• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is it time to upgrade?

bearsfan

Is this the time?

Curious to hear everyones thoughts on when best time to upgrade is.

I am loving my 2022 F750GS - she has around 6500 miles on her ( bought with 3000 ) and most important she is PAID OFF!!!

However my heart is still set on that 1250GS especially since I started doing more riding with a pillion - girlfriend and I are planning some long range trips as well.

The power diference is noticable with a pillion on board.

My plan was to wait until the 1300GS started selling at dealers and then search for a used 1250GS but BMW is now running a 0 % financing / 3 years on new 2023 1250 GS on floor.
This has me thinking maybe this is a good time to trade in my 750 and upgrade. Once I upgrade, I envision owning that bike until the wheels fall off - lol!.

What does everyone think ....
Should I continue to wait another year and see if a good deal can be found on a used 1250 trade-in? (Every video review I watch on the 1300GS is saying how amazing it is, maybe we'll see many people trading in their 1250's ??)
Should I strike now and make a deal on a new 2023 1250GS? Maybe a great deal can be found to make way for the 1300's.
Should I wait and upgrade to the 1300GS in a few years and not look at the 1250 at all?
Am i completely off base and should just keep the 750 since she is paid off?

Greatly appreciate everyones thoughts, insights and recommendations?

Make it a great day!

The 1250 is tried, tested and proven..unless there are features on the 1300 that, for you, make the risk of being a beta tester for BMW worth the price of admission..buy the 1250 and take the financing deal.

I would try the GS two-up and see how you like it......just to be sure. Sounds like you will have a good down payment with your trade. :thumb

Goos luck.

OM

I put 13k on a new 2013 F700GS and then traded it in for a 2015 R1200GS in early 2016. I got a good deal on the R1200 because the 2016 models were arriving. I have more than 50k on it now, and I like it a lot more than the F700, especially above ~55 mph or two-up. I'm sure they are very nice bikes, but I don't have any urge to upgrade to an R1250 or R1300. If you can get a good deal on a 1250 I'd go for it, but it's easy for me to spend your money. ;)

Cheers, Ken

Get the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. If they both would put a similar smile on your face, then get the 1250 if you can save a few bucks.

My wife and I both enjoyed the tour of Ireland on a R1250GS, but if I was shopping, the weight savings of the R1300GS might sway me. I would have to ride both to see if the 27 pound difference was worth the price. The 1250 is a sweet ride.

Doug

While a 1250/1300 will certainly have more power, whether it is actually an upgrade is really a matter of your own personal opinion. Remember there will also be more weight and different maintenance concerns and associated cost. The telelever and shaft drive have a certain effect on overall handling as well.

Have you considered purchasing a clean, low-mileage used 1200/1250 GS to see if you would actually be happier with one? Then, if you do like it, you can trade it later for a new 1300 after the worst bugs are fixed and not get hit with new bike depreciation if a boxer doesn’t work for you.

WAIT! Seriously, you need to wait to see if this girlfriend thing works out. Remember the 750 is paid for, if this girlfriend hangs around, you’ll need majority of your funds for maintenance…and I’m not talking bike maintenance! 😂

Just a mention to be careful watching videos. They all fawn all over the bike they’re “testing”.
They’re all various states of “like” or “recommend” .. even when they rarely point out something they don’t like, they say “don’t let that stop you from buying one”.

Show me just one review where they say it sucks, don’t buy it.

different maintenance concerns and associated cost. T.

The OP could call his shop and ask for the costs of the 6,000 mile,12,000 mile and annual service for the 750 and 1250.
I'm guessing the valve check and spark plug change on the 1250 is cheaper.

While I think any of us would love to purchase the new 1300, i think you have the right idea about taking advantage of the deals on the 1250's. if you are riding pillion and thinking about longer trips, you will love the 1250's. I've had an RT and a presently own a 1250 GSA. If you don't plan on going off road, the RT is super fun and probably more comfortable for your pillion. However, the GSA is such a versatile beast all around, I can't go back. It clicks all the boxes. As someone else said, what feels good to you and what you can afford. They all put a smile on my face!

NJOYLIF

Is this the time?

Curious to hear everyones thoughts on when best time to upgrade is.

I am loving my 2022 F750GS - she has around 6500 miles on her ( bought with 3000 ) and most important she is PAID OFF!!!

However my heart is still set on that 1250GS especially since I started doing more riding with a pillion - girlfriend and I are planning some long range trips as well.

The power diference is noticable with a pillion on board.

My plan was to wait until the 1300GS started selling at dealers and then search for a used 1250GS but BMW is now running a 0 % financing / 3 years on new 2023 1250 GS on floor.
This has me thinking maybe this is a good time to trade in my 750 and upgrade. Once I upgrade, I envision owning that bike until the wheels fall off - lol!.

What does everyone think ....
Should I continue to wait another year and see if a good deal can be found on a used 1250 trade-in? (Every video review I watch on the 1300GS is saying how amazing it is, maybe we'll see many people trading in their 1250's ??)
Should I strike now and make a deal on a new 2023 1250GS? Maybe a great deal can be found to make way for the 1300's.
Should I wait and upgrade to the 1300GS in a few years and not look at the 1250 at all?
Am i completely off base and should just keep the 750 since she is paid off?

Greatly appreciate everyones thoughts, insights and recommendations?

Make it a great day!

There has never been a better time to buy a 1250GS. BMW is offering $500 customer cash and 0% financing, or if you buy in MIchigan, Indiana, Kentucky and a handful of other states, they are offering 6.5% financing on Easyride and $4470 in Easyriode credit off the price of the bike. Feel free to text me for more details: 734-330-3858. I LOVE my GSA! And at my dealership, 6,000 mile service is about $250 and the 12,000 mile is about $550.

Back