• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'78 R100 Rear Tire Replacement

dbrouss

I've had a 1978 R100/7 now for 2 years and need to replace the rear tire. Manual calls out a 4.00H18 size. I've also seen where manufacturers will list 120/90-18 or even 110/90-18. Note, I have the light alloy wheels vs spokes if that natters. The list of available tires that I've found so far are:

1) Metzeler Roadtek 01 - R/4.00-18 M/C 64V TL
2) Dunlop D404 - 110/90-18 61H
3) Michelin Road Classic - 4.00B18 64H
4a) Continental ContiGo - 4.00-18 M/C 64H TL
4b) Continental RB2/K112 - 4.00-18 M/C 64H TL
4c) Continental ContiClassicAttack - 110/90 R M/C 61 V TL

Some are the classic older tire design and some have the newer. I'm looking for a good all around tire with reasonable tire longevity. I'm not that hot rod guy anymore now that I've survived to be this old. Given the list above, or even off the list, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Dane

Welcome to the forum, Dane! My suggestion is to stay with the inch-sized tires. The metric tires have a lower profile and smaller radius which changes the geometry of the suspension and also can create problems with the side and center stand. DAMHIK!!

I’ll agree strongly with Kurt, regarding the choice of the original inch size tires. From your list, I would choose the Michelin Road Classic 4.00-18. I would also check for the Avon Roadrider MKII, also in the inch sizes.

Welcome to the forum, Dane! My suggestion is to stay with the inch-sized tires. The metric tires have a lower profile and smaller radius which changes the geometry of the suspension and also can create problems with the side and center stand. DAMHIK!!

Thanks for the advice!

I’ll agree strongly with Kurt, regarding the choice of the original inch size tires. From your list, I would choose the Michelin Road Classic 4.00-18. I would also check for the Avon Roadrider MKII, also in the inch sizes.

Appreciate your input and suggested tires! Thanks!

I've had the RB2/K112 on two bikes long long ago...
The front RB2 was a "WIGGLER" on grated bridges and freeway grooves; maybe they've changed since then.
I liked K112 a lot; while not a super-tire, it handled well and actually saved me from my own mistakes a couple of times.
I've also had the older K70; it was a decent all-around tire (back then) but better traction and handling can be had.

Hi Dane!

FWIW, I have the same bike and recently bought the Michelin Road Classics. So far I am very pleased with them..!

There is NOT a metric equivalent to 4.00-18

4.00-18 are available from manufacturers that have made tires for Airheads. Those offering only metric sizes are not making tires for Airheads. They are old, vintage motorcycles ... extra effort finding parts should be expected.

Don't go with an over-size thinking that it will increase performance or grip or something.
You will regret it immediately. Oversized tires will dramatically decrease handling.

Back