• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another Radar Detector Thread - Valentine

With so many people recommending it (online as well as friends), I have decided to bite the bullet and get a Valentine radar detector. It has been >20 years since I have used a detector of any kind. And I've never used one on a motorcycle. But now, owning an R1250RS as well as a cabin near Murphy NC, I am beginning to believe that I need one. After spending last week in the Murphy area with my bike, I saw many of my old favorite roads posted at 35 or 40mph. And I encountered several LEO prowling the area. I'm not the speed freak that I once was (OK - perhaps I AM). But I can see me racking up some hefty fines and steep insurance premium increases.

What is the best way to mount a Valentine with a minimum of drilling and customizing? Also, what about powering the device? I'm not an electronics wizard and it would probably be best for me to not delve too deeply into the RS's electrical system.

Thanks, as always, for the assist. And my apologies for another RD thread.

I have a V1 gen2 RD on my K16GT and it's been a godsend. I have no idea how I never got any performance awards prior to having this. You'll definitely want to use the JBV1 app if you have an android phone, it's an amazing app that lets you send the alerts to your audio in your helmet, also a godsend.
I have mine mounted on a shelf that is mounted on the plastic surround, it's a solution from using a ram mount.

hyuCAOS.jpg

It has been >20 years since I have used a detector of any kind. And I've never used one on a motorcycle.

Same here but even longer back in the late 80s early 90s when I had a Passport on my Suzuki RG500 Gamma. They are illegal here but I thought of getting one again for the Porsche on country drives where I am not worried about false alarms in town. Straight line speed is boring, but I like to keep the pace up for the curves.

I can just imagine getting a speech from a LEO about the danger after being accident free and claim free for almost 50 years, longer than he has been around. Maybe if we had real driving courses and clued-in drivers instead of handing out licences out of a box of Cracker Jacks, we'd all be better off.

Looking at reviews but who makes the best one out there now?

TPX . Car radars for bikes are expensive and do not deal with humidity or weather . One can say well I do not plan to ride in those conditions then that will be fine.
Ive used the TPX since 2012 , and In 2022 my first unit quit after 150k miles , and countless storms . Its nice having a unit designed for glove use , angled display , and a micro heads up LED to get your attention that can be mounted anywhere . Photos attached are unit on my Tiger in 22 degree blizzard this year and then transferred to the RS
20230403_155505.jpg
RS in missouri 2.jpg

I ran an Adaptive TPX both first and second generations for 150,000 miles since 2014.
When the second Adaptive finally failed, due to water intrusion, I purchased a V1G2. I also downloaded the JVB1 APP vice the Valentine APP.

I'm amazed at the ability of the V1G2 to discriminate good (Police radar) from bad (spurious) signals. The JVB1 App provides the V1G2 with the ability to automatically turn on and pair to my phone/headset when I start my bike, the V1G2 APP does not have that feature. JVB1 APP integrates WAZE and other Crowd Source databases, including Aircraft, into its display. Having a wireless link to hear the various Audio Alerts: KA Band Ahead, Suspicious Aircraft Ahead, Speed trap Ahead, etc) makes it very easy to use.

I chose to mount my V1G2 using a Magnetic RAM mount after I tried a Quadlock but the Quadlock interfered with my bar at full lock.

WEAX has yet to be an issue with my V1G2, I carry a heavy-duty Quart size ZIPLOC Freezer bag to put over it in inclement WEAX, no problems so far in my first 25K miles since installing, having it mounted behind my windscreen likely helps.

20230711_142008%20Valentine-XL.jpg

Wow, Global. An RG500, huh? That had to have been way cool. As an old two-stroker from way back, I'm jealous.

I appreciate learning about the Adaptiv. While weather-resistance is a big selling feature, to me, it isn't so much. I'm not a long-distance tourer. And I just don't ride when the weather is questionable. I plan to carry a Ziplock on the bike in which to stash my detector in case of inclement weather. And if I get stuck in a downpour, I'll likely not need to worry about getting a ticket anyway.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Radenso DS1. The fact that it powers via USB is the biggest feature for me since my R1250RS has a USB port. It also has the threaded mounting hole which would seem to simplify installation on the bike.

On a side note...can someone please educate me regarding Bluetooth speakers for helmets? I'm considering a Cardo Freecom 2X Bluetooth speaker system (or something similar). My helmet is a 10-year-old HJC CS-R2 with very low mileage. I'm hoping to not have to spend a bunch of money on a new helmet to use a sound system. Will the Cardo work with my old HJC?

Wow, Global. An RG500, huh? That had to have been way cool. As an old two-stroker from way back, I'm jealous.

That is a story in itself. Of all the motorcycles I have bought (17?), there are two I wish I kept, and of course I have kept all four of my BMW GSes from my 1986 R80 G/S PD to my 2016 R1200 GSA LC. I should have never sold my 1975 Honda CB400 Four Super Sport and my 1986 Suzuki RG500 Gamma.

The Gamma was sold to a buyer in Boca Raton, FL and the money went to a new and my first BMW, a 1990 BMW R100 GS. To think what I could get for my mint Gamma now. I delivered it in a rental van over a three-day return trip to Florida and 3300 miles. Needless to say I was a zombie when I got back.

I am asking the same type of communicator & speaker questions in the Gear folder.

can someone please educate me regarding Bluetooth speakers for helmets? I'm considering a Cardo Freecom 2X Bluetooth speaker system (or something similar). My helmet is a 10-year-old HJC CS-R2 with very low mileage. I'm hoping to not have to spend a bunch of money on a new helmet to use a sound system. Will the Cardo work with my old HJC?

