016 r1200rt

sfcomaha

I have loaded some music onto a thumb drive, connected the drive to my RT and selected USB. The screen say NO DATA. Do I have to format the drive in some way?

I have loaded some music onto a thumb drive, connected the drive to my RT and selected USB. The screen say NO DATA. Do I have to format the drive in some way?

Yes, format must be FAT16 or FAT32 (old guy's memory) - see your Owner's Manual.

Also, only MP3 music files are supported. Again, in the manual.

Also, only MP3 music files are supported.

What does that mean? I've actually been trying to get audio books to play (I use them on long trips) and have had mixed success. Some work and for some I get the "no data" message. I haven't been able to figure out whether it's a stereo vs mono thing, or a bitrate thing or what. Do you know what works and what doesn't? As far as I know, the MP3 standard doesn't explicitly distinguish between music and speech.

And, what manual are you referring to? I only received a "Quick Manual For Menu and Audio System" when I purchased my bike. Is there another more detailed manual? If there is, is there someplace I can download it?

2014 R1200RT

Are you using a Windows or Apple computer? Apple's standard is OS X Extended and Windows is NTFS. They both offer FAT32 formatting, but you have to look under the drop down menu to see it. In Apple, it's called MS-DOS FAT.

Audio books come in "digital formats (e.g., MP3 (.mp3), Windows Media Audio (.wma), Advanced Audio Coding (.aac))." Often you have to select MP3 before you download, otherwise Windows will save the file as .wma, and Apple as .aac.

You are not alone, though. It seems this is a common problem. I suggest you bring it up to your dealer. They may already have a software update for your bike. :banghead

Are you using a Windows or Apple computer? Apple's standard is OS X Extended and Windows is NTFS. They both offer FAT32 formatting, but you have to look under the drop down menu to see it. In Apple, it's called MS-DOS FAT.

Audio books come in "digital formats (e.g., MP3 (.mp3), Windows Media Audio (.wma), Advanced Audio Coding (.aac))." Often you have to select MP3 before you download, otherwise Windows will save the file as .wma, and Apple as .aac.

You are not alone, though. It seems this is a common problem. I suggest you bring it up to your dealer. They may already have a software update for your bike. :banghead

I have the USB sticks formatted correctly, my music on them plays fine. It's just with most audio books (in MP3 format) that the system claims "no data". I just had the bike serviced and there were no outstanding software upgrades. I suspect that the audio books are recorded at a low bitrate (lower than would be suitable for music) but I have not yet been able to confirm that.

I have the USB sticks formatted correctly, my music on them plays fine. It's just with most audio books (in MP3 format) that the system claims "no data". I just had the bike serviced and there were no outstanding software upgrades. I suspect that the audio books are recorded at a low bitrate (lower than would be suitable for music) but I have not yet been able to confirm that.

Well, if anyone out there is interested, I identified the problem. Audio books seem to (mostly) be recorded at a sample rate of 22000 Hz, rather than the "standard" of 44100 Hz that most music is recorded at. I used a free software program Audacity to upsample the books and the system now plays them fine.

Well, if anyone out there is interested, I identified the problem. Audio books seem to (mostly) be recorded at a sample rate of 22000 Hz, rather than the "standard" of 44100 Hz that most music is recorded at. I used a free software program Audacity to upsample the books and the system now plays them fine.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Back