• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which of the dwindling choices for R1100RS tires?

jsouth

I need to replace my R1100RS tires (original 18" rear wheel). Very few choices are out there and I'm curious who has something they like.

Choices seem to be:

1. Pirelli Angel (both front and rear available)
  2. Older Michelin Pilot Road or older Continental dual compound. I'm concerned that these may be old on the shelf.
  3. Bridgestone Battlax (I currently have T30 EVOs and have some bad front tire rippling. Combined with how stiff the sidewalls are and resulting difficulty of installation, I'm not interested in buying these. I also have really weird looking wear on the front even after upping the inflation from new until now.
  4. Mixing new design front tire with another brand rear tire available in 18" size.

I'm not interested in track day stickiness, but I don't idle around corners, either. Does anyone have recent experience with this decision? I would value opinions.

Last edited:
I generally go through about three sets of tires a year on my 1100RT. Same 18” rear.

I don’t concern myself about mixing different makers front and rear, I have never had any issues with different brands at the same time.

Michelin PR3 is pretty much unavailable. I’ve been using the Pirelli Angel GT rear tire. Reliable performance and no surprises. I’m getting a little better life from the Pirelli than I was getting from the PR3, when it was available. Unless you are riding the same road as me and following behind, the actual numbers can’t be compared.

My favorite front tires, have been the Michelin PR4 GT, and recently the Dunlop Roadsmart 4. I tried a matching pair of Angel GT tires, but I found that the front wore out very quickly.

Last edited:
I generally go through about three sets of tires a year on my 1100RT. Same 18” rear.

I don’t concern myself about mixing different makers front and rear, I have never had any issues with different brands at the same time.

Michelin PR3is pretty much unavailable. I’ve been using the Pirelli Angel GT rear tire. Reliable performance and no surprises. I’m getting a little better life from the Pirelli than I was getting from the PR3, when it was available. Unless you are riding the same road as me and following behind, the actual numbers can’t be compared.

My favorite front tires, have been the Michelin PR4 GT, and recently the Dunlop Roadsmart 4. I tried a matching pair of Angel GT tires, but I found that the front wore out very quickly.

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

What do you run for inflation pressures (F/R)? My around home rides are pretty straight and I wear the middles a lot. Trips take me to twisties, but that's probably only 30% of my mileage.

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

What do you run for inflation pressures (F/R)? My around home rides are pretty straight and I wear the middles a lot. Trips take me to twisties, but that's probably only 30% of my mileage.

I try to start out with PSI of 39/40 or close to that. I don't go crazy about it, and will let the tires drop a pound or two and then reset to around 39/40. I do use an external TPMS, so I do know what my PSI is. Just as an aside, I have the valve stem, TR412 - stubby rubber stem, replaced every time the tire is replaced.

I've got a pair of Angel GT's that came on my R1100RT when I bought it, and they are fine tires. They're now on my R850R. I think they're a better fit for the Roadster as the handling is slightly more lively.

I run 40PSI front and 42 rear on both bikes. The only thing I've found that I don't like about the Pirellis is that they squirm a bit more on grooved pavement than the Avon Spirit ST's I've also ridden on. They also produce a bit more noise on any less-smooth surfaces -- I can hear the tires complaining when they're on rough pavement.

I believe Avon still makes the Spirit ST's in our sizes too and they're fine tires, though a bit less sharp in profile than the Angel GT's so less intended for corner carving. Their wet stability is excellent and I've ridden them in serious downpours at interstate speeds with no issues. They're confident and predictable all around even if they're not as sporty as the Pirellis. I also found the Avons alright to spoon on by hand. Tires are never particularly easy by hand but with the right tools (14" tire spoons if you're curious), good tire lube, and letting them warm up in the sun, the Avons went on easier than most tires I've changed.

Haven't had the chance to change any Pirellis yet but I imagine they'd be stiffer just based on how they've handled and behaved for me.

The Michelin Pilot road 3 was my preferred tire for my 2000 R1100 RS. After finding the supplies depleted, I tried an Avon Storm. Although handling is fine, the front tire was toast after just 3500 miles. The rear is still doing fine, and is only showing about 50% wear, after 5000 miles. Obviously, I didn’t replace my front tire with another Avon Storm. No, I sourced a Metzler 6, which is wearing fine with less than 2000 miles. When my Avon rear tire goes, I plan to match the front Metzler.

I try to start out with PSI of 39/40 or close to that. I don't go crazy about it, and will let the tires drop a pound or two and then reset to around 39/40. I do use an external TPMS, so I do know what my PSI is. Just as an aside, I have the valve stem, TR412 - stubby rubber stem, replaced every time the tire is replaced.

For inflation, I have been running 35/39 F/R (manual says 31/36) and I still get weird wear in front. At 6k miles on the Battlax T30 Evo the wear looks downright dangerous, even though tread is still reasonably good. I guess I shouldn't complain about 6k on a front tire on this bike!

I also found the Avons alright to spoon on by hand. Tires are never particularly easy by hand but with the right tools (14" tire spoons if you're curious), good tire lube, and letting them warm up in the sun, the Avons went on easier than most tires I've changed.

Haven't had the chance to change any Pirellis yet but I imagine they'd be stiffer just based on how they've handled and behaved for me.

