• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Pressure Monitor

rwl1955

Front tire pressure monitor on my 2016 RT lit up on dashboard a few months ago. Checked PSI and around 32 but monitor in computer had no PSI reading. Same happened 3 weeks ago and adjusted PSI to 38psi. Saturday same thing and PSI was at 38psi. I hate these things, had issues with them in my Rav4 and it was $250 per wheel to replace. Anyone else have this issue?

The battery in the front wheel TPM is dying.
I had to replace the front TPM in my 2016 R1200RS last year.

Last edited:
Front tire pressure monitor on my 2016 RT lit up on dashboard a few months ago. Checked PSI and around 32 but monitor in computer had no PSI reading. Same happened 3 weeks ago and adjusted PSI to 38psi. Saturday same thing and PSI was at 38psi. I hate these things, had issues with them in my Rav4 and it was $250 per wheel to replace. Anyone else have this issue?

This will happen more frequently in cold weather. My 2016 RT rear tyre readout has been intermittent for about a year or two, I forgot to tell the tech(s) to change the battery at the last two tyre changes.

The first symptom of the battery failing was no reading, just a couple of hyphens. Sometimes the readout color would go red.

I regularly check my tires with a gauge, so it's my memory that's more of an issue ;)

YMMV

The dealer won't replace the battery, they will sell you a new TPMS for about $215 plus installation. They can be replace but it's not easy, I tried and it didn't work out.

There are how-to posts and videos on how to change the battery which is buried under epoxy and not meant to be changed. These efforts were largely inspired by BMW's outrageous pricing on replacement sensors. More recently owners have just been buying the much cheaper compatible aftermarket sensors. For greater certainty it's a good idea to verify the function of a replacement sensor before installing it on the wheel. This can be done using either a GS-911 or the Motoscan app's "learn" function wherein a wake-up tool is used to prod the sensor into broadcasting its ID. If the ID shows up on the bike's RDC (TPMS) then its very likely to work once installed on the wheel and after a few miles of riding.

The dealer won't replace the battery, they will sell you a new TPMS for about $215 plus installation. They can be replace but it's not easy, I tried and it didn't work out.

That's what I was afraid of! Thanks for the info. Dealer will store bike for winter and it's time for 18,000mi service which is just oil and filter according to manual. I guess I will be at their mercy.

Make sure that aftermarket sensors are compatible with the specific sensors used in your bike and note that not all come with valves.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Timely

Talk about timely, I just checked this site to see what I could find out about the sensors since my front is going.
To those who posted the AliExpress Web site link, do you know with certainty if the sensors listed for the 2015 r1200 gs are directly plug and play, or do you need to activate them.somehow?

If you do a search of this forum you will find some previous threads that cover this subject.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?96706-YouTube-R1200RTW-TPMS-Programing-with-the-GS-911&highlight=

R1200RTW%20TPMS%20Programing%20with%20the%20GS-911-M.jpg

:eek That just about doubles the cost of replacing tires. I think I need to research alternatives to the dealer for this.

:eek That just about doubles the cost of replacing tires. I think I need to research alternatives to the dealer for this.

Probably won’t need to replace the sensor at each tire change.
OM

BTW,

The average cost for a BMW 328i tire pressure monitor control module replacement is between $597 and $661.

https://repairpal.com/estimator/bmw/328i/tire-pressure-monitor-control-module-replacement-cost

Seems like the “higher end” a vehicle is, the more expensive everything is.

BMW just keeps finding ways to make my Hexhead look better and better...

The best alternative is to do it yourself. Get a GS911 or Motoscan set-up and a wake-up tool on Amazon for under $15. Replacing a sensor and getting it paired with the bike is not a difficult thing to do. Boxflyer has a good video on the procedure on YouTube.

By the way, I've used a GS911 for 11-12 years; I'm on my third one. It is a good tool and has served me well, but when mine fails or I'm out of allocated VIN spaces, I plan to switch to MotoScan. Much cheaper, no limits and from watching my friends use their's, it is more capable than a GS911.

My local dealer said they had tried using battery replaced sensors and replacing the batteries with very poor results. Hence they simply replace the whole module. Good news is it's covered under your extended warranty if you have one. Had my rear replaced on my 2016 about 2 years ago and the front just started acting up. Have appt. on Thursday to have it replaced under the warranty.

Back