Yes the Cardo Freecom will work just fine with your old HJC helmet.

That is a story in itself. Of all the motorcycles I have bought (17?), there are two I wish I kept, and of course I have kept all four of my BMW GSes from my 1986 R80 G/S PD to my 2016 R1200 GSA LC. I should have never sold my 1975 Honda CB400 Four Super Sport and my 1986 Suzuki RG500 Gamma.

The Gamma was sold to a buyer in Boca Raton, FL and the money went to a new and my first BMW, a 1990 BMW R100 GS. To think what I could get for my mint Gamma now. I delivered it in a rental van over a three-day return trip to Florida and 3300 miles. Needless to say I was a zombie when I got back.

I am asking the same type of communicator & speaker questions in the Gear folder.

I've never even seen an RG500. I did, however, own a 1981 Yamaha RD350LC back in 1986/'87. That was one bada** machine. I've owned a total of six Yamaha two stroke street bikes between 1976 and 2023. I bought my R1250RS back in June and sold my '77 RD400 a couple of weeks later. I had bought it from the original owner in 2001.

Radenso & Techmounts To The Rescue!

Radenso DS1 and Techmounts to the rescue. The Techmount seemed to be the best option for mounting and, to further sweeten the deal, they're GREAT people to deal with. I chose the Radenso DS1 detector for two reasons: It seemed to get good reviews and, perhaps more importantly, it can be powered via the USB port on the R1250RS. No splicing, soldering, etc.

Attachments

• R1250RS With Radenso RD1-1123.jpg
    R1250RS With Radenso RD1-1123.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 167
  • R1250RS With Radenso RD2-1123.jpg
    R1250RS With Radenso RD2-1123.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 163
Highly illegal where I live. I'd have to hide it well somewhere.

No open carry here in Florida. But I carry my SIG P938 in a Sneaky Pete holster. Fortunately, open carry is lawful when it comes to detectors. At least here in Florida as well as in Georgia and North Carolina where I also spend my time.

Highly illegal where I live. I'd have to hide it well somewhere.

The way I always looked at it, if I am going to be bombarded by radio waves, then I have the right to tune into them.

Funny thing is, we are doing 180-200 KPH (112-124 MPH) in a KIA Sorento (SUV) while I am being picked up at the airport in Germany and they have never had an accident in the almost 30 years that I know them. Go figure!

Its so easy to sit behind a radar or laser gun and collect $$$ instead of dealing with real crime. And policing is not that dangerous when compared to construction deaths...not even close.

I do not mean to keep beating the proverbial dead horse by resurrecting my old thread. But here goes...

So I have a new Radenso DS-1 radar detector which I really like. I've got it mounted and powered, so life is good. For the most part.

The problem is audio. I spent $200 on a Cardo Freecom 2X based upon the (mistaken) notion that I'd be able to Bluetooth alerts from the Radenso to the Freecom. No such luck, apparently. The Radenso has Bluetooth but it works through a phone app and is only for programming the unit. So I thought (again, mistakenly) that I should be able to plug a Bluetooth transmitter into the 3.5mm audio out port on the detector and pick that up via the Freecom. No again.

So, now I have a $200 Freecom 2X that is, essentially, useless to me. I very rarely ride with others. The last thing I want to do when riding is talk on the %$#&ing phone. I just want to be able to receive audio alerts from my Radenso. I resorted to using a $6 set of earbuds with a 4' cord plugged directly into the audio out on the detector. I run the cord up inside my jacket and, voila! I've got my audio alerts.

Anybody interested in a barely-used Freecom 2X? Cheap.

P.S.: The other thing about the Freecom is that it has screwed up the way that my helmet's inner pads fit. Nearly every time I go to pick up my helmet by gripping it near the earcups, the cheekpad tries to come out. It's a royal PIA. I want nothing more than to rip the Freecom OUT and go back to the way my helmet used to be. Talk about a $200 bummer!

"they can't clock a motorcycle from the front"... I think our CHP would disagree with that: the headlight reflector makes a GREAT return to the radar receiver (maybe that depends on the transmitter's frequency?), ditto with laser (a good reason to have a plastic headlight protector....).

In this state, the California Vehicle Code states, in Division 12, Article 17, section 28150, paragraph a:
"No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects."
(and yes I do have a headlight protector)

This is an interesting thread because a few years ago I was talking a cop who rode motorcycles in his personal time and told me they can't clock a motorcycle from the front, only from the license plate from the back. Although at this point I don't have anything on my bike, all of our cars are equipped with radar blocking license plate covers, those are cheaper than a radar detector.

Me thinks the cop you were speaking to was pulling your leg. I have a recent certificate of achievement that confirms police have absolutely no trouble picking up the speed from the front of my bike. We also have numerous roadside signs around here that will display your actual speed, typically in residential areas where there are chronic speed problems, and every single one of those signs displays exactly what my GPS speed shows.

Radar blocking license plates. You don't think there is anything else in the rear of a car that can reflect???

Most of these threads tend to crack me up.
That’s why I hang around.
For the laughs. :laugh
And this one’s a real gut buster.
Unless you’re riding a two wheeled Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, that friendly radar toting cop has your butt.
Yes, even if you’re equipped with that worthless radar absorbing license plate. :laugh

Back