• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Pressure Monitor

When the TPM battery started to die on one of mine I would get a warning triangle and when I looked at the pressure reading it would show a dash with no number for that tire.
It never showed zero.

Yes … I assumed that he meant it was a dash but that’s what both mine did

a9af956a059886a178f045868cb15109.jpg

Ready for my next tire change, thanks explorer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Time to revice this thread. Today I replaced the TPMS sensors in both tires, using the units recommended by Boxflyer. NO problem with the installation, but I'm having trouble with setting the ID, using the Motoscan app. (I have the ULTIMATE version). I also bought the "wakeup" tool referenced above.

Here's my problem, as I've observed it:

Wakeup tool has two settings -- "GM" or "FORD". Which one should I use?
I can't key in the ID, as it has a character in the code (ie "2260E9"). This may also be why the Motoscan won't "Learn" the id.
Not sure the other ID, keyed in (7 digit all numeric) was recognized by the bike's computer.

Any reasonable ideas as to what to try next? I'm tired of seeing the yellow triangle and the tire symbols on my dash. If I want to temporarily disable the TPMS function until my next tire change, any clues how to do this with Motoscan?

As indicated in my signature, I have a 2015 R1200RT, loaded. (Keyless ignition, etcetera). Purchased new in 2015

Time to revice this thread. Today I replaced the TPMS sensors in both tires, using the units recommended by Boxflyer. NO problem with the installation, but I'm having trouble with setting the ID, using the Motoscan app. (I have the ULTIMATE version). I also bought the "wakeup" tool referenced above.

I can't key in the ID, as it has a character in the code (ie "2260E9"). This may also be why the Motoscan won't "Learn" the id.
Not sure the other ID, keyed in (7 digit all numeric) was recognized by the bike's computer.

Any reasonable ideas as to what to try next? I'm tired of seeing the yellow triangle and the tire symbols on my dash. If I want to temporarily disable the TPMS function until my next tire change, any clues how to do this with Motoscan?

As indicated in my signature, I have a 2015 R1200RT, loaded. (Keyless ignition, etcetera). Purchased new in 2015

You need convert the hexadecimal ID to decimal format.

Here's a converter:
https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/hex-to-decimal.html

So hex 2260E9 = decimal 2253033

Can't help you with the wake-up tool question but I can tell you that the sensor needs to be excited by a 125,000 Hz signal to wake-up.

You need convert the hexadecimal ID to decimal format.

Here's a converter:
https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/hex-to-decimal.html

So hex 2260E9 = decimal 2253033

Can't help you with the wake-up tool question but I can tell you that the sensor needs to be excited by a 125,000 Hz signal to wake-up.

Thanks for the converter. I also received the same information from MotoScan when I sent a request for help to them (sometimes that time difference between Birmingham/Berlin works in my favor). Wakeup tool didn't wake up the unit, but was able to manually key the converted number into Motoscan. Saturday I'll see if the units actually work. At least I don't have any error codes showing or reported by Motoscan.

My wakeup tool is only for GM and it works fine. So, I would suggest you try the GM option.

Thanks for the converter. I also received the same information from MotoScan when I sent a request for help to them (sometimes that time difference between Birmingham/Berlin works in my favor). Wakeup tool didn't wake up the unit, but was able to manually key the converted number into Motoscan. Saturday I'll see if the units actually work. At least I don't have any error codes showing or reported by Motoscan.

Pleased to report the Amazon-supplied TPMS senders work perfectly, once I manually keyed in the numbers. That brings me to a question that's really a curiosity, not a problem (now).

I wasn't able to successfully use the wakeup tool. Didn't see the response above before I did the manual data entry, so still don't know if the GM setting on my unit will work, or if I have a defective wakeup tool. For what I paid for it (Amazon), I'm not going to spend a lot of time or money worrying about it now. I may try again in the future with it set to GM.

Now, back to my question(s) -- Why did one unit have an ID code in hex format, one in decimal format? Both TPMS units looked identical, both have exactly the same stock (part) number. One unit had an ID number in decimal format, the other unit was in HEX. It was easy to tell the one number was in HEX (and had to be converted to decimal so it could be entered/saved with Motoscan. How was I supposed to know the one unit was in decimal format and not HEX (yes, I know all digits LOOK like it was a decimal (which it was), but how was I to know that it wasn't a low HEX number that just didn't have any alpha codes in it? BTW, there was absolutely no documentation shipped with the TPMS units.

If the wakeup tool/learn method in Motoscan had worked for me, this wouldn't have been a possible issue.

At least it's working, and I have TPMS functioning again on my RT! I'm happy, just a bit puzzles.

Pleased to report the Amazon-supplied TPMS senders work perfectly, once I manually keyed in the numbers. That brings me to a question that's really a curiosity, not a problem (now).

I wasn't able to successfully use the wakeup tool. Didn't see the response above before I did the manual data entry, so still don't know if the GM setting on my unit will work, or if I have a defective wakeup tool. For what I paid for it (Amazon), I'm not going to spend a lot of time or money worrying about it now. I may try again in the future with it set to GM.

Now, back to my question(s) -- Why did one unit have an ID code in hex format, one in decimal format? Both TPMS units looked identical, both have exactly the same stock (part) number. One unit had an ID number in decimal format, the other unit was in HEX. It was easy to tell the one number was in HEX (and had to be converted to decimal so it could be entered/saved with Motoscan. How was I supposed to know the one unit was in decimal format and not HEX (yes, I know all digits LOOK like it was a decimal (which it was), but how was I to know that it wasn't a low HEX number that just didn't have any alpha codes in it? BTW, there was absolutely no documentation shipped with the TPMS units.

