• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R850R: Tire size options for 18 inch spoked front?

senseamidmadness

Neglected Bike Adopter
I am not asking for advice on which tires specifically, at least not directly, though I won't be bothered if you mention a tire because it's available.

Finally got hold of a set of the OEM tubeless spoked wheels for my R850R and need new shoes for them. Front is a 2.50 by 18 and the rear is a 4.00 by 17.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has experience with mounting slightly off-size tires on a spoked 18 inch front wheel on their Oilhead, and whether the tires interfered anywhere. There aren't a ton of options in the exact stock size of 110/80-18, but broadening that to include 120/80-18 and 110/90-18's adds a dozen or more possibles like the Michelin Road 6 and that's an ideal tire for how I ride.

I know a 120-width won't rub the sidewalls but height may be a concern. Anyone got direct knowledge?

Can't speak to your question about running slightly off-size tires, but I have an 1100R that came with the 18/17 spoked tubeless. I've gone a different direction with it now but when I had that combo I ran Pirelli Angel GT's on it and was pretty happy with them. FWIW....

From both first hand experience and hearing the stories form other riders, it never pays to change the tire size on these bikes. Bigger tires make for slower, more sluggish handling.

In my case, I bought a set of Battleaxes that were a step up in size from the recommended size. I replaced them after a few hundred miles as they handled poorly. As in more slowly.

This question comes up with frequency in this forum and doubtless it will continue. Folks think they know more than BMW engineers.

Can't speak to your question about running slightly off-size tires, but I have an 1100R that came with the 18/17 spoked tubeless. I've gone a different direction with it now but when I had that combo I ran Pirelli Angel GT's on it and was pretty happy with them. FWIW....

I've currently got a set of Angel GT's on the bike with the stock 3-spoke cast wheels. Fantastic tires. They have more grip than I could ever use and the handling is plenty sharp.

My ideal tire, which I can get in the exact stock sizes for the 18/17, is actually the Pirelli Trail Scorpion II since I plan on adapting this bike into a mild off-roadster.

Thanks for your input Manitou Commando -- do you remember exactly which "step up" those Bridgestones were from stock? Was it in the width, or the aspect ratio?

Back