I have always changed my own tires - I'm far away from a shop that will do it. And my dad had an R1100RS and I helped him as well (he rode almost until he passed away at 79). I have had Avon 45/46, Pirelli Angels, Pirelli Diablo, Michelin Pilot Road 2 and 3.

These Bridgestones were a struggle to get the bead over the rim. I had to finally use a big (about 24") tire spoon from Harbor Freight. The Pirellis were about the easiest I have ever mounted when they were warmed by the sun; they almost went over the rim by hand.

Last edited:
For inflation, I have been running 35/39 F/R (manual says 31/36) and I still get weird wear in front. At 6k miles on the Battlax T30 Evo the wear looks downright dangerous, even though tread is still reasonably good. I guess I shouldn't complain about 6k on a front tire on this bike!

IMO - you should run higher PSI on the front. You don't really say what is "weird" about the front tire wear. Scalloped front wear, I would say tire pressure, and possibly worn front shock. Left side wear on the front, empty your right side saddlebag and put all or most of it into the left bag. Left side wear is not a road crown issue, it is a weight distribution issue with the Oilheads, especially the RT. Like I said, you can't compare tire mileage from one guy to the next, but 6k miles is pretty close to finished on my RT front tire.

20231107_135842.jpg

Here's the strange wear. Sorry, the picture is rotated CW (up is on the left). There is a visible line where the center tread compound ends. The wear looks a little like cupping, but there is a pronounced ridge with what look like bubbles. It does correspond with the tread pattern, so maybe it is shock wear. I have Ohlins shocks that have been rebuilt, but it has been several miles ago. I'm not riding it again until the tire is changed.

Most of my miles are without saddlebags.

I have never replaced the front bearings, either, and I think I hear some noise turning the tire by hand when on the center stand. When I change the tire, I will change those bearings as well. They are 23 years and almost 108k miles old. Can't hurt. And the new tire will have higher inflation pressure.

What you're seeing there is the different types of rubber that form the carcass of your tire. The edge has a softer rubber and your tire shows that you've done some decently aggressive cornering on it. If you've been doing lots of curvy road riding, you can expect the edges to wear faster than the centers.

The "bubbles" are the tire making little balls of rubber to shed as it gets hot and is accelerated or cornered. If you've ever been to a track day and seen your tires afterwards, it's like that. Nice work! :D

What you're seeing there is the different types of rubber that form the carcass of your tire. The edge has a softer rubber and your tire shows that you've done some decently aggressive cornering on it. If you've been doing lots of curvy road riding, you can expect the edges to wear faster than the centers.

The "bubbles" are the tire making little balls of rubber to shed as it gets hot and is accelerated or cornered. If you've ever been to a track day and seen your tires afterwards, it's like that. Nice work! :D

I think we are looking at different things. I am familiar with balled-up rubber (that makes marbles on the track). I don't have that, and unfortunately don't have twisty roads around here to get it!

What I am calling bubbles are the large (1.5-2") humps parallel with the center of the tire but in the curved part of the tread.

I need to replace my R1100RS tires (original 18" rear wheel). Very few choices are out there and I'm curious who has something they like.

The choices are out there, you just have to understand the market.

You are now owning a "vintage" motorcycle, and USA tire distributors do not carry tires for vintage bikes.

If you wanted a vintage size for an older car in USA you would contact Coker Tire. No equivalent to that for motorcycles exists in USA.

However, in Germany, riders are not allowed to substitute tires sizes if they wish to continue their bikes' road approval. The " older" sizes are still available.

You need to now import tires for your bike.

I was able at one time to import 3.00X21 and 4.00X18 TKC80 tires for my old R80G/S. Sizes never sold in USA.

I'd try to work with motobins ... http://www.motobins.co.uk

Last edited:
The choices are out there, you just have to understand the market.

You are now owning a "vintage" motorcycle, and USA tire distributors to not carry tires for vintage bikes.

If you wanted a vintage size for an older car in USA you would contact Coker Tire. No equivalent to that for motorcycles exists in USA.

However, in Germany, riders are not allowed to substitute tires sizes if they wish to continue their bikes' road approval. The " older" sizes are still available.

You need to now import tires for your bike.

I was able at one time to import 3.00X21 and 4.00X18 TKC80 tires for my old R80G/S. Sizes never sold in USA.

I'd try to work with motobins ... http://www.motobins.co.uk

Seems to be getting kinda weird on 4 wheels as well. When I went to replace tires on my pickup at a tire store that has really grown- currently 79 locations, I told them to put the same tire on the truck as it had. I got a big WOAH…there sonny, we can only put on tires that were offered for that truck in that year. I told them they were the original tires and they said they had to confirm that.
I got through that transaction and had to go back for a slow leak. They won’t be my first choice for tires next time.
Too much hassle involved.
OM

I just looked this up for someone today; Revzilla is selling Metzeler Z8s in that size and they are in stock.

Thank you, I did see that as well. I ultimately decided against them based on a review on this forum that they wore in the center quickly.

I ordered a Dunlop Roadsmart 4 front tire (rear tire is OK at this point). I'll carefully look at and replace front wheel bearings if needed. It's been 30k miles since my Ohlins were rebuilt, so I will do that as well. I guess I'll be keeping this one a while longer..... :)

Back