• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Telelever ?

EUGENE

Why did BMW stop using the telealever front forks? I had a 1150R.
Now the 1300GS is bring it back. What is the differant between the two?

They've had telelever since 1994. Lately, it's just on GSs and RTs, if I understand correctly. My 2019 1250GS has it and is why I bought that bike vs. an RS.

My 2010 R1200R had the telelever. My 2023 R1250GS has the telelever. Why do you think BMW stopped using it?

A lot of people don't like the telelever... especially those that like sport bikes. The telelever tends to have a vague feel to it, hiding a lot of the "road feel" of a conventional fork.

In the end, it turns into a love it or hate it situation. Apparently BMW has decided that more people hate it than love it so it's going away on machines that are set up for performance instead of comfort.

Personally, I'm in the love it camp... especially the lack of dive under hard braking.

A lot of people don't like the telelever... especially those that like sport bikes. The telelever tends to have a vague feel to it, hiding a lot of the "road feel" of a conventional fork.

In the end, it turns into a love it or hate it situation. Apparently BMW has decided that more people hate it than love it so it's going away on machines that are set up for performance instead of comfort.

Personally, I'm in the love it camp... especially the lack of dive under hard braking.

I'm also on the love side. Never been a fan of a lot of plastic on a motorcycle. I do want some wind protection. Therefore, I use handlebar shields. These often cause high speed handling problems on bikes with conventional forks. My 2004 R1150R with telelever feels like on rails at any speed.
r

Companies that attempt to occupy the “premium” segment of any business must differentiate their products somehow. I suspect BMW introduced and continues to offer the telelever primarily for that reason.

In the 80’s and early 90’s, anti-dive front suspension was a common feature on many motorcycles, and BMW’s telelever is very effective in that regard. I’m not sure but believe most other companies have abandoned their various anti dive solutions on modern bikes, and at any rate haven’t seen that feature advertised lately.

To me, the telelever imparts a feeling not unlike that of somewhat low front tire pressure, or maybe loose spokes. I think it’s because the telelever has less torsional stiffness compared to other front suspension designs. BMW claims the duolever on some of their other offerings has greater torsional strength for better road surface feedback, and the flex plate upper triple clamp on the new 1300 GS might be another way of improving that parameter on the telelever.

Now the 1300GS is bring it back.

I've had Telelever, Duolever and now conventional USD forks. The USD forks simply work better.

But OldCamper makes a valid point regarding premium motorcycles.

One's opinion may differ than mine.

I'm also on the love side. Never been a fan of a lot of plastic on a motorcycle. I do want some wind protection. Therefore, I use handlebar shields. These often cause high speed handling problems on bikes with conventional forks. My 2004 R1150R with telelever feels like on rails at any speed.
r

Waitaminnit. We have the same last name. I'm 65 and have met only one other person with our last name that I wasn't directly related to.

Nice to meet you!

Sorry for the diversion. Carry on. Telelever is awesome. :ha

I've had Telelever, Duolever and now conventional USD forks. The USD forks simply work better.

But OldCamper makes a valid point regarding premium motorcycles.

One's opinion may differ than mine.

USD forks work so well for a number of reasons (unsprung weight reduction, etc) but certainly one of this reasons is that USDs from the get-go had larger diameter downtubes that cured a lot of flex found in earlier, more willowy forks. That’s a good thing, tho Erv Kanemoto and others discovered back in the 70s/80s that it was possible to make a chassis and fork so stiff that they induced their own handling issues. The Telelever is also stiffer than most of the forks that preceded it, which may be what some interpret as a loss of “feel”. But my observation is that the OEM shock on most of the Telelever bikes was a bigger factor, and that these bikes really transform with the change to a quality aftermarket shock.

The Duolever on my K1300GT is, IMHO, the only fork BMW has produced that is worse than those of the 81-84 Airheads (R80G/S excepted). Even a top-notch aftermarket shock hasn’t fixed the harshness and poor feedback from that front end.
But, as you so clearly pointed out, one’s opinion may differ from mine. :)

Best,
DeVern

The Duolever on my K1300GT is, IMHO, the only fork BMW has produced that is worse than those of the 81-84 Airheads (R80G/S excepted). Even a top-notch aftermarket shock hasn’t fixed the harshness and poor feedback from that front end.
But, as you so clearly pointed out, one’s opinion may differ from mine. :)

I had a K1200GT with the same Duolever front set up. I will say it did exactly what they claimed it would do which was to isolate suspension and braking action from the steering. The problem was it did it so well it left the rider with no feedback from the front tire which left me feeling like it was very vague when cornering. This was actually worse because it ended up feeling loose and uncertain. I could corner far more confidently on my old R1100RS with the first Telelever and my new RT with the latest variation of Telelever.

Right. It never went away, but as the anti-dive technology can help some riders at low speed or in the dirt (RT-P, GS), the sport bikes and sport tourer continue to use traditional forks to allow better performance at speed - feedback - as noted above - and the physics that makes it easier to lean into a turn as the front end kneels down with heavy breaking....

So what is so different about the R1300 GS front end from the past models? :type

The telelever lower ball joint moves in an arc as the front suspension compresses, so the top suspension tube mount has to allow for slight angular movement.

The new 1300 GS apparently (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) has a “flex plate” at that junction, which might stiffen that connection a bit and improve feedback. This is entirely speculation on my part, BTW. I have not ridden or even seen the new bike yet.

The telelever lower ball joint moves in an arc as the front suspension compresses, so the top suspension tube mount has to allow for slight angular movement.

The new 1300 GS apparently (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) has a “flex plate” at that junction, which might stiffen that connection a bit and improve feedback. This is entirely speculation on my part, BTW. I have not ridden or even seen the new bike yet.

I 'm not to sure very many have seen the 1300 yet.:brow

Money has a lot to do with it as well. Telelever and others like it generally cost more to manufacture than standard forks. Most of today's fork assemblies and internals can be purchased "off the shelf" by manufacturers at a considerable cost savings.

Back