If the wakeup tool/learn method in Motoscan had worked for me, this wouldn't have been a possible issue.

At least it's working, and I have TPMS functioning again on my RT! I'm happy, just a bit puzzles.

I think that the ID in decimal format will always have 7 digits.

That being the case the highest possible decimal code is 9999999 which is 98967F in hex.

As you can see even at the highest possible value there are only 6 digits in hex.

So even if the hex code was all numerals and no letters the fact that there are only 6 digits (or alternatively less than 7) tells you that it is in hex.

I am not surprised that there was no documentation as I imagine the sensors were from China via Amazon and/or its partners. Given that origin I am not entirely surprised that the labelling would be different either. I just ordered mine via AliExpress and cut out the middlemen.

If you have a radio that tunes to 433 MHz (know any radio amateurs?) you can tune to that frequency excite a sensor using the tool and if it works you will definitely hear the data burst from the sensor on the radio.

And for those readers who have a 2022+ wethead none of the above applies to your bike because BMW switched suppliers from Schrader to LDL Technologies and no one knows anything about those sensors so far.

The Schrader sensors shown above are what I am using now, but I'm buying the programmable ones locally. I think I have this stuff right:

BMW:
36 31 9 832 032 sensor pre-programmed $219.70
36 31 8 388 689 angled stem for spoked wheels $65.93
36 31 8 359 962 nut for angled stem $12.96
36 31 8 359 961 bolt for cast wheels $14.02

$235-300 in parts!!!

Schrader:
3141M sensor pre-programmed $70-ish (not available in USA)
33900 sensor programmable $40 (available at O'Reilly's and other places)
25078 angled stem with nut for spoked wheels $20 each (sold in 4-pack)
5081M bolt for cast wheels (not available in USA)

I buy the 33900 sensors locally and program them for the BMWs. It's easiest to just clone the existing sensor ID if the old sensor is still alive, or read the sensor IDs from the bike and load those IDs into the new sensors. I use the Ateq/Schrader S41 tool for that.

The Schrader sensors shown above are what I am using now, but I'm buying the programmable ones locally. I think I have this stuff right:

BMW:

$235-300 in parts!!!

:jawdrop

BMW:

$235-300 in parts!!!

Schrader:
3141M sensor pre-programmed $70-ish (not available in USA)
33900 sensor programmable $40 (available at O'Reilly's and other places)
25078 angled stem with nut for spoked wheels $20 each (sold in 4-pack)
5081M bolt for cast wheels (not available in USA)

I buy the 33900 sensors locally and program them for the BMWs. It's easiest to just clone the existing sensor ID if the old sensor is still alive, or read the sensor IDs from the bike and load those IDs into the new sensors. I use the Ateq/Schrader S41 tool for that.

Why do you think its is that there is no US source for the BMW-specific tire pressure sensor replacement parts made by Schrader?

China? IraN? Who knows!

If you are referring to the country of origin, the Schrader 3141M sensor (i.e. the non-programmable one that is specifically made to replace the BMW OEM sensors (also manufactured by Schrader)) is made in Italy. It's available throughout the EU.

Why do you think its is that there is no US source for the BMW-specific tire pressure sensor replacement parts made by Schrader?

Not sure which you mean: why is it that I believe that, or what do I think the reasoning is behind that?

• If the former, only because every source I see for the 3141M and the 5081M is overseas. If you know of a US retail source, please share!
  • If the latter, it's common for BMW to have exclusive distribution rights in certain markets. They want to sell that to you for $219 and they can't do that if NAPA has them for $69. On the same note, all or nearly all TPMS programming tools omit BMW motorcycle protocols.
The 3141M can be bought unprogrammed as the 33900, and the 5181M can be bought from BMW as 36 31 8 359 961.

BTW what I have read indicates that Schrader's 3141M for BMW and 3142M for KTM are the same exact part, just with different printing.

Not sure which you mean: why is it that I believe that, or what do I think the reasoning is behind that?

• If the former, only because every source I see for the 3141M and the 5081M is overseas. If you know of a US retail source, please share!
  • If the latter, it's common for BMW to have exclusive distribution rights in certain markets. They want to sell that to you for $219 and they can't do that if NAPA has them for $69. On the same note, all or nearly all TPMS programming tools omit BMW motorcycle protocols.
The 3141M can be bought unprogrammed as the 33900, and the 5181M can be bought from BMW as 36 31 8 359 961.

BTW what I have read indicates that Schrader's 3141M for BMW and 3142M for KTM are the same exact part, just with different printing.

It was the latter.

So to summarize the options for identical Schrader RDC3 tire pressure sensor replacements for BMW motorcycles:

BMW 36 31 9 832 032 US$220 (US$113 in the UK)
KTM 61412033000 US$73 - 80
Schrader 3141M or KTM 3142M US$70 (must be imported into the US)
Schrader 33900 US$40 (must be programmed or cloned using a TPMS tool)

Another example of outrageous overpricing by BMW NA.

Last edited:
Brand new, BMW parts from Motorworks in UK total for all those parts $160.84, plus shipping. I just bought a radiator for my 2006 F650GS as mine blew a hole. US price $717, Motorworks UK $449,99 shipped and I ordered it on Monday, it arrived Friday.

Back