• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suggestions for a USB Accessory Socket

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
After a bit of contemplation, I decided that I'd like to add an additional accessory socket for USB charging. I could purchase a BWM socket, then an adaptor, but my thought is there has to be an aftermarket socket for what I want it to do. I've looked online and can't find exactly what I was looking. With my limited knowledge, I probably would know a good one if a saw one though. I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations for an accessory socket as well as where others have installed one. I have an '88 R100 RT. My plan is to use it to keep my phone charged while in the tank bag.

Seems like this comes up from time to time...there's a thread in the Similar Threads pane that might have some info, albeit a bit old.

This was a $20 piece from Amazon in 2015:

BMW545-M.jpg

It came with enough wire to reach to the battery but it would be slick to wire it to one of the extra green or grey spades on the junction board to have the circuit fused without any extra parts.

You can also go to Cycle Gear to see what they have available. I think I paid $7.95 for a single USB when I was considering putting a charging port for my pillion at the time, whose phone was ALWAYS down to 5% charge (I will say this may be a universal feature among pillions or car passengers "Honey, do you have a charging cord?"). This one would have gone back from the battery but I couldn't decide where to mount it on the bike, which has a lift-off seat. With a hinged seat, I would have mounted it to the seat or cowl.

I grow more hesitant to recommend products or items as I look for the best results and it, because of the expense, frequently turns a thread into a "cheapest way to do something".

Anyway, electrical components really need to be quality when there is a pretty good chance that the product will be exposed to harsh environments. Be it the weather, inactivity, variable voltage or a pressure-washer, I take these conditions into considerations. If you need quality components that are designed for a harsh, or potentially harsh environment, I can recommend Marine Products from Blue Sea Marine.

1045.png

OM

Another consideration Gary might be to switch from the increasingly outdated and technically-limited USB ports to the newer USB-C ports. Of course, that kind of switch would require a new cable for the powered/charged device.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to go back to the bike and really think about where I want to mount this, since that will determine which options are better than others.

Steven, somehow I forgot to check Boxer2Valve's site. I checked most to the big motorcycle parts sites (e.g. Cycle Gear, Revilla, etc.).

Melville, I looked on Amazon and found a wide variety of options with one exception. Most didn't have a mounting bracket like you have, and I'm not in the mood to be a fabricator for a bracket.

OM, hear what you're saying. Some people choose the lease expensive, while others look more for quality. Not that I want to pay more than I have to, but I'd rather pay more for a quality product the works well and lasts. While
Blue Marine looks like they make a good product, they all seem to require a hole (no mounting brackets) for mounting. Given the configuration of the Airhead RT faring, I don't think drilling a mounting hole is a reasonable option for me.

Kurt, thanks for the link to Eastern Beaver. Those look like some good options.

I grow more hesitant to recommend products or items as I look for the best results and it, because of the expense, frequently turns a thread into a "cheapest way to do something".

Anyway, electrical components really need to be quality when there is a pretty good chance that the product will be exposed to harsh environments. Be it the weather, inactivity, variable voltage or a pressure-washer, I take these conditions into considerations. If you need quality components that are designed for a harsh, or potentially harsh environment, I can recommend Marine Products from Blue Sea Marine.

1045.png

OM

+1

Jeff,

Be aware that some usb receptacles draw current even when nothing is plugged into it. Have run across some that will kill a battery in a week or so of inactivity. Wiring it to a switched source of power will prevent this problem, but will prevent charging things while the bike is stopped.

Whatever you get, check for current draw while the bike is off while you are at home so you won’t be surprised.

:dance:dance:dance

Jeff,

Be aware that some usb receptacles draw current even when nothing is plugged into it. Have run across some that will kill a battery in a week or so of inactivity. Wiring it to a switched source of power will prevent this problem, but will prevent charging things while the bike is stopped.

Whatever you get, check for current draw while the bike is off while you are at home so you won’t be surprised.

:dance:dance:dance

One nice thing about the one from Boxer2Valve is that it has an on/off switch, so you can turn it off to avoid what you mention. I would like to learn how to make it a switched item, but my current knowledge is not there.

One nice thing about the one from Boxer2Valve is that it has an on/off switch, so you can turn it off to avoid what you mention. I would like to learn how to make it a switched item, but my current knowledge is not there.

Run the power lead through a $2.50 relay from your local auto parts store. Activate it with the power from your accessory outlet or your license plate light or something. Run the power you're going to switch for the relay from the battery and ground where you'd like.

Easy peasy. The relay will probably have a little diagram on the back to show you how to wire it.

Run the power lead through a $2.50 relay from your local auto parts store. Activate it with the power from your accessory outlet or your license plate light or something. Run the power you're going to switch for the relay from the battery and ground where you'd like.

Easy peasy. The relay will probably have a little diagram on the back to show you how to wire it.

Relay wiring information-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64189-Trigger-Wire-for-Centech-2007-R1200RT

Try not to forget to fuse all power feeds.

OM

Previous post-

OM

Back