• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Usb port issues

adecood

On my 2019 R1250RT I have been having issues with the USB port. lately when I start the bike the on the dash it says no USB. Then a few minutes later it say's loading. Then a few minutes later I hear a beep in the Sena saying BT connected. It cycles thru these options' multiple times. still no USB.
Then sometimes when I start the bike it works fine. It also seems to work fine in the garage with the bike off.
Sometimes it works fine and sometimes not.
This weekend on my trip it didn't work. Then I got to my destination and after 1 hr with the bike parked and taking off for dinner when I started the bike it worked. After dinner it worked when I started the bike. Then I stopped for gas, started the bike and it didn't work.

I have done the following to try to fix it.
I formatted all of my USB sticks to Fat 32. In the owner's manual it says must be Fat 16 or fat 32.
I have the following thumb drives: 8gb, 32gb, 124gb
My music is MP3 format.
I have tried turning the system on and off on the side dash when I am on the road. This doesn't seem to fix the issue.
I have pulled the wire plug out of the glove box and move the wire / plug around to see if there is a short. No change.
I had a software update on the bike. No change.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Have you tried the USB Thumb Drive and cable combination in another vehicle? I have to suspect the issue is bad cable.....

Thumb drive

All of the thumb drive's I have works in my laptop. As for the cable it is permanently wired to the bike. The cable has a usb and 3.5mm connector built into the end cable. It was BMW's way to add those features to the bike.
Ya it maybe the cable issue further up the system. I haven't investigated it that far yet

I suspect it's the cable and or the head-unit on the BMW. Suggestion would be to transition away from using USB Thumb Drives for media and use cell phone via bluetooth. This is a common issue with owners of cars as well....I participate on other forums and we see many users such as yourself using USB Thumb drives with questionable results.

Thumb drive

Thank you for the suggestion on using your phone. I have been using my phone when the usb port quits on me. But I prefer to use the usb port because I have the option of changing tacks and changing the volume with the thumb wheel on the bike. Basically, keeping my hands on the bars while changing the parameters. With the phone I can only change the volume via my Sena control on my helmet.
I could use the 3.5 mm port on the cable in the glove box, but my phone will not fit. Plus, if it did it wouldn't get cooled off in the box.

Back