• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'05 R1200ST - Stumped on diagnosing this problem - all suggestions / comments welcome

hobie18

About a year ago I had an apparently minor accident on my 2005 R1200ST where I rolled into the back of a van at a walking speed but never dropped the bike. Most of the damage appeared to be to the fiberglass fairing, but ever since the bike has a characteristic that it wants to serve left whenever the C-o-G shifts forward under deceleration or braking. It very much feels like a gyroscopic effect where the center line of the wheel is not aligned with the bike center line; possibly tilted vertically or canted to one side (??) Otherwise it seems to track normally under power. A well-qualified local shop, under consultation from the local BMW service manager has replaced both ball joints (“were bent”), the front fork tubes and seals (“tubes off by < 1 mm”); and the front axle (they found a wobble but the 1st new replacement had the same wobble so that could be an unrelated manufacturing problem). They have examined the frame welds at the head and could not find any signs of cracks or bends.

That brings me to my question, hoping that someone there may have some experience with this kind of a problem. A similar steering characteristic on a standard fork bike could indicate there probably was a fork alignment issue, and that could be the problem here, but what alignment adjustments can be done with the BMW front end? Are there other parts that could be damaged that have not yet been replaced? Is there any way I can check to see if the frame is bent? If there is damage to the frame, is there anyone that can straighten it?

The bike has less than 74,000 miles on it and is in otherwise really good condition. I would hate to think it’s a total loss. Can anyone suggest what to do next? (For the record, the local BMW shop will not work on a bike older than 10 years so there is no other assistance to be gained from them).

If you hit hard enough to bend the ball joint spindles and fork tubes, it’s possible the upper portion of the frame or the telelever is also bent. BMW used to have a frame alignment jig and specs back in the airhead days, but not every dealer had one. I don’t know if such a jig and the corresponding specs are available for the later machines but would suggest inquiring about it with dealers—tho they may still quote the 10yr cutoff. If the jigging is out there you’d have a chance at someone being willing to look at your bike.

Best,
DeVern

If you hit hard enough to bend the ball joint spindles and fork tubes, it’s possible the upper portion of the frame or the telelever is also bent. BMW used to have a frame alignment jig and specs back in the airhead days, but not every dealer had one. I don’t know if such a jig and the corresponding specs are available for the later machines but would suggest inquiring about it with dealers—tho they may still quote the 10yr cutoff. If the jigging is out there you’d have a chance at someone being willing to look at your bike.

Best,
DeVern

Actually, I'm not sure the ball joints were actually bent as I never saw them; that conclusion was hearsay. The steering had been a little loose for a while and I suspect they were worn and ready for replacement and looked to be bent. As for the forks, the "worst" one was out by less than 1 mm when turned in a lathe. The other was much less. By the time they found that, they were on the 3rd or 4th try at a solution. The replacement made no difference in handling. None of the other metal parts like the fairing mounts are bent and the fairing took a lot of the impact - but cracked (not broken). The local dealer has only been here a couple years and I think BMW is fairly new for that dealership chain. I'll have to check around to find an older dealer that might have a way to check the alignments. I was thinking of checking with a custom shop too that might have equipment to check alignments.

There are still some specifically "frame guys" out there; also check around for any local (or not...) m/c high-performance shops.

Back