• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Pressure Monitor Shelf Life

Dimond

I purchased front and rear tire pressure sensors for replacement of original sensors about a year ago. Each sensor, as you know, has a CR2032 battery sealed into the unit (not easily replaceable). These batteries have a shelf life of quite a few years IF NOT BEING USED. However, I am unclear if this battery is being used (i.e., draining power by sending out a signal) when it sits on a shelf (and not installed in a wheel)? Is my shelf life shorter when these batteries are installed in a tire pressure sensor that is NOT in use vs a battery that is NOT installed in a senor and just sitting on a shelf?

PS - My ORIGINAL tire pressure sensors in my R1200GS 2015 lasted about 3 years in the FRONT tire while the REAR sensor is still going strong.

The sensor units have a built-in switch that turns on the unit after it detects that the wheel is spinning, and then shuts it off about 15 minutes after the wheel stops, so it shouldn't discharge the battery significantly while sitting on the shelf. Still, I wouldn't want to buy one that has sat on the shelf for several years.

Many thanks for the feedback. Now I better understand why/how the TPS units last so long (i.e., not actually using power unless riding).

Many thanks for the feedback. Now I better understand why/how the TPS units last so long (i.e., not actually using power unless riding).

FWIW - I have been advised that the battery in a BMW OEM TPMS is a CR2050HR. I have attached data sheets for Maxwell CR2032H and CR2050HR. Both the same diameter with the 2050 being 2mm thicker. The 2050 has more capacity. I plan to install my 'China KnockOffs' but am leary of both 1) how long they will last - and 2) pairing with bike. As backup I plan to dig out the old batteries and replace with 2050 if it fits or 2032 if does not, as both are available with solder tabs (which is a must as soldering directly to the stainless steel case historically has been very difficult for me in the past). I will keep my refurbished OEM TPMS units on the shelf (in my house - not my hot garage) for when I might need them. This will shorten my turn-around time in getting new tires installed (about 1 day as compared to several days if I have to refurbish my BMW OEM TPS before I have new tires installed). A google search indicates that I can purchase several 2032 or 2050 with solder tabs for less that $20 delivered on short notice.

Back