• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tire age reality vs manufacturer hype

Great video that seemed to cover the subject well while literally using a soap box. He answered some of your original questions that had me wondering also. Thanks for sharing.

I agree. I enjoyed the video. The video answered many questions; however, it didn’t answer my biggest concern. And, that is how older tires compare to newer tires on wet roads. All of the comparisons were on dry roads.

Yes Jeff

I agree. Here in my environment I am a fair weather rider and am very hesitant to ride at all in winter even if a warm day pops up because the county and Caltrans spread small gravel and sand in snow season, I believe because salting the road went the way of the dinosaur. I wait for big trucks and such to blow that crap to the shoulder in Spring. Since I like to fish the river I don't mind that decision.

If I understood the above video correctly it isn't "manufacturer's hype" that says 5 years - it is us repeating old wife's tales and urban legends. I heard that one company says 7 years and several say 10 years.

yep

Right on Paul. I found on Michelin site they suggest to start monitoring with a professional shop after 5 years but replace for sure after 10. I got the front one on DIY and the rear has much more wear per the bars no cracks or rot, and winter approaches here in snow country so gonna scuff the front one in on the road in tomorrow. Rear is 7 plus born on date. Thanks for all inputs